K1 interview 7/7/15

Just a quick review of our K1 visa interview in Guangzhou on July 7, 2015.

It was pretty straightforward. She gave her documents as requested to the Chinese employee who did ask her if she knew I was divorced. Her interviewing officer was a female American.

She asked 1. What is your fianc's name? 2. Where was he born? 3. Where did you meet him? 4. When did he first come to China? 5. Where do you guys plan to live?

She also asked if she knew if I was divorced and did she read the abuse brochure. She asked about her job and said nice things about her English. She was friendly the whole time.

Then she finished with CCP questions and she/we did get the white paper (with CCP questions) with instructions to send the replies and any documents to an email address, for which you will get an auto-reply. And, she got out of Guangzhou just before the typhoon came up the coast.

So, we are in AP re the CCP issue which is fine as we basically need to make it to our wedding celebration in China in October or die. She can travel on her visa to here afterwards where we will get married. Given the average wait for the visa approval and the time to complete AOS we knew we could not be ready to travel out of the country (and back) to make our set in stone wedding party.

Weve had 3 updates in 10 days. I promise to post in this thread when we get a substantive update.

Oh, the officer did not look at the elaborate photo album or and other evidence she brought!

My general tips:

• Relax and carefully follow the instructions. Esp as explained here at CFL and over at Visa Journey.
  • Try your best to ignore the drama queens posting all over at VJ; check the dates of links that you follow.
  • When you try to schedule at GUZ, dont panic: everybody gets an interview - it can seem that there are no appointments - but you will get one
  • When filing the I-129f, DO include some evidence like pics, tix and a few chats. And, I mean unequivocal samples that show one or both of you in a time or place, proving you traveled to see the other. Easy to forget to get pics of the two of you together - surprised how few I had.
  • The reason for the above is that they can review this in advance and it will get forwarded all the way to GUZ. You won't be a huge question mark when you walk in.

Congrats on a successful interview, Greg. I'll hoist an OJ and Cranapple cocktail to a short stay in CCP review. Hope she's her in 3 months.

• 1 month later...

We got our K1 approval letter today (P5?). So, interviewed on 7/7, returned CCP materials 7/10 and approved on 8/26: 47 days to do a party background check.

We originally put our I-129F in at California service center February 6. We spent more time in NVC than in CCP check. Or, maybe the same.

As Doug wrote eloquently some time ago, despite the gnashing of teeth and rending of garments throughout the process, the feeling when you finally get the approval letter is very humbling and of profound gratitude. Bought my tickets last night and will send my visa app in the next day or two for my October wedding banquet in China.

Will post pics in the gallery after that. Celebrity wedding protocol dictates that I don't reveal any details for now! :)

• Like 1

Yep.

Thanks. The parents must have the banquet, all kinds of social obligations. (future) MIL picked the date, not me.

She bought a red dress for the China wedding and a white one to bring back here. She would be on the small end of the size range here and didn't want to take her chances.

Greg