I-485 RFE China Birth Certificate/White Book

My wife and I are petitioning for her parents from China to adjust status. They came here on a visitor’s visa and we decided to file I-130 and I-485 simultaneously prior to overstaying the visa. Regarding the I-485, application for adjustment of status, we recently received a RFE:
You have submitted a family census register, family relation register or a notarial certificate. However, the evidence you submitted does not contain the applicant's name. You must submit a family census register, family relation register or a notarial certificate that contains the applicant's name.
Title 8 Code of Federal Regulations, Section 103.2(b)(2)(ii) states:
Where a record does not exist, the applicant or petitioner must submit an original written statement on government letterhead establishing this from the relevant government or other authority. The statement must indicate the reason the record does not exist and indicate whether similar records for the time and place are available. It must contain the following:
A legible seal
A legible stamp
A signature with a title containing the words: secretary, registrar or births and deaths
Prior to submitting the application, we knew there would be a possible issue. My parents in law have no birth certificate, as at that time the Chinese government did not issue them.
Long story short, to obtain this document, my parents in law must travel to China to obtain it in person. The catch 22 is that if they travel outside of the country now, the I-485 petition will be considered abandon. Any advice?
I plan to call the USCIS customer service line tomorrow to ask some specific questions, however my experience has been this is useless.
We made every attempt to obtain the required certificate from the China office before sending the petition. We wrote, signed and notarized several different letters as requested by the China notarial office. Each time we submitted a document to the china notarial office, they requested a more outlandish document instead, saying the letter they requested previously was insufficient. Finally, we submitted with the I-485 all of the letters we had made attempting to obtain the certificate from the china office, along with an explanation of why we could not obtain it, and their Chinese Family Registration Book (and of course a translation of it).
Again, catch 22. We can't get the document without appearing in China in person to get it, and we can't leave the US until the request for advance parole is approved or forfeiting the I-485 petition.
The last requested document from the china notarial office was a request for notarized letters from the Chinese embassy here in the US, stating that her parents are in the US and request the notarial certificate. The nearest embassy is in Chicago, 500+ miles away. As a family of 6 with a 19 month old and a 3 month old, that is a difficult request. Based on the 3 previous attempts to provide letters, they would then request a more outlandish document to provide the requested certificate. None the less, we will attempt to contact the embassy to see if they could even provide such a document.
Frustrated and turning in circles with both governments.

My wife and I are working on bringing her mother over on an immigrant visa, we had a couple issues getting her certificates from the notary office, but they did generate a "birth cert" based on her household book and national ID.

Did you file an I-131 for Advance Parole? This would allow them to travel out of the country while the AOS is being processed. You can file for the AP at any time by filing the I-131 with copy of I-485 receipt letter attached to it, there is no fee, however will have to wait for the AP document before traveling.

Yes, we filed for AP at the same time, but as of right now we don't have it. Of course, there is no obligation or gaurantee it will be provided, much less in a timely fashion.

To me, it seems unreasonable to require them to go back to china to get these documents. That costs thousands of dollars, but so far we haven't been able to pull the right strings in China to get the document.

My wife and I are working on bringing her mother over on an immigrant visa, we had a couple issues getting her certificates from the notary office, but they did generate a "birth cert" based on her household book and national ID.

Did you file an I-131 for Advance Parole? This would allow them to travel out of the country while the AOS is being processed. You can file for the AP at any time by filing the I-131 with copy of I-485 receipt letter attached to it, there is no fee, however will have to wait for the AP document before traveling.