Great Movie: A Good Rain Knows (2009) Eng Sub

Here’s a great movie you need to watch – “A Good Rain Knows” AKA “Good Rain Know Season”

Now that I’m in my fourth year of studying Mandarin, I’ve been watching a lot of Chinese movies to practice my listening abilities and to pick up some new words. I’ve ran across this movie by accident recently, since it’s listed as a Korean movie. But it’s completely filmed in Chengdu China, and is full of Chinese culture. It’s almost like a travel guide for Chengdu China.

It’s a love story with the most adorable and beautiful Chinese actress playing the lead role. Her accent and cadence, when speaking English, is so heart warming. The lead characters speak in simple English that adds to the charm of the movie. There are English subtitles for everything. Some critics wrote it’s a slow movie, but that only adds to the building of emotion of love between the two characters. I didn’t want the movie to end. On a snowy, cold and windy winter day, it was a perfect way to spend a few hours.

If your eyes are not welling up with tears at minute 42:00, you must have a cold heart. Then around minute 51:00 if you don’t think she is the most beautiful Chinese woman you have ever seen, you must be watching a different movie. Finally, