Baby with liver disease thrives after traveling from China

Randy W

A Facebook friend gets national attention, at least from the Associated Press. My only connection to her is that she had noticed I lived in Yulin and sent me a "friend" request. At least one of her four adopted daughters is from the Yulin orphanage

Baby with liver disease thrives after traveling from China

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/eagletribune.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/c/87/c8787dd6-b932-5255-97e6-77d5151d613a/55e11d386112a.image.jpg?resize=300%2C449

A few months ago, this family moment might have seemed unfathomable for Hope, an underdeveloped, emaciated baby living with end-stage liver failure in a Chinese orphanage. Her condition, biliary atresia, is a life-threatening illness in infants whose bile ducts in the liver don’t have normal openings, causing bile to become trapped and build up in the liver.

Considered to be dying, Hope’s condition also made her seemingly unadoptable.

But the Morrison family — all four girls are adopted from China — didn’t give up on baby Hope. They pushed to adopt her and bring her home to Andover under the notion she could enter palliative care surrounded by family.

More than three months later, however, Hope has proved a fighter. Receiving ongoing care at both Boston Children’s Hospital and Andover Pediatrics and taking a slew of medications, Hope has gained weight and strength, and is now awaiting a liver transplant.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

An article she posted today that may be of interest

This is an incredibly haunting read, and should be a must read for all who adopted from China in the height of the NSN adoption program. Kay Johnson is someone I trust and is not out to sensationalize the tragedies that occurred to people living in China. I am grateful that my children are still young enough so that I could read this first to prepare myself for the discussions which must take place.

7b65cb25aabb81640ddb575d3680925ddd55a885

The Truth About China’s Missing Daughters
A new book debunks the myth that Chinese parents favored sons.

NEWREPUBLIC.COM

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

I read her post a few times. I did not react like the rest of you. It feels like a train wreck to me.

Dragging 5 children, one of whom is a 3 year old transplant patient taking immunosupression drugs, to China for very obscure reasons.

And her post was gibberish and/or she might have a messiah complex. What a world!

I read her post a few times. I did not react like the rest of you. It feels like a train wreck to me.

Dragging 5 children, one of whom is a 3 year old transplant patient taking immunosupression drugs, to China for very obscure reasons.

And her post was gibberish and/or she might have a messiah complex. What a world!

She seems to AGREE with you, at least to a degree

For some of these questions, I cannot even give an answer. Well, maybe it's that I cannot give an answer that would satisfy the onlookers. Maybe it's that there is no logical answer as to how I CAN do this. Because it really is something beyond human which enables this type of work by a single mother of 5, along with all 5 kids and a bonus kid in tow. That is for certain. It is purely divine although even among some fellow believers it seems that this answer could continue to be resisted and/or questioned.