DS-260 CCP Question

On the DS-260 Form, in the "Security and Background Section", one of the questions is: "Are you a member of or affiliated with the Communist or other totalitarian party?"

The wording/tense of the question is what I am confused on. I have read through tons of CCP related posts on here, but still don't really know how to answer this question because I thought the question was supposed to be "Are you or have you ever been affiliated.....blah blah blah with the CCP", which includes the past tense aspect of it.

Anyway, here is my wifes case:

In 2012, her senior year of college, an advisor came to her (because her grades were top of the class) and suggested attending a training day/class affiliated with the Party. The advisor insisted she go so she went for the one day, paid a small fee to get a certificate, and that was the end of it. She never participated in any other events and hasn't paid her dues since that one time in 2012. I know even this one event counts as CCP related, but still need to know how to answer this question. Should I put down "Yes" and then provide the explanation I just mentioned? I thought at the time of the interview was the time to answer this question and then post interview fill out the CCP Waiver.

Any help and clarification would be much appreciated! Thanks guys!

-Flash

The best advise is to be honest.

Yes was 4 years ago and went nowhere, however the rule is must have terminated affiliation at least 5 years prior to petitioning for an immigrat visa to the USA.

Paying a fee and probably signed a form, thus was affiliated with the party.

A good read; https://www.ilw.com/articles/2012,0326-goroshit.shtm