Hello everyone!

We are still waiting for approving our i-130 petition, but i am already planning my documents for the interview. And i was thinking about one thing - couple years ago i had my documents (birth certificate and so on) translated (into English) and notirised in Russia. Will it be enough for the Embassy or shall i make additional translation in China?

Kind regards,

Natalia

Your existing translations should be fine. Make photo copies to turn in at the interview and keep the originals for future uses.

Forgot to ask about one more thing. I got my non criminal record (for the time when i lived in Russia) in Russian consulate in Shanghai. Its in English. Did i have to notirize it? or legalize at the consulate?

That should also be fine, the consulate should recognize it for what it is.

dnoblett, thank you!

Whoever translated the document probably made a note of who they are and stated they are conversant in both languages and that it is an accurate translation.

If they did not "certify" it, if you know someone who is conversant in both languages, simply have them make a notation.

Typically the notation can be like this:

I, (name of translator), am competent to translate from (language) into English, and certify that the translation of (name of document) is true and accurate to the best of my abilities.

(signature of translator) (typed/printed name of translator)

(address of translator)

(telephone number of translator)

• 4 months later...

Whoever translated the document probably made a note of who they are and stated they are conversant in both languages and that it is an accurate translation.

If they did not "certify" it, if you know someone who is conversant in both languages, simply have them make a notation.

Typically the notation can be like this:

I, (name of translator), am competent to translate from (language) into English, and certify that the translation of (name of document) is true and accurate to the best of my abilities.

(signature of translator) (typed/printed name of translator)

(address of translator)

(telephone number of translator)

Does this mean I can get my wedding certificate translated by a friend without having to go to a translator?

Does this mean I can get my wedding certificate translated by a friend without having to go to a translator?

Yes, if it is in Russian have a friend do the translation and certify their translation.