How do I postpone interview for I-485 "Adjust Status?"

My wife and I received a notice to appear for interview at our local USCIS office 9/21/2015. We'll be in China for our traditional wedding/banquet during that time so we need to postpone it. The instruction says to call the national customer service center; we called twice and received conflicting instruction:

First time: agent told us to mail copy of notice and a detailed explanation for the need to postponement. The agent did not specify where to mail the letter (national center? local uscis office?) so we called back the

Second time: The agent told us to follow the notice's instruction, which was to call the national customer service center. She then told us since there's no specific instruction, she will put in a request to the powers to be which will take 15 to 30 business days for a decision.

Does anyone know what's the right thing to do?

Thanks!

John

I would do an infopass appointment and speak to a rep face to face and have them reschedule and verify the reschedule.

A while ago I saw people who reschedule run into issues thinking they were rescheduled, and the interviewing officer showing a no-show on the original interview date.

Also be aware you need an Advance Parole doc (I-131) to travel while an I-485 is pending.

• 1 month later...

I wrote a letter to my local USCIS office where the interview were to take place explaining the need to postpone with copies of airfare receipts/itinerary. A couple of weeks later we received an acknowledgement letter for postponement request and a few weeks after that a new letter for new appointment time. It all worked out at the end :)

• Like 1