A meeting with Belsnickel

OrionM31

The Elf looked at the bald man behind a large ornate desk. He was trembling in fear for some reason. "Sir, they somehow got out from where we put them. I don't know how they were able to get away." The elf trembled some more and continued, "Somehow news got to the Norwegians and they were able to get out everyone involved." He started to break down and cry, "There was nothing I could do sir! I tried to delay them for as long as I could! Don't do anything to my family!"

The fat man behind the desk leaned over to the short elf. His black uniform wrinkled from being worn way too long. He also stunk of coal dust, an honest thing being here at the South Pole. That is all they do here, mostly mining the coal for all the bad people on Santa's list. What most people didn't realize is that Santa had a twin, and all the people on Santa's bad list got put on the fat man's shoulders for him to deliver the coal. If only I was born first, the man thought. I would have made a grand Santa, but nooo? I have to be down here in the south taking care of all the BAD PEOPLE! It was days like these he wished he had never been born. That is neither here nor there though. He knew that there had to be a Santa for the bad boys and girls? Hell, I knew that the plan won't work for long. My brother is very clever and has resources I cannot bribe or control. He waved his hand in dismissal, "You may leave." A look of relief appeared on the Elf's face, but the fat man leaned in closer. "Your family will have a little less coal this quarter because of your bungling. The only reason I do not do more is because I need the coal you mine. Now be gone!" The Elf scurried away while the fat man slumped in his chair once more.

He looked at the fire that was burning. It's flame licking the fireplace like a live thing. He also noticed a picture on the mantle that he hasn't seen in quite sometime. He got up from his chair and wandered over to the mantle to take a closer look. It was a picture of a happy man with a smallish woman next to him. The man looked similar to the fat man, if he lost about 100 pounds and 20 years of his life. A tear came to his eye as he stared longingly at the lovely woman that was next to the man. He reached out with his finger and stroked the picture where she was. A feeling of sadness started to overcome him as a voice from behind said, "You still miss her, don't you?"

The fat man turned and noticed he was looking in a mirror. Then his eyes noticed the difference in the suit, it was mostly red, with fuzzy white collars and a wide black belt. It was Santa Claus.

"There must be something in my eye, perhaps the smell of eggnog and chocolate chip cookies." He frowned at his brother, "So, what do I owe the pleasure of your visit brother?" His emphasis at the last word made it sound like a bad word, uttered in contempt.

"My dear Belsnickel, don't you think you have suffered enough pain?" His look that he gave his brother was of caring, "Mei Ling was a nice woman. I am sure mother would have taken her in as one of her own daughters. Why did you end it with her? You had never told me? "The fat man known as Belsnickel sat heavily into his ornate chair.

"Chris, You don't know the pressure of being the bad guy, especially at this time of year. There are even bad people that I do not want to see, and they deserve all the coal I could give them." He turned away from his brother, "Why does this interest you? After all I did to mess your plans up. It certainly wasn't concern over my feelings I am sure." He snorted in distain. "I should have been born first, then you would be in this chair and we wouldn't be having this conversation."

"Maybe we would have Bel, You never know. My life would have been different, but this isn't about us, this is about Mei Ling. I knew how special she was to you." Chris reached out to his brother and he ignored the gesture and spat in anger.

"She was not special to me! What do you know!" His voice sounded as hollow as the lie he used to cover his real feelings.

"Don't blame the governments over what happened 20 years ago Bel, it isn't right." Chris laid his hand on his brother's shoulder and this time Bel did not ignore the touch. Bel turned and faced his brother.

"She was a wonderful woman!" Chris said. "Why didn't it work?"

"Because, Damn it!" Bels real feelings showed on his face, he was in anguish, "She deserved better then to be Belsnickle Claus! I didn't want her to be burdened with the thoughts of her husband being a bad man. Add that to the fact that no matter what I did in China, they always found a way to mess up the paperwork! I took great glee in handing out the coal the year that happened!" His anger spent, he sagged back into his chair. A look of melancholy was on his face. "I stopped talking to her, in hopes that she would stop writing me, but it seemed to make her more earnest in her pursuit of me." He looked in Chris' eyes and lowered his voice to a bare whisper, "Why Chris! What possesses her?"

Chris kneeled down and looked his brother straight in the eye. "I believe it is called love. She loves you for who you are, not for what you do." He patted his brother on the shoulder. "People do strange things for love. You know how many lives you have influenced because of your attempt at petty revenge? Many people will be without their loved ones this Christmas because of what your Elves did by ferreting out mine." Bels eyes lit up for a moment and then died down as Chris continued. "You don't think I wouldn't have spies keeping an eye on you did you?"

Bel snorted and said, "How else would you have gotten to me here? I am not the most available man you know."

"You know, Mei Ling still asks to know how you are." Santa looked at the mantle and noticed the picture there of the happy couple. He took it down and looked at it. "She was a real good catch, at least that is what mother said." Chris chuckled and his belly shook with the laughter. "She had said it would open a whole new door for us if you were to marry her. Think of all the children there that do not believe in us!" He placed the photo back on the mantle. "It might have even caused us to make Christmas into a two day holiday." He laughed merrily at his own joke and Bel couldn't help but laugh with his brother. Then he turned to Chris again and said, "Mei Ling has asked, about me?"

"Every Christmas ever since you stopped writing her, she has wrote me asking for you to be with her. You were never the kind of person I could get a hold of. I think you taught those people in Washington D.C. a thing about infinite waiting." His belly shook again with silent laughter. He reached into his sack and pulled out a bundle of mail. "Here are all her letters my brother. Won't you please write her? She misses you terribly!"

With trembling hands, Belsnickle took the letters from his brother. It was a very large pile of letters, almost 4 inches thick. "I see she still spells my name wrong, although I think she does that just to be cute," Bel said gruffly. He pulled the red ribbon that held the letters together and began to look at them. Seeing her handwriting again brought tears to the old mans eyes. "Perhaps I was hasty those many years ago. Do you think she will still have me?"

Chris, with a twinkle in his eye smiled and looked at his brother in merriment. "It's the Christmas season my brother, anything is possible!" He Chuckled and hugged his brother for a very long time.

<Guys! I couldn't help myself. I was thinking about this all day at work and had to write it down. Now we know what the real story is. :greenblob: I hope no one minds me writing it.>

Phil

Thanks for all the coments made. I do like to write and this story needed telling I think. :angry: All this would be rather interesting to see on the big screen. :blink:

My wife, Ru Fang sent me a Yahoo Christmas card this morning. I will have to call her and surprise her since I told her I would not be up for another hour. <chuckles> Have a happy christmas all!

Phil