SerpentZA and Other Vloggers

Randy W

Thus far, Li and I have not experienced any difficulty raising Salina, a bi-racial child. Things have gone smoothly on all fronts thus far, and for this, we are very thankful. The Huntsville/Madison area where we live, is a fairly cosmopolitan city as far as Alabama is concerned. This is largely due to the multi-racial nature of the population brought about by the Marshall Space Flight Center, Department of Defense contractors, and the high tech industry. For example, a couple of weekends back Salina had a sleep over with three other girls. In addition to Salina (Chinese/American). we had a black girl, a Mexican girl, and a multi-racial girl of Singapore.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, guys, but the PSB Entry/Exit Bureau handles ALL these issues (at least they have for me).

I personally thought that this was the most critical and opinionated post that they have ever made. In fact I unsubscribed from all of them. It proves to me that they think that they know everything about China and Chinese people and everyone else knows nothing.

I think what they MAY be saying is that in order to WORK, you need a 'work-related' residence permit, rather than a 'family-related' residence permit. An actual WORK permit is a separate document.

So, if I had accepted the teaching job at the University last year, I might have been required to purchase a NEW residence permit. I doubt they would have canceled the old one, though.

A residence permit is simply a visa with no limitation on length of stay.

To say that "You can't work in China if you're married" is complete nonsense.

What they also get wrong is that Q1 and Z visas are only good for ONE MONTH upon arrival.. During that thirty days, you must apply for the residence permit AND a separate WORK permit.

• Like 1

OK, Randy I am back. I had to go do something for the one that has to be obeyed.

Yes, I understood what they were talking about and what they were saying for an American right out of college working for a school, college or university has little or no chance what so ever of ever getting a green card. That is not the way to get a Chinese Green Card for sure but there are other way. Just to put out a blanket statement that is is impossible for a foreigner to get one is ludicrous. It sounds like they have a chip on their shoulder because they could not get one.

My wife worked in a major company in Beijing (I'm not going to start bragging about that. She is only a house wife now) and the guy that she worked directly for was from Salt Lake City and he damn sure had a green card. I feel like that this company that she and he worked for had a LOT to do with it. That is just my theory. Now, I always praise you and Dan for your knowledge on immigration, visas and all the forms to deal with as well as all the dates to be dealt with. You guys have helped a LOT of folks that desperately needed it and you are to be commended. My wife for some reason knows a great deal about the same things. She tells me what you guys are going to say even before you guys say it sometimes when you guys don't or can't answer right away. I do not give out any advice that she gives me for I am afraid of the mop slap. Me, I know nothing. How she learned all this information she will not divulge even after 18 years. If all Chinese folks are as good at keeping a secret as she is then you can trust them with just about anything.

So these two guys are just not as smart as they think and they just proved it by their own hand. If I had one of their email addresses I would tell them so too but I have a strong feeling that it would fall on deaf ears. It usually does with these type of folks. I will refrain from arguing with them on their vlog. It is, after all, their vlog.

Edited by amberjack1234 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

One of our members, GZBILL I believe his name was, had a green card from WAY back. I haven't heard from him in a while, though.

The work permit is kept by your employer - I never saw mine.

One thing THEY'VE never talked about that I know of is how they were able to run their motorcycle shop (under what sort of permit). I believe they had work permits from their regular employers, but that this would not include a moon-lighting job.

My understanding is that they do NOT need any permission from the Chinese government for their on-line work (YouTube, etc.).

• Like 1

I was going to tell about GZBILL but could only remember that his name was Bill. He and I were good friends here anyway. I remember that he said that he had one and I believed him. Of course I never saw it but I believed it. He showed a picture of himself once during the Olympics in the same bleachers of the then president of China. I went to Beijing about that time and the wife lived about a half a block from the Beijing Siemens headquarters but I thought that I might not be able to get in to see him and the wife was always on the go and did not want me to take the time to get in to see him. He gave me his phone number but I had no dream that the wife only lived a half a block from where he worked and I did not bring his number. I always regretted that. That was on the NE side of Beijing and her parents live on the SW side of Beijing about 45 minutes out of Beijing. I think that he worked for Siemens.

Edit to add: I always wondered about the motor cycle shop too. Now there is another American that use to be a formula one race car mechanic that has a motor cycle shop near the airport road and the third ring road close to where the wife lived too. I have found his shop on Google Earth with the wife's help. He had lived there for over 30 years at that time. He wanted me to come by to visit but the wife would not take me there and of course she was always in a hurry to do what she wanted to do. This guy said that he had a permanent residents card too. He made motorcycles from the ground up (frame and all) and some of the old large Chinese CC engine ones that was legal to re manufacture and re-register. I think that the 125 CC is all that are legal now. He usually put side cars on them. He mostly found them at old police headquarters. The wife looked at a lot of pictures of his wife and considered her to be to uppity than she was is another reason that she would not take me to see him. He also rented motor cycles out to foreigners that came to China to ride motor cycles around the country with him leading the tour where they wanted to go.

Hay, I found him again. http://www.beijing-sidecar.com/bikes.htm

Edited by amberjack1234 (see edit history)

This one is apparently legal - http://candleforlove.com/forums/topic/45352-from-yulin/?p=629574- licensed in Beijing. They have a dealership there.

I would assume that their (the boys') shop was legal, but just that I don't think I ever heard them talking about how.

C-milk told the story about his modified Lexus IS300 that he ended up losing because his "connections" didn't have the right kind of connections.

It turned out that I could have brought my own Lexus IS350 with me (since I got the teaching job before it would have arrived), but I'm probably better off to have bought a new car here.

• Like 1

This actually happened to us - not on our own car, but on a bus, returning from a tour of Hainan in 2013

My post on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/randy.walser/media_set?set=a.576981045667332.1073741827.100000663263693&type=3

We took a bus trip to Hainan this week. On the way back, the bus turns off the frreeway near a little one-intersection town where the road is chewed up for repairs. The speed is about 5 mph. Three boys on a motorcycle come up behind the bus and pull off the license plate, offering it for sale back to the driver for ¥200 (about $30). One of them saw me taking pictures and asked to see the camera, with his buddies joining in. I politely didn't laugh, and didn't move. Once in town, there's a police checkpoint, where, they made us stop and put the plate back on.

An excellent speech from Prozzie about teaching English in China.

I found at the University that there were generally only one or two students in each class who could converse in English, but they they ALL could read AND write fairly well.

He is right about the performance you need to put on. I didn't feel like I was up to it every day.

• Like 1