My fiancé and I have just started the K1 process. We mailed off the forms a few days ago.

My question is since he had his name changed as a child (about 8 years old) will we need to show some sort of documentation regarding this name change? If so, I don't even know where we would go to get it. We did list his old name on the I-129F under the previously used names.

No document needed, simply list as "other names used" where it asks on the forms.

If name change was through adoption, then perhaps a copy of adoption certificate?

My wife had her name changed as an adult. We listed her former name under "Other names used", but we also got a notarized and translated document that stated that my wife's old name and new name belonged to the same person, ID number XXXXXX. In other words, any references to Hu Yifang and Hu Jinkui were referencing the same person. The certificate was obtained at the police station, and we made a white book out of it.

I don't know if that was needed or not, but we included it in the package of documents anyway. It was accepted, but never asked for. My wife passed her interview in December at Guangzhou (CR1)

I will post a copy of this document in my gallery

• 3 months later...

My fiance's mother just sent his birth certificate to him. The name on the certificate is his original name (obviously). Is this going to cause any problems? Are there any types of documents we can get to help with this? Perhaps the document that wawster mentioned will do the trick?

Edited by mattetress (see edit history)

My fiance's mother just sent his birth certificate to him. The name on the certificate is his original name (obviously). Is this going to cause any problems? Are there any types of documents we can get to help with this? Perhaps the document that wawster mentioned will do the trick?

If you indicated his birth name as "other names used" on the I-129F and on the G-325A this should be fine later when notary documents are needed in the process.

We got our NOA2 about two weeks ago and are gathering the other documents now. Just to clarify, since he actually has a birth certificate, will it still be necessary to get the white book for that? And as for the other documents I'm assuming just have them made in his current name and leave the birth certificate in his birth name since we did in fact include his birth name in the "other names used"? Sorry if I'm being redundant, I'm just trying to be as thorough as I can.

We got our NOA2 about two weeks ago and are gathering the other documents now. Just to clarify, since he actually has a birth certificate, will it still be necessary to get the white book for that? And as for the other documents I'm assuming just have them made in his current name and leave the birth certificate in his birth name since we did in fact include his birth name in the "other names used"? Sorry if I'm being redundant, I'm just trying to be as thorough as I can.

I am hesitant to rely on your statement that "he actually has a birth certificate", unless he is under the age of 25.

The consulate will be expecting an accompanying English language translation in the form of a white book produced by the Gong Zheng Chu (公证处). You won't go wrong by doing the same thing everyone else does by getting a Notarial Certificate of Birth - see

Chinese Essential Documents - White Books

More than a few people have started off with something they thought would be a "birth certificate", only to have it rejected at the consulate.

Hi there mattetress,

My wife did not have a birth certificate per se. She had a notarial statement attesting to her birth - this was translated and notarized in a in a white book. Even if you have the birth certificate (as my step-son did), get the white book.

Both my wife's name and my son's name had changed when she got divorced in 1997. As a result, we got a document for both of them attesting that Name A and Name B were the same person. These documents were then translated and notarized in a white book. I do not know specifically if they were needed or not, but I figured that the process had taken a long time, and it was best not to take chances.

• Like 1

Randy, He is 22 years old, and we're sure that it's a birth certificate. However, since we would need to get the translations made into a white book anyway, I think we will just get a notarial certificate of birth as you suggested. It does seem to be the safest bet, and they can probably issue it in his current name.

Wawster, I think we will try to get one of those as well. Better safe than sorry, right? Were there specific forms to fill out or did she just take their IDs and Hukou books in and request it?

Randy, He is 22 years old, and we're sure that it's a birth certificate. However, since we would need to get the translations made into a white book anyway, I think we will just get a notarial certificate of birth as you suggested. It does seem to be the safest bet, and they can probably issue it in his current name.

Wawster, I think we will try to get one of those as well. Better safe than sorry, right? Were there specific forms to fill out or did she just take their IDs and Hukou books in and request it?

Yes - the GongZhengShu (公证书֤) Notarial Certificate, or "white book" is the standard for ANY Chinese legal document to be used overseas. The difference is that you actually HAVE a birth certificate to base it on - most are based on the hukou.