Huangyao and Yangshuo 2016

Highlights of the trip - Huangyao is always interesting, although my favorite tree there seems to be needing a hefty set of crutches (and undergone major surgery).

"Western food" restaurants may be falling by the wayside as their business falls off, and their western proprietors head back home, but it seems to be getting easier to find western-style items on various menus. I had two of the BEST Philly cheesesteak sandwiches I've had ANYWHERE. The German Beer House restaurant on West Street is still going strong.

We had a nice trip up the Yulong River (by car - too cold and windy for a raft trip). We found two of the three ancient bridges (they told us the third had fallen to rubble, and no one but a few old timers knew where it was).

And . . . we stayed at the Secret Garden in Jiuxian. It seems to be acquiring some fairly heavy competition there. Jiaying took a LOT of pictures on her cell phone around our room - I think she'll be using some ideas she got there on her own building.

The road to the Secret Garden got a little winding and narrow

gallery_1846_695_343626.jpg

gallery_1846_695_495592.jpg

The Philly cheesesteak I had there was EXCELLENT! On the menu as black pepper sauce beef and cheese baguette

gallery_1846_695_339459.jpg

the second of three ancient bridges - Dragon Bridge

gallery_1846_695_6384.jpg

Just DON'T do it!

gallery_1846_695_1028065.jpg

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I'll keep working on getting some pictures up - still moving pretty slowly since we got back.

It seemed like photography day in Huangyao - almost as many REAL cameras as cellphones. The shop on the left with the big jugs is a jiu (liquor) shop - lots of those with local liquor.

gallery_1846_694_668452.jpg