Good Lord knows, I do love me some tasty Lassie, or even Rin Tin Tin, burgers on a hot summer afternoon. Mmmmm

Larry, I heard that if you can get the afterbirth within 2 hours of the birth, that it is safe to eat it raw like sushi. Yummy, don't you know that must be a pleasure to chew up and swallow. The French must be so jealous.

Edited by tsap seui (see edit history)

Good Lord knows, I do love me some tasty Lassie, or even Rin Tin Tin, burgers on a hot summer afternoon. Mmmmm

Larry, I heard that if you can get the afterbirth within 2 hours of the birth, that it is safe to eat it raw like sushi. Yummy, don't you know that must be a pleasure to chew up and swallow. The French must be so jealous.

Yep, I was jest cravin' some. The wife has a saying that southern Chinese will eat everything except for the table legs. :rotfl: I tease her about it often.

• 3 weeks later...

They had to work in a LOT of drama, including going to the WRONG city) to film just a single meal with an official-looking dude in a paisley uniform (I also posted this in SerpentZA's thread - http://candleforlove.com/forums/topic/48071-serpentza-my-china-life/?p=632992)

OOPS - it appears to be deleted - I'm working now on re-posting it myself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsI417oijfA&feature=youtu.be

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/18/2017 at 6:30 PM, Randy W said:

Yulin makes the National Geographic!

If enforced, it will be the ONE day of the year when dog meat is NOT available

Dog Meat Sales Reportedly Banned at Infamous Festival

Animal advocates express hope that the ban is a “nail in the coffin” for China’s trade in dog and cat meat.

In a May 17 press release, Humane Society International and the advocacy group Duo Duo Animal Welfare Project reported that the city is poised “to prohibit restaurants, street vendors and market traders from selling dog meat at the event.”

The ban, reportedly spearheaded by Mo Gong Ming, Yulin’s newly appointed Party Secretary, will come into force on June 15, one week before the festival’s scheduled June 21 opening. It will be enforced by risk of arrest and fines up to 100,000 yuan ($14,500).

. . .

In a phone interview, Humane Society International spokesperson Wendy Higgins says that the two organizations independently received news of the ban from Chinese activists and traders at Yulin’s dog meat markets. The groups don’t yet know if the ban will also cover cats, which are also slaughtered at the festival.

Li and Higgins deem it unlikely that traders will try circumventing the ban by giving away free dog meat. “Restaurants have been told to remove the dishes, and as Yulin has always been about commerce rather than culture, I think it's unlikely that traders and restaurant owners would go to the trouble of putting themselves out of pocket,” Higgins says in an email.

The groups haven’t yet seen any written documentation from Yulin’s government confirming the ban. But in a phone interview, Li says that a lack of a paper trail wouldn’t come as a surprise.

What it'll END, if successful, is the SALE of captured dogs to those activists who offer to BUY the dogs on hand in order to SAVE them from slaughter, and STOP dog meat tourists from coming here .

Dog meat has NEVER been part of a viable supply chain - very few restaurants have EVER served it, except for impromptu shacks and sidewalk vendors. The first festivals from 2010 were simply held in the streets.

Apparently, the people of Yulin can't even go 7 days without their dog meat - in the Shanghaiist. We'll be headed for the Knight Steak House tonight.

Yulin Dog Meat Festival to take place as usual this year despite rumors that it would be banned

According to Animals Asia, the Yulin Publicity Department told the Beijing News that they had not heard about any dog meat ban, explaining that the annual festival wasn't organized by the government and therefore city authorities had no right to call it off. Officials also said that they had no clue where rumors of a ban had originated.

Meanwhile, sources in Yulin also told Animals Asia that the city's Dongkou market was still openly selling dog meat as usual.

. . .

Meanwhile, locals say that they are tired of activists rolling in each summer, causing problems and affecting their way of life.

"Eating dog meat is a long-standing tradition in Yulin, and to us, eating dog is just like eating fish and chicken. Have you seen chicken lovers trying to stop people from eating chicken?" one local resident said.

. . . and in the Nat Geo.

We ran into a guy on the elevator tonight who was headed out for some dog meat.

Dog Meat Still on Sale at Controversial Festival

Animal-welfare advocacy groups had celebrated rumors of a ban—but new videos suggest that sales have continued.
According to Li, the situation fell apart on June 13, just two days before the ban’s scheduled start, after several dog-meat traders met with five Yulin government departments.

“In this meeting, the vendors threatened the government and protested the ban, arguing: ‘If we stop dog meat sales for seven days, are you feeding us and our families?’” Li says. “The vendors demanded compensation for loss of business.”

In response, Li says that Yulin’s government made a major concession to the traders. Instead of stopping the sales of dog meat completely, the government merely suggested that vendors not display dog meat at their stands for seven days. In follow-up remarks on June 19, Li said that vendors are now allowed to sell but can’t display more than two dead dogs each.

“This is a sad development of the Yulin authorities bowing to the interest of the dog meat traders,” he adds. “This change of mind sent a very bad signal to the vendors.”

in the Global Times . . .

