SerpentZA and Other Vloggers

Randy W

Good intro to SerpentZA and a nice synopsis of his life in China. I have always enjoyed his videos, especially the ones where he travels on his bikes. Looks like he has found a new girlfriend since his divorce from Beer Girl.

Good intro to SerpentZA and a nice synopsis of his life in China. I have always enjoyed his videos, especially the ones where he travels on his bikes. Looks like he has found a new girlfriend since his divorce from Beer Girl.

He announced on one of the videos (this one or another from this month) that they were engaged.

He announced on one of the videos (this one or another from this month) that they were engaged.

He mentioned she was a physician. I wonder if she was one of the docs he trained in his language/cultural classes. When I was at STU, I taught English to medical students from time to time, but most of my work was with graduate English majors and those in their graduate Journalism School. Most of my students were 22 or older as many of them had completed their undergraduate work. I suspect the same is true with his classes. He met Beer Girl at a pub in Hong Kong as I recall. She was advertising beer and passing out samples as I recall, hence her name, "Beer Girl."

He mentioned she was a physician. I wonder if she was one of the docs he trained in his language/cultural classes. When I was at STU, I taught English to medical students from time to time, but most of my work was with graduate English majors and those in their graduate Journalism School. Most of my students were 22 or older as many of them had completed their undergraduate work. I suspect the same is true with his classes. He met Beer Girl at a pub in Hong Kong as I recall. She was advertising beer and passing out samples as I recall, hence her name, "Beer Girl."

I enjoyed him also, I watch his videos to pick up some colloquial day to day Mandarin. Just the other day I picked up something new.

Edited by Bigguy_33 (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...

SerpentZA'a look at the high speed rail travel. He basically buys a ticket, travels to, and finally gets on the train (AFTER the 5 minute mark).

We don't have a high speed station here in Yulin, so a trip to Guangzhou or Shenzhen is overnight, instead of the three or four hours it would take from Nanning. To get on a high speed route, we would first have to travel to Nanning, and buy another ticket there.

I've been on the high speed train between Shanghai and Hangzhou. There's not that much of a sensation of speed, since the track is usually elevated from the scenery. Very comfortable, though.
Checking the high speed routes, I didn't find one that traveled overnight - seems like they all shut down by shortly after midnight (with maybe a couple of exceptions). Even going between Nanning and Beijing, you leave in the morning, and arrive late at night.

• 3 weeks later...

Nice scenery, especially on the narrow road under the trees. Winston always drives a bit too fast for my taste. And in traffic, he has a daredevil streak, often passing on the right at high speeds. One of these days. . . . :crutch:

Nice scenery, especially on the narrow road under the trees. Winston always drives a bit too fast for my taste. And in traffic, he has a daredevil streak, often passing on the right at high speeds. One of these days. . . . :crutch:

Yes - when I'm driving my car, I have a difficult enough time keeping my eyes on any possible upcoming "surprise". Watching for a hotshot coming up from behind is an added level of complexity - scooters are nearly ALWAYS traveling SLOWER than the cars.

• 3 weeks later...

So Winston's new lady is a fox for sure, but I still miss Beer Girl. I guess she is back in Hong Kong, getting on with her life now. He mentioned the city of Ruiyuan (sp?), which is in the northern reaches of Guangdong, up near the Hunan border. It is a small town at the base of a nice mountain range. I had several students from that area and had a chance to visit there on several occasions when living in Shantou. It is somewhat off the beaten path, but well worth the time, especially if you have a car or a bike and can explore the curvy mountain roads north of town.

• 2 weeks later...

I recall he had briefly mentioned his divorce and how Beer Girl did not adjust well to life on the Mainland. This clip had more detail. Glad he posted it. I wonder, however, how Beer Girl feels about the wedding videos still being up on YouTube. He never mentioned her feelings about all this.

Ol' Serp shore has a few things to learn about his wimmin's feelings. LOL He's young yet and is still letting his ego cloud his vision, after wife number 2 leaves him, he may wake up. At least he makes entertaining videos, you can't expect him to be good at everything. :rotfl:

• 3 weeks later...