N-400, PART 6, Question 3

Part 6 is partly basing citizenship on parent, since you did not adopt and are step parent, this part is biological parent.

Part 6 is partly basing citizenship on parent, since you did not adopt and are step parent, this part is biological parent.

Thank you very much. You've helped me out many times in past. I assume by your answer that my step son leaves this part blank. Thanks again!

Yes, this section is asking if either biological or adoptive parent is a US Citizen which in many cases could establish citizenship of applicant depending on applicant's age when the parent became a citizen.

In this case biological parent is not a US citizen so does not need to be noted, and since you did not adopt, but are only step parent, you are not noted either.

Part 6. Information About Your Parents

If neither one of your parents is a United States citizen, skip this part and go to Part 7.

Citizenship of Parents. Complete Item Numbers 1., 2., and 3. in Part 6. Select “No” if your mother or father are not U.S. citizens and proceed to the next Item Number or Part as directed on the form.

If one or both of your parents is a U.S. citizen, select “Yes” and complete Items A. - E. in Item Number 2. (mother’s citizenship) and Items A. - E. in Item Number 3. (father’s citizenship) in Part 6.

N-400 Instructions (Page 7)