By Zhao Yusha in Yulin Source:Global Times Published: 2017/6/20 23:18:39

Many restaurants have now covered the Chinese character "dog" on their signboards or simply changed the name in order not to offend dog rights activists who can resort to violent means to stop the centuries-old local tradition.

Dog meat can still be found in Yulin markets but dogs are being slaughtered outside the city in preparation for the city's annual dog meat festival, a sharp contrast to previous years when dogs were killed in public spaces and the meat was cooked and eaten with the spirit of celebration.
. . .
To many in China, eating dog meat is a nonissue and is not just limited to Yulin.

"Eating dog meat is a long-standing tradition in Yulin, and to us, eating dog is just like eating fish and chicken. Have you seen chicken lovers trying to stop people from eating chicken?"said a local resident surnamed Liang.

Such views are confronted, sometimes violently by animal rights activists from all over the country, who have also descended on the city trying to stop the event. They usually purchase dogs from vendors in order to save their lives, but some resort to force to stop dog meat eateries running their business.

• 11 months later...

gallery_1846_744_1286515.jpg

Preparations are underway here in Yulin for the "dog meat festival". These tables will be full in a few hours, along with a few similar restaurants around the city.
Yes, that's it! The last actual Festival was held in 2010, with visible "celebrations" as recently as 2015.
There'll be a BIG increase in traffic tonight as people come home to be with their families for the summer solstice. Yes, they do eat dog meat. Not only for the "festival" but also 365 days a year.
They did try last year to BAN the sale of dog meat for seven days around the "festival" - 3 days before and 3 days after - but the people, by golly, WANTED their dog meat!
My wife and I are going out for steaks!

(links to CFL post)

Looks like the activist FOUND the "dog meat festival" - lol - Jiaying says the restaurant name is a family name. She does not recognize it.

on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/MartynStewart.Recordist/videos/10156608307554729/
13 hours ago ·

Restaurants were packed with people here in #Yulin, i feel this will never end in my lifetime, it would take a massive shift to stop this.
When you witness this it gives you very little hope for the future,
# I'll do a full report tomorrow, my ribs are killing me x

He had this to say last night. He actually figured out that it's a ONE day thing, and not TEN, like most of them believe - although my wife tells me that some people will celebrate tonight (Saturday), since the solstice was on a workday (Thursday). He's here for five days.

It pains me to see the cruelty of animals, i've devoted most of my life to shout for those with no voice regardless of the species.
I go to far away places like #Yulin, China to shine a light on the suffering but it could be on my own doorstep too.
While the support i have had is immeasurable, some of the comments sadden me immensely.
The lady in my last post with the wok full of dog meat is no whore or a slag or evil, she is doing what Macdonalds, Burger king or many other western food chains do every single day of the year.
If we are to make any progress in this movement we cannot condemn a country or a culture because it doesn't fit with your beliefs.
If i had posted a Texan lady cooking spare ribs at a rodeo would she be deemed a whore too?
If we are to plant seeds, we need them to germinate, if we are to throw stones then be open to those who challenge your own cognitive dissonance. — in Yulin, Guangxi.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Martyn Stewart is opposed to ANY meat eating, but is a reasonable vegan and was here for the Summer Solstice in 2018. Marc Ching is a professional "dogmeat activist" who was last here in 2017. The Animal Hope & Wellness Foundation is Marc Ching's organization, which collects thousands (millions?) in donations from celebrity donors.

Facebook link - https://www.facebook.com/MartynStewart.Recordist/posts/10157175698144729

The video Martyn links to on YouTube was filmed by Marc Ching - the video is NOT for the squeamish

Just to give you all an update on the The Animal Hope & Wellness Foundation” saga.
The government is now investigating their tax returns from past years and as we disclosed last year, there are many irregularities.
There is a suspicion a 250k loan went into paying Marc Ching’s legal fees to fight the Daily Mail from publishing even more proof that Ching was paying butchers in Asia to torture dogs so Ching could film the brutality.
One film I put together late last year is trending on Youtube with comments daily.
Marc Ching is a fraud and hopefully soon he will be exposed for his deceit and lies.
To Date, Marc Ching has made no statements to explain he disgraceful behavior.

https://www.facebook.com/MartynStewart.Recordist/posts/10157175698144729

5/2020 - more recently - https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10158212913684729&id=515009728

Marc Ching successfully had the youtube video of his torture of jessie on youtube taken down.
750,000 people had seen it. now i have a one week ban.
The video showed how Ching had paid butchers to torture a dog named Jessie.. Jessie was beaten and set fire to while Marc Ching videoed it pretending he was undercover.....
Justice for Jessie will happen soon......
this is a corrupted fucked up world.....

• 3 months later...

The feast earlier tonight. This restaurant is across the street from us.

The actual restaurant is the last slot there at the far end of the building (you can BARELY see it), but they expand with tables all the way up the block for the summer solstice.

gallery_1846_832_567970.jpg

Me? I won't look over anyone's shoulder to tell them what they should or should not be eating.