Travel back to China while 10 year ROC still processing

Hi all. I know this is a common topic but I had trouble finding info on it. We applied for my wife's 10 year ROC (and step son) in November of last year. She is planning to go to China to visit this summer and I don't think she will have her new 10 year green card in time for her trip. I thought I read somewhere on this site that you could go to the local USCIS office and request a stamp or something? Could someone tell me about that and how we get an appointment?

I forgot to mention her 2 year perm res. card is almost expired and she did receive the 1 year extension letter

Don

Yes, many do an infopass appointment to their field office and request an I-551 stamp in passport to serve as additional evidence of green-card status, sometimes the exit officer in China does not understand the extension letter.

Only issue with traveling while I-751 is pending is if USCIS schedules an interview for some time during the trip.

Thank you Dan. Can we book an infopass appointment online? Also, What are our options if they do happen to schedule an interview while she is out of the US? Ask them to reschedule?

thanks

Don

Infopass appointments are made here: https://infopass.uscis.gov/(Site seems to be down at the moment)

You can try to reschedule, however is best to try to avoid doing so, I have seen on rare occasion they say rescheduled, and someone at the field office fails to get the reschedule notice and enters a no show when the couple fails to show at the original scheduled time.

• 1 month later...

So...my wife went to her InfoPass appointment this morning to request an I-551 stamp in her passport and they told her since she has the extension letter she doesn't need a stamp to re-enter the US and they sent her away. Anything else we can do?

Should be fine with extension letter, for the majority who have posted about travel there has not been any issue when leaving China, and never an issue upon entry to the USA.

I think there has only been one or two posts about an issue with the Chinese airline people or exit control questioning the letter.

Thanks Dan. That makes sense. We are "hoping" she gets her green card before she leaves but not holding our breath. We applied for ROC in mid November so we'll see.

thanks again

I would check with the airline to make sure they understand. I remember it was quite a hassle for th member who's wife was stranded in China. The airline didn't recognise the letter and wouldn't let her board to return home.

We are using Air China but I'm hoping we have her new card before she leaves in June. Everything I'm reading shows about 6 months from applying to receiving the new card.....if all goes well. I will have her call Air China to confirm they understand that the letter is all she needs. Never ends does it? LOL

• 3 weeks later...