Social Security while living in China?

Hi,

Just got back from a month over in Chengdu. Main topic by the entire family and especially the wife was that they wanted me to retire early (will be 62 next year in May) and live in China for an undetermined amount of time. My wife's parents are 87 and 78 and not in perfect health so us being there to care for them in these latter years is important. OK with me but was just wondering what stipulations the US Government makes for doing such a thing and still receive SS benefits. Do we have to retain an address here in the States? We plan on just traveling for a few months each year back here and live in Chengdu the remaining time. I'll leave the question at that. I went on ssa.com but to me it's confusing so was thinking maybe someone else has gone through this and could offer some suggestions.

THANKS!

A U.S. citizen is entitled to SS benefits no matter where they live. You CAN receive mail in China, but you will probably want to maintain a U.S. mailing address (as I do). I originally gave the SSA my Chinese address - a notice from them took 3 months to get here, but did arrive. You WILL need to be able to receive mailings reliably.

Just sign up for benefits when you are ready, and have a U.S. account that they can deposit electronically to. If you're interested, you can look into having the funds deposited to a Chinese bank, but this may not be possible. I simply wire money to myself (my bank lets me do this online) every few months.

The online sign-up for SS is straight forward.

Your wife can draw on your (spousal) benefits - if she has lived in the U.S. for 5 years. Otherwise, she will forfeit her benefits after living overseas for a period of time (90 days??)

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Oh - the SSA office for China is now located in Manila- http://manila.usembassy.gov/offices-agencies/social-security-administration.html

I have drawn SS for two years, and never once had to go there. I've been able to take care of it all online, including getting the payments started. I expect that if they need to see my face for some reason I'll be able to check in at the Guangzhou consulate, but I won't know that until the need arises. Like I said, make sure you can reliably receive your mail. They expect a response within 30 days - the notice that told me that took 3 months to get here.

Thanks for the info! So do they require/demand you have a US address? Or is this just for mailings. Which prompts me to ask...if you're living in China for numerous months/years at a time, how do you know if you have any mail at the US address?

If you want to receive mail, it's to your advantage to have the U.S. address. Mine is with a forwarding service who tells me when I receive mail, and can scan the contents.

Mail addressed to a Pinyin address in China can take 3 months or not arrive at all. If a Chinese address label is used, it's more reliable and will usually arrive in about 3 weeks by regular mail. EMS (or FedEx, DHL, or UPS, if they deliver where you are) usually one week. But getting an American business (including the SSA) to send mail using Chinese characters can be an exercise in futility.

When I mailed a letter within China myself, I was told that Chinese characters were REQUIRED.

The SSA requires that you respond within 30 days so that you don't lose your benefits, although I've never received anything that I needed to respond to.

The U.S. address is helpful for any financial accounts, including credit cards, or purchasing.

from the GUZ web site

Federal Benefits

Social Security Administration

American Citizen Services can provide basic information and forms regarding Social Security checks and acts as a disbursing agency for Social Security checks.

See more detailed information about Social Security benefits and procedures.

There is a regional Social Security office in Manila, Philippines that can assist with your specific questions if you are residing in the Asia-Pacific region. The contact information is:

American Embassy
1131 Roxas Blvd., Ermita
0930 Manila, Philippines
Fax: 632-522-1514
Email: FBU.Manila@ssa.gov
Tel: 632-301-2000

"If you want to receive mail, it's to your advantage to have the U.S. address. Mine is with a forwarding service who tells me when I receive mail, and can scan the contents."

So the address you have your mail sent to is for the forwarding service and not a personal residential home? Reason I ask is because I want to sell my home and use that money for living over there. Wife wants to rent it out but I know what a nightmare that can be. And since we'll be traveling most of the time we're in the States when we come back, to me having a home and renting it when you live 8000 miles away is just asking for stress. I appreciate your help!

"If you want to receive mail, it's to your advantage to have the U.S. address. Mine is with a forwarding service who tells me when I receive mail, and can scan the contents."

So the address you have your mail sent to is for the forwarding service and not a personal residential home? Reason I ask is because I want to sell my home and use that money for living over there. Wife wants to rent it out but I know what a nightmare that can be. And since we'll be traveling most of the time we're in the States when we come back, to me having a home and renting it when you live 8000 miles away is just asking for stress. I appreciate your help!

You TELL THEM what your mailing address is, regardless of who is there to receive it. I use USAMail1.com, but I'll stop short of recommending them because of some occasional glitches on the web site. They were highly recommended at the time (back in 2009), but you might have better luck with other similar services.

It's fairly expensive, but pretty much necessary.

• 7 months later...

For mail forwarding, I have been using PMI for 10 years. The service is good, and it's not too expensive if you don't ask them to forward to often. One nice thing -- my address with them looks like a residence, not a mail-forwarding service, and that has benefits sometimes.

As others have said, you are certainly eligible to receive SS benefits regardless of where you live (as long as it's not Cuba or Afghanistan or North Korea).

Regarding the SS office in Manila: I have successfully communicated with them via phone and e-mail. Not too bad.

Edited by ciao (see edit history)

For mail forwarding, I have been using PMI for 10 years. The service is good, and it's not too expensive if you don't ask them to forward to often. One nice thing -- my address with them looks like a residence, not a mail-forwarding service, and that has benefits sometimes.

As others have said, you are certainly eligible to receive SS benefits regardless of where you live (as long as it's not Cuba or Afghanistan or North Korea).

Regarding the SS office in Manila: I have successfully communicated with them via phone and e-mail. Not too bad.

You can receive your SS benefits to a U.S. bank regardless of where you live.

I've never had ANY contact with the SS office. When I first signed up, I was assuming that I would need to at least go to the U.S. consulate in Guangzhou - not necessary.

• 11 months later...

from the GUZ web site

Federal Benefits

American Citizen Services can provide basic information and forms regarding Social Security checks and acts as a disbursing agency for Social Security checks.

See more detailed information about Social Security benefits and procedures.

There is a regional Social Security office in Manila, Philippines that can assist with your specific questions if you are residing in the Asia-Pacific region. The contact information is:

American Embassy

1131 Roxas Blvd., Ermita

0930 Manila, Philippines

Fax: 632-522-1514

Email: FBU.Manila@ssa.gov

Tel: 632-301-2000

I hope this doesn't mean that I would have to go to the Philipines if they need a "warm body" check

The Social Security Administration (SSA) has consolidated its overseas operations into several regional offices that provide a full range of SSA services for U.S. citizens residing outside of the United States. Effective October 1, 2017, individuals residing in the People's Republic of China who require social security services or have questions about SSA benefits must contact the SSA Federal Benefits Unit (FBU) located in the Philippines, rather than China.

Please, be advised that as of October 1, the U.S. Embassy and all Consulates General in China can no longer accept telephone calls, emails, or walk-in consultations regarding Social Security issues.

For more information or any questions about the services provided at the FBU in the Philippines and how to contact them, please visit their webpage at https://ph.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/social-security/. You can also reach them at (00632) 301-2000 ext 9 or FBU.Manila@ssa.gov.

For comprehensive information on SSA?s services abroad, please visit SSA?s webpage Service Around the World [links to . ]https://www.ssa.gov/foreign/].

If you are already receiving SSA benefits payments, there will be no change in the method of distribution of those payments.