10 year green card

USCIS can and often does interview for removal of conditions.

As long as airfare is booked in the passport names you should have no issues with boarding the plane, however there have been a couple reports where the exit control in China do not understand that the extension letter means entry to the USA is granted by the letter and sometimes refuse to allow travel out of China with an "expired" green-card, forcing a visit to a US Consulate for an I-551 stamp in passport, some schedule an infopass appointment to their field office before traveling and ask for an I-551 stamp in passport. As for the variance in name Married vs Maiden, this rarely causes problems.

My wife traveled to China Passport Maiden name, and Green-card Married name and had no issues.

Thanks. Airfare is booked not in passport name. Booked in married name. I could see where that could be a problem, expecially comming back.

Actually it causes a problem leaving the USA, the Airlines will have the problem when boarding pass does not match the name in passport.

I figured that out too late. I had to cancel, rebook and my wife made a big fight with her pressing the end key on my phone while I was trying to fix things. I understand why they do this and I wish she did. My mistake cost a lot of money. I guess I am not that smart on a lot of things. She does not stay mad long and the ticket is in the passport name. Airline said a couple of letters different would be ok but not as many as I had.

Hmmmm. They took the charges out of my bank and only charged me $7.00 to change the name one week after buying ticket. All flights the same except one an hour difference. Wife will be happy about that! I hope every one else has better luck with the communication issues because we speak different languages.

• Like 1

I hope every one else has better luck with the communication issues because we speak different languages.

Even as the years go by and the vocabulary expands, it can and will still happen at times. Here are a couple of examples:

Buddy calls me and tells me about his wife locking the keys in her car and calling him to bring the extra set. He asks where they are. She says in her purse. He asks where is the purse. She says the table. He says what table. She says in the garage. He looks and can't find, so asks again. She again says the table in the garage, but he still can't find. Calls back again and says there is no table in the garage. She says of course there is no table in the garage, I said the closet in the bedroom.

Wife cooks some pork a new way and it's great. I ask if we can have it again sometime, she says sure. Couple weeks later I ask if we can have the pork again, the same way she cooked it last time. She says sure. At dinner, it looks and smells different. I ask if she cooked it the same way, she says yes. Hmmmmm. I ask her what she did different. She says the way cut the meat and the spices she use. I said I thought you were going to cook it the same way as before. She answers I did cook it the same way as before. I say it looks and tastes different. She says don't you like it? I say I do, but it is not the same as before. She says yes it is, I cooked it the same way as before. Sooooo, I ask what did you do different? I cooked in oil on the stove, same way as before, just as you asked me to, but you did not ask for it to taste and look the same way too.

Moral of the story is that anytime you assume to know, not what is being said, but what is being meant, you stand the chance to misunderstand. Dealing with mispronounced words is no big deal. But when the words are clear as can be and it turns out that it was the wrong word that was used to begin with, then that is where the communication issue seems to happen. All because I assumed it meant one thing, but she assumed it meant another thing.

When we are speaking English, it is my job to make sure everything is correctly understood by both parties.

In the end it all works out though, and is good for a few laughs down the road.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't think they keep a file.

Hey, Dan it is frustrating, but they do keep a file. Yes, they keep asking for the same thing over and over and over again. What they are looking for is consistency in the answers. They find those who are scamming the system by the inconsistency in their answers.

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...

My wife's 2 year green card is going to expire in the beginning of Sept (now middle of June). She flips out when I told her a lawyer is going to cost $1000 to file for a 10 year green card (plus a fee I did not mention as she flips out when any money issue comes up and always asks. Must study receipt after every store visit and drills me on how much each item cost ect.) . I have the money but I try and listen to her. So far I found out I need to file a I 751 form. Do you guys have some places to go to for help? Or do you suggest not to listen to her and just get a lawyer? Sometimes I just wish life with her was easier. I think her Chinese friends tell her it is easy so she assumes it will be easy for me. I have found out a lot today, talked to a lawyer about prices-called a friend-and looked at lthe USCIS website. I am not sure where to post this or if this site is for questions like this.

