My Criminal Record - Problem? Does it Even Matter?

Hi,

I always thought that immigration only cares about the alien's criminal record and not the US Citizen's record. I was wrong. Something I didn't consider. Please help me based on your experience (anybody is welcome to give their view whatever it may be) as to my chances of being allowed to bring my fiancee to USA with a K-1 visa with the following criminal record:

5 counts of forgery (las vegas/1989) i was 17

5 counts of theft by deception (las vegas/1989) i was 17

5 counts of credit card fraud (las vegas/1989) i was 17

3 counts grand larceny (miami/1990) i was 18

1 count fraud (miami/1990) i was 18

1 count attempted extortion (miami/1990) i was 18

1 count credit-card fraud (class-a federal) (orlando/1991) i was 19

1 count false swearing in front of judge (orlando/1991) i was 19

1 count of possession of marijuana under 1 ounce (orlando/1991) i was 19

1 count of dwi (Atlantic City/1995)

1 count of attempted arson (as fugitive warrant out of Newark/1995)

1 count of destruction of private property (as fugitive warrant out of Newark/1995)

1 count possession of cocaine nyc/1996

1 count of possession of marijuana nyc/1997

1 count open container of alcohol nyc/1997

1 count of possession of knife 6 inches nyc/1997

1 count possession of nitrous oxide nyc/1998

1 count of possession of marijuana nyc/1998

1 count open container of alcohol nyc/1999

1 count of theft of service nyc/2000

1 count open container of alcohol nyc/2000

1 count of possession of marijuana nyc/2000

1 count possession of cocaine nyc/2001

1 count of possession of marijuana nyc/2001

I have not been arrested since August 2001. Retired on 9/11/01.

--------------------

Do i have a shot? I know the record is thick , 28 pages printed out the last time but i did retire 14 years ago just about.

Thanks in advance.

Yes, it can and probably will be a big factor, if there is even a hint of possible domestic abuse, USCIS can and does deny the petition before it.

One member here is living in China precisely because he could not get a petition approved due to a domestic abuse conviction.

See topics tagged IMBRA

• Like 1

Thank you Admin. I am not as brave as men who batter their women and then later pass out, secure that nothing gonna happen. The thought of waking up later that night in horrid pain to the sound of the food processor... jeez... So no, domestic violence was not my thing. Too many less stressful approaches to resolve domestic discourse.

It all depend on who processes you application. I know of one visa that was approved for a petitioner that was declared legally insane by the courts and was arrested twice for threatening a US president. If you get a Visa officer who works for the people and the Federal government it could be tough on the other had you wind with a 1st and 15th tax taking mooch there probably won't be any problems.

_spamSauce,

Congratulations to you for growing up and turning your life around! As others here have said, approval is a bit of a crap shoot even for folks who don't have your legal issues. That being said, I think that being honest about everything and presenting your story as you have here along with getting some character references to produce written testimony to the fact that you have seen the light and are now on the right path might help your cause. Also as you noted, your troubles occurred in your youth and you have now grown up as a man and haven't had any issues for 14 years so that is a good thing in your favor.

Good luck to you. I hope you find the right person!

True Blue

Hi,

I always thought that immigration only cares about the alien's criminal record and not the US Citizen's record. I was wrong. Something I didn't consider. Please help me based on your experience (anybody is welcome to give their view whatever it may be) as to my chances of being allowed to bring my fiancee to USA with a K-1 visa with the following criminal record:

5 counts of forgery (las vegas/1989) i was 17

5 counts of theft by deception (las vegas/1989) i was 17

5 counts of credit card fraud (las vegas/1989) i was 17

3 counts grand larceny (miami/1990) i was 18

1 count fraud (miami/1990) i was 18

1 count attempted extortion (miami/1990) i was 18

1 count credit-card fraud (class-a federal) (orlando/1991) i was 19

1 count false swearing in front of judge (orlando/1991) i was 19

1 count of possession of marijuana under 1 ounce (orlando/1991) i was 19

1 count of dwi (Atlantic City/1995)

1 count of attempted arson (as fugitive warrant out of Newark/1995)

1 count of destruction of private property (as fugitive warrant out of Newark/1995)

1 count possession of cocaine nyc/1996

1 count of possession of marijuana nyc/1997

1 count open container of alcohol nyc/1997

1 count of possession of knife 6 inches nyc/1997

1 count possession of nitrous oxide nyc/1998

1 count of possession of marijuana nyc/1998

1 count open container of alcohol nyc/1999

1 count of theft of service nyc/2000

1 count open container of alcohol nyc/2000

1 count of possession of marijuana nyc/2000

1 count possession of cocaine nyc/2001

1 count of possession of marijuana nyc/2001

I have not been arrested since August 2001. Retired on 9/11/01.

--------------------

Do i have a shot? I know the record is thick , 28 pages printed out the last time but i did retire 14 years ago just about.

Thanks in advance.

That sounds rough. I wish you good luck.

If you love the girl and can't get approved what would you do? Would you consider moving to China? To go there and marry you could live by her side at least. I don't think you could work legally on a spouse visa in China. But quite a few laowai make money under the table in China, that's nothing new for sure...

I am not sure how far along you are in the visa process, but one question comes to mind. Have you had any difficulty getting a visa to China for yourself? I ask that because one of the requirements for the K1 is that you have met in person and have enough contact to prove a legitimate relationship. Have you been to China yet?