Translation of Documents

I think this will probably be my last question for now, as I am winding down on all of the paperwork, and just having everything ready well before the time of petitioning for my wife even starts.

1. Notarization/translation of beneficiary’s birth certificate
  2. Notarization/translation of beneficiary’s hukou
  3. Notarization/translation of beneficiary’s criminal background check
  4. Notarization/translation of beneficiary’s marriage certificate
  5. Notarization/translation of petitioner’s marriage certificate
  6. Notarization/translation of child(ren)’s birth certificate

I know I am supposed to go to the GongZhengChu with my wife to get these documents (besides the police docs which can be picked up from any big gonganju, and the marriage certificates which we already have since we got married in China)

So my questions:

1. Do we go to any old Gongzhengchu in the province (we live in the same province that she is from, just a different city about an hour north) to get these aforementioned documents, or do we have to go back to her hometown?

2. When we get these documents, do they come "pre-translated" or do we have to take it to get translated? If so, where?

I think this is the last piece of the puzzle documents wise that we need to get down, then I think our "documents packets" for both the petitioning and the intake day/interview will be good to go. :)

Thanks all.

What you NEED are what is known as notarial certificates - white books - which include a certified copy of the original Chinese document and an English translation. See http://candleforlove.com/forums/topic/48295-chinese-essential-documents-white-books/?p=626021

The hukou is NOT needed in white book format for your visa petition or application - only ONE marriage certificate is needed.

All Chinese documentation to be used abroad is processed through the notary offices and issued in the form of notarial certificates (known as "white books"). Notarial offices are located in all major Chinese cities and in rural county seats

Bring the hukou, and ask at the Notarial Offices (Gong Zheng Chu). Some have reported being able to get this done at other than the home town hukou office, while others have reported being sent to their home town.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Randy,

I read the information you posted on Chinese documents English translation here: http://candleforlove.com/forums/topic/48295-chinese-essential-documents-white-books/?p=626021

It was very informative.

I have some additional questions regarding the following information that was posted in that thread:

If you wish to obtain a criminal record clearance from the Chinese authorities, you will need to apply for a Certificate of No Criminal Record ֤

* To apply for a certificate while you are resident in China, you should apply to your local Public Security Bureau.
* To obtain a certificate after you have left China you should contact the local PSB. However you can also try service companies that offer services to help foreign residents.
* In Shanghai's district (Including municipality of Shanghai, provinces of Jiangsu, Anhui and Zhejiang), the local Notary Public is responsible for issuing such a certificate.
* In Guangzhou and Shenzhen, the local Notary Public is responsible for issuing such a certificate.
* In Chongqing's district (Including municipality of Chongqing, provinces of Sichuan, Yunan and Guizhou), the nearest police station (to be visited first) and the local Notary Public are both responsible for issuing such a certificate.
* In Beijing, the Shuang Xiong company offers this service for current or former residents of Beijing

Their contact details are:

No.3 Dongdajie (100m east of Public Security Bureau), Andingmen, Dong Cheng District
Tel: +86 10 6402 7616 / 6402 7596; Fax: +86 10 6402 7596
Email: shuangxiong516@sina.com

I checked with this company in Beijing and they mentioned that we could apply to have the certificate of No Criminal Record in both Chinese and English.

My questions are:

# If we have the document made in Chinese, can we do the translation and notarization from the notary offices like Beijing Fang Yuan ? Will this work to submit to US embassy in Guangzhou?

#Or do we have to make the certificate in English? And if I make the certificate in English, does this still need to be notarized from the notary office?

Thank you very much in advance!

Hi Randy,

I read the information you posted on Chinese documents English translation here: http://candleforlove.com/forums/topic/48295-chinese-essential-documents-white-books/?p=626021

It was very informative.

I have some additional questions regarding the following information that was posted in that thread:

If you wish to obtain a criminal record clearance from the Chinese authorities, you will need to apply for a Certificate of No Criminal Record ֤

* To apply for a certificate while you are resident in China, you should apply to your local Public Security Bureau.

* To obtain a certificate after you have left China you should contact the local PSB. However you can also try service companies that offer services to help foreign residents.

* In Shanghai's district (Including municipality of Shanghai, provinces of Jiangsu, Anhui and Zhejiang), the local Notary Public is responsible for issuing such a certificate.

* In Guangzhou and Shenzhen, the local Notary Public is responsible for issuing such a certificate.

* In Chongqing's district (Including municipality of Chongqing, provinces of Sichuan, Yunan and Guizhou), the nearest police station (to be visited first) and the local Notary Public are both responsible for issuing such a certificate.

* In Beijing, the Shuang Xiong company offers this service for current or former residents of Beijing

No.3 Dongdajie (100m east of Public Security Bureau), Andingmen, Dong Cheng District

I checked with this company in Beijing and they mentioned that we could apply to have the certificate of No Criminal Record in both Chinese and English.

My questions are:

# If we have the document made in Chinese, can we do the translation and notarization from the notary offices like Beijing Fang Yuan ? Will this work to submit to US embassy in Guangzhou?

#Or do we have to make the certificate in English? And if I make the certificate in English, does this still need to be notarized from the notary office?

The best information might come from the company itself, or the consulate.

I had found the reference to the Shuang Xiong company on the British Embassy website. I see that that link is no longer there, and the Shuang Xiong company no longer has a website. I'm glad to hear that they're still in business, but I have no further information about them.

If you can easily get a notarial certificate from the report, that's probably the best way to go. Otherwise, the Shuang Xiong report (with English translation) may be good enough.

Hi Randy,

It was very informative.

My questions are:

The best information might come from the company itself, or the consulate.

I had found the reference to the Shuang Xiong company on the British Embassy website. I see that that link is no longer there, and the Shuang Xiong company no longer has a website. I'm glad to hear that they're still in business, but I have no further information about them.

If you can easily get a notarial certificate from the report, that's probably the best way to go. Otherwise, the Shuang Xiong report (with English translation) may be good enough.

Just wanted to post what I know now after visiting them to make my police report (hopefully it would help someone looking for the information as well)

ShuangXiong company is still in business and works from Mon-Fri.

If you tell them you need it for the US embassy, they can make it in English and have it notarized as well >> the "white book" with 公证书 on it.

So, that should be enough for the police report from Beijing.

I requested for "express" service which cost me 952 RMB !! ( 300 for certificate in English + 352 for Notarization + 300 for express service).

Even "express" service takes 8 working days..!

and regular charge is 552 RMB for the English document and would need 17 working days...(17 ?!!)

What you need:

1. Your current passport + all the passport with your Chinese visa

2. Most recent Temporary residence permit

# Do take 2 photo copies of the bio page of the passport

# 2 photo copies of your most recent Chinese visa

# one copy of each of your previous Chinese visas

# You can make photo copies in the Shuang Xiong company itself but they charge 0.5 RMB/per page

And, for now..they ONLY take cash for the payment.

That's it.

Edited by unmepbmn (see edit history)
  • 2 weeks later...