Well 8 months later I got a letter saying they need more info for the green card. I hired a lawyer and I have been getting more paper work. They said I sent in tax returns but did not include w-2 forms. I sent in a ton of stuff and five affidavit letters, pictures and everything I could think of. They also said they want copies of loans and cars. I have one car in my name and no loans. She was in China while I was getting the visa for her before she came here. So I did not put her on any of the bills. Now she is on all of them. The lawyer told me to tell her not to go to China for the visit which she did. Will find out if the one year extension letter gets her back home at the end of the week. This time she did not flip out when I told her I was hiring a lawyer. He is charging me $700 now. A real ass who kept telling me I needed him and that is why she did not get the green card. One of her friends told me to buy her a car to show them. Don't have the money for that. I went down the list on the instructions and sent them everything. But they want a copy of my ID and I don't think that was on the instructions. Don't know what else they want. Going back to the lawyer next week. I paid him to put the house in her name. Maybe I need to invite them over so they can see her tell me what to do from the time she wakes up until she goes to sleep, that ought to prove we are married!

Copy of your and your spouse's State ID. If your spouse drives, then that would be copy of driver's license, the state ID shows address which should match.

I-751 needs evidence of living together for the two years of conditional residency.

• Copy of state IDs showing shared address ( My Driver's license, my wife's learners permit )
  • Copies of bills showing shared address ( Credit Card statements and photos of creditcards showing names )
  • Letters addressed to same address ( Christmas Cards etc... )
  • Joint banking account statements showing shared address ( We included this )
  • Photos of you together at various times during the 2 years ( We included vacation photos from various places we visited )
  • Joint tax returns (1040+W2+1099) OR ( We sent IRS Transcripts )
  • We had no joint loans, or joint leases at the time.

My wife's 2 year green card is going to expire in the beginning of Sept (now middle of June). She flips out when I told her a lawyer is going to cost $1000 to file for a 10 year green card (plus a fee I did not mention as she flips out when any money issue comes up and always asks. Must study receipt after every store visit and drills me on how much each item cost ect.) . I have the money but I try and listen to her. So far I found out I need to file a I 751 form. Do you guys have some places to go to for help? Or do you suggest not to listen to her and just get a lawyer? Sometimes I just wish life with her was easier. I think her Chinese friends tell her it is easy so she assumes it will be easy for me. I have found out a lot today, talked to a lawyer about prices-called a friend-and looked at lthe USCIS website. I am not sure where to post this or if this site is for questions like this.

Well 8 months later I got a letter saying they need more info for the green card. I hired a lawyer and I have been getting more paper work. They said I sent in tax returns but did not include w-2 forms. I sent in a ton of stuff and five affidavit letters, pictures and everything I could think of. They also said they want copies of loans and cars. I have one car in my name and no loans. She was in China while I was getting the visa for her before she came here. So I did not put her on any of the bills. Now she is on all of them. The lawyer told me to tell her not to go to China for the visit which she did. Will find out if the one year extension letter gets her back home at the end of the week. This time she did not flip out when I told her I was hiring a lawyer. He is charging me $700 now. A real ass who kept telling me I needed him and that is why she did not get the green card. One of her friends told me to buy her a car to show them. Don't have the money for that. I went down the list on the instructions and sent them everything. But they want a copy of my ID and I don't think that was on the instructions. Don't know what else they want. Going back to the lawyer next week. I paid him to put the house in her name. Maybe I need to invite them over so they can see her tell me what to do from the time she wakes up until she goes to sleep, that ought to prove we are married!

I can't answer your question but wanted to say, your last sentence was one of the funniest things I've read in a damn long time. Never has so much been conveyed, with so few words. Simply priceless, man!!! :victory:

• 2 weeks later...

Copy of your and your spouse's State ID. If your spouse drives, then that would be copy of driver's license, the state ID shows address which should match.

I-751 needs evidence of living together for the two years of conditional residency.

• Copy of state IDs showing shared address ( My Driver's license, my wife's learners permit )
  • Copies of bills showing shared address ( Credit Card statements and photos of creditcards showing names )
  • Letters addressed to same address ( Christmas Cards etc... )
  • Joint banking account statements showing shared address ( We included this )
  • Photos of you together at various times during the 2 years ( We included vacation photos from various places we visited )
  • Joint tax returns (1040+W2+1099) OR ( We sent IRS Transcripts )
  • We had no joint loans, or joint leases at the time.

Thanks. I have that now. I guess I am the only one who thinks tax return does not include W-2. I have it now (with w-2) with all the bills in both our names and the house in both our names. Just waiting on lawyer to send everything in. I have until next month to have it back to them. I had sent them photos before and 5 letters of support (added two more). I expect the next step will they will want to see both of us 6 hours away.