G20 summit and Hangzhou

danb

Last year was the first time I had ever been to Hangzhou. The area around West Lake is very upscale. Very Pretty. We were there only for a day or two and it was drizzling and a bit chilly. Still a very nice place to visit. I hope the visitosr this week have better weather than we did. Here is a link to a story at the G20 summit in Hangzhou:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/30/asia/china-hangzhou-g20-2016/

Looks like the Chinese were trying to put on their best face possible. They definite are more able to accomplish that. I don't think our government would get away with closing down factories in a 200 miles of say LA for a week or two. Danb

The incident at the airport with Obama is no accident. When the two previous leaders of China went to the US to meet, they left disappointed with how they were received. After all, the Chinese are very much into formalities. Hu Jintao did not get an expected 21 gun salute, normally not done for such visits. After meeting with Bush, he set up a meeting with Bill Gates at his home in Redmond.

Xi Jinping also did appreciate the formalities when he came but it was not the lavish dinner attended by all the business heads of Disney, Microsoft, Apple, etc. (We learned something.) But it was the content of the summit. Xi Jinping went home with an agreement not to attack each others cyber networks and an agreement on climate change..Nothing on the South China Sea.

This incident at the airport was purposeful and not accidental or caused by landing in a provincial airport. China snubbed the president of the US. He should have turned around and gone back home.

• Like 1

Thanks for that vid. I wanted to like it, but the operatic singing and the overall 1950's-ish of it drove me to cut it short.

But, thanks.

Yeah, after noticing it was 53 min. long, I didn't go very far with it, either. Here's another picture from China Pictorial and Xinhua/ At least this guy gets to perform ABOVE the waterline

14183957_965175153607874_612167887106529

A pianist performs at the evening gala for the G20 Summit in Hangzhou, September 4, 2016. Produced by a team led by famed Chinese director Zhang Yimou, the evening gala is staged with the majestic West Lake as its background. It's based on Zhang's "Impression of West Lake" show, an astonishing performance that takes place right on the surface of the water, combining music, dance, and light effects against a natural backdrop. [Photo/Xinhua]