USCIS Case Administratively Closed

About a month after my wife received her green card last year, we received notification that USDOS had returned the case to the USCIS for an unspecified reason. Never once was there an explanation.

I tried following up with the USCIS, but they had no information and said our case was under review. Last month, I contacted the USCIS again to seek any update. They filed a case and said I should hear back in 15-30 days. Today, I received a very short letter from the USCIS that stated the following:

"The status of this service request is:
Upon review it was determined that your case was administratively closed on May xx, 2016. You may wish to refile or seek advice from an accredited immigration attorney or non-profit organization.
We hope this information is helpful to you."

We have no idea whatsoever what this could be about, but it's just further poking at us from the past three years of torture we've been subjected.

About a month after my wife received her green card last year, we received notification that USDOS had returned the case to the USCIS for an unspecified reason. Never once was there an explanation.

I tried following up with the USCIS, but they had no information and said our case was under review. Last month, I contacted the USCIS again to seek any update. They filed a case and said I should hear back in 15-30 days. Today, I received a very short letter from the USCIS that stated the following:

Upon review it was determined that your case was administratively closed on May xx, 2016. You may wish to refile or seek advice from an accredited immigration attorney or non-profit organization.

We have no idea whatsoever what this could be about, but it's just further poking at us from the past three years of torture we've been subjected.

This is your K-1 case that was closed ?? Apparently, nothing that affects her current status.

This is your K-1 case that was closed ?? Apparently, nothing that affects her current status.

No, it's the current case; the I-130. She received her green card in March, and then in April USDOS returned the case to the USCIS for review. She has a conditional green card right now, and we haven't a clue as to what's happening or why with this case. The K1 case was returned by USDOS in early 2015. About a year later, USCIS closed the case without prejudice as it had gone beyond the initial four-month time period. So, we married and filed again.

No, it's the current case; the I-130. She received her green card in March, and then in April USDOS returned the case to the USCIS for review. She has a conditional green card right now, and we haven't a clue as to what's happening or why with this case. The K1 case was returned by USDOS in early 2015. About a year later, USCIS closed the case without prejudice as it had gone beyond the initial four-month time period. So, we married and filed again.

The United States Dept. of State APPROVED her visa at Guangzhou. She HAND CARRIED her CASE FILE with her when she traveled to America to RETURN it to the USCIS. The GREEN CARD was awarded after processing at the POE.

There is nothing the Dept. of State would have jurisdiction over at this point. I suppose that there could have been some flotsam floating around in her file that was "sent back".

You may wish to talk to a lawyer, or to set up an InfoPass appointment, but my guess (and this is strictly a guess) is that it may be feasible to not even do anything. "your case was administratively closed on May xx, 2016".

I think it's just the dregs of her file, perhaps something left behind at Guangzhou, rearing their little heads.

The green card CAN be revoked - she CAN be deported - but ONLY through the immigration courts in the U.S. You would be notified if that were the case.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

The United States Dept. of State APPROVED her visa at Guangzhou. She HAND CARRIED her CASE FILE with her when she traveled to America to RETURN it to the USCIS. The GREEN CARD was awarded after processing at the POE.

There is nothing the Dept. of State would have jurisdiction over at this point. I suppose that there could have been some flotsam floating around in her file that was "sent back".

You may wish to talk to a lawyer, or to set up an InfoPass appointment, but my guess (and this is strictly a guess) is that it may be feasible to not even do anything. "your case was administratively closed on May xx, 2016".

I think it's just the dregs of her file, perhaps something left behind at Guangzhou, rearing their little heads.

The green card CAN be revoked - she CAN be deported - but ONLY through the immigration courts in the U.S. You would be notified if that were the case.

Agree with your assessment. None of what they've done to us has made sense since the beginning and we've never been provided even a 'smidgen' of explanation as to why they are forking with us. I would like to kick the this wise ass / asses right in the nuts / queefer.

Waiting for reply from our counselor, but I think this thing rests just about where you put it. The concern though is what may happen when we file for Removal Of Conditions.

Just found this:

EOIR Notice Regarding Prosecutorial Discretion and Administrative Closure
In 2011, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) announced a newprocess to ensure that its resources are focused on its highest enforcement priorities. This process is referred to as "prosecutorial discretion," or "PD." Under PD, DHS reviews pending cases to see whether theymeet certain criteria for cases that are considered a low enforcement priority. If a case meets the criteria, DHS may request "administrative closure" of the case.
"Administrative closure" is an order by the court that removes the case from the court's calendar of hearings. Administrative closure does not mean that your case is completed or that the court has granted any application for relief that you may have filed with the court. If the court orders your case administratively closed, it simply means you will have no further hearings unless you or DHS specifically ask the court to schedule a hearing.
DHS is currently reviewing cases already filed with and pending before the Immigration Court to see whether any cases should be administratively closed. If DHS agrees that your case meets the PD criteria, then DHS may file a motion asking the court to administratively close your case. Immigration judges are prepared to adjudicate these motions on a case-by-case basis as they are filed.
If you need further guidance regarding PD, you should contact an attorney or representative. If you have any questions, you may also contact the Office of the Chief Counsel (the attorney for DHS). Contact information for the Office of the Chief Counsel is available at the following website: http://www.ice.gov/contact/opla/.