Applicant Travel to US with Visa B1/B2 after DS-260 is submitted

All - I have a general question about an applicant's travel to the USA prior to having her interview at GUZ. My wife and I are in the middle of completing DS-260.

My wife and live in Shanghai. I quit my job in Shanghai and we spent most of 2015 traveling. Last summer my wife received a 10 year tourist visa for the USA and we spent 2 and half months touring around the USA. After we returned to Shanghai we decided that we wanted to move to the US and thus needed to start her immigration process. We also applied for my wife's ITIN in order to file a joint tax return for 2015 and amend my taxes for the previous years we were married. So I got a big refund check for 2015 with both my wife's and my name on it. Problem: We are unable to deposit the check because it has both our names on it and the bank requires that we have a joint bank account. The Patriot Act has prevented us from adding her to account unless we go to the bank in person.

So, would we create any problems with NVC if she were to come with me to the USA for a week to add her to my bank account after we submit the DS-260?

Thanks!

I don't think NVC much cares about travels to and from the USA.

Only issue could you have, is the officer at the POE seeing a petition in progress, barring entrance to the USA thinking the intending immigrant is trying to avoid an interview at the consulate, and intending on adjusting status in the USA.

You may be able to cash the check with a little creativity and leg work, such as an account at another bank, or getting re-issued checks, one to each of you

This page may help - http://www.mybanktracker.com/news/2013/05/15/simon-says-deposit-check-written-payees/

Other banks are rather lenient. Citibank and online bank Capital One 360 simply required that checks are properly endorsed by all payees. They don’t stipulate that all payees must provide identification or maintain joint accounts.

Tip: In most cases, you would be better off asking the payer to write two separate checks. For checks issued by government agencies, you’d have to contact them for a reissued check.

For tax refunds, you can contact the Tax Help Line for Individuals at IRS by calling the toll-free number at (800) 829-1040 to ask for a new check.

Then again, you could always wait until she can make it to the U.S.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Only issue could you have, is the officer at the POE seeing a petition in progress, barring entrance to the USA thinking the intending immigrant is trying to avoid an interview at the consulate, and intending on adjusting status in the USA.

Your wife can use her visa to visit US for its intended purpose as long as the BP is convinced she is not going to stay but for visiting only. My wife did just that when her I-130 was stuck in NVC via LAX.

Can you just deposit at an ATM? I don't think bank really pays that much attention to those. Making a trip to open an account? really? Next time let the IRS do the electronic deposit for peace sake.

• Like 1

Your wife can use her visa to visit US for its intended purpose as long as the BP is convinced she is not going to stay but for visiting only. My wife did just that when her I-130 was stuck in NVC via LAX.

Can you just deposit at an ATM? I don't think bank really pays that much attention to those. Making a trip to open an account? really? Next time let the IRS do the electronic deposit for peace sake.

Without a joint account, the bank may reject the deposit either way - check with your bank first. If the electronic deposit is rejected, the IRS will mail a paper check.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Could always wait to deposit until she can immigrate to the USA using the immigrant visa not the visit visa.

Another SNAFU with banks is sometimes they require a SSN before they will open a joint account or add an immigrant to an existing account, so you may end up having to wait a couple weeks after she arrives to get an SSN in order to do banking.

Without a joint account, the bank may reject the deposit either way - check with your bank first. If the electronic deposit is rejected, the IRS will mail a paper check.

My tax refund filed jointly is always credited to my personal checking account electronically for years (since the '00s) If you think american banks gonna hire people to look at every check deposited at their ATM's, think again. Of course, if you walk into a bank and declare it is a joint tax refund check and ask for permission to deposit, you are just asking for scrutiny.

Also, banks are instructed that non-citizen or illegals CAN make deposit without showing SSN by LAWS, but in reality they will throw the kitchen sink at you to not patronize their business. It is just reality.

I have to filed a late return for 2013 after two visits to IRS office who refused to issue ITN to my wife even legally I HAVE to file taxes for her and was entitled to a ITN before her green card was finalized. It's just BS when they don't want your business to eat into their coffee breaks or they don't know their own rules (happens more often than you would like).

If the PO is in California, there are smaller minority banks that are more understanding about it.

Edited by jonathantwu (see edit history)

Everyone thank you for advice and help with our situation. Bank Of America will only allow us to have my wife personally come to the USA and open the account with two forms of ID. And If I try to deposit at the ATM without her name on the account they will still not deposit it. At this time I do not want try opening an account with another bank nor risk my wife being turned away by the office at the POE. So, I may try opening the account in person when I travel to the USA next month. I'll bring the endorsed check with her and my signature on it along with copies of her Passport/ID/Credit Card/Tax return and try to convince the local branch of BOA to allow me to deposit it. I'll let everyone know after I try. If it doesn't work I'll have to wait until she get the the USA. Thanks again everyone!

• Like 1

BofA is probably making stuff up about depositing check with joint refund check or it is the new IRS rules for the rampant mail theft here? Again, let the tax refund deposited to your account electronically next time. I miss the day all they want for a checking account is DL and you walked away with a toaster or frozen turkey voucher.

Edited by jonathantwu (see edit history)
  • 1 month later...

I have been in a similar situation -- received a tax refund check with both my wife and me as payees. We were able to deposit the check in my account at Bank of China. So, opening an account at Bank of China might be easier than traveling to the US.

Check your account statement, though. There will probably be a hold on it until the IRS funds it (I'm assuming you mean in China).

Wait and see, in other words. A creative solution, though, if it does work in a reasonable time frame. Let us know.