50 Things From 50 States

Very familiar with those Alabama rockets, Tom. In fact, there is a decommissioned Saturn Five at a little park on Interstate 65, located very near my home. Tsap saw it several times on his visit to these parts, along with the Big Chicken and the Boobie Bungalow. And Tennessee, home of cotton candy and country music.

Very familiar with those Alabama rockets, Tom. In fact, there is a decommissioned Saturn Five at a little park on Interstate 65, located very near my home. Tsap saw it several times on his visit to these parts, along with the Big Chicken and the Boobie Bungalow. And Tennessee, home of cotton candy and country music.

Actually the I-65 south Welcome Center has a Saturn 1B sitting there, the actual Saturn 5 sits in Huntsville, next to I-565 at the US Space & Rocket Center.

Thanks for the clarification, Dan. They used to have a Saturn 5 at the Welcome Center years ago. I forgot they changed out the rockets at some point. The Alabama Space and Rocket Center is in my hometown (Huntsville) and back when it was just getting off the ground, in the early 70s or so, a couple of my buddies from college got jobs as night watchmen on the 3-11 pm shift. The Center was much smaller in those early days, but had the various rockets on display. We used to go in there at night and actually smoke joints sitting in the engine ports at the bottom. How things change. Now, the woman who is the head of the Space and Rocket Center is the ex-wife of one of those very friends. Salina goes on several field trips there each year and has attended the yearly space camp several times. If you or anyone is ever in the area, it is well worth the visit. It has really grown over the years. Oh, and thanks for the links to the photos, they are all within a couple miles of our home. Huntsville, and the Space and Rocket Center, is about 25 miles south of Ardmore, which is right on the state line.

Edited by Mick (see edit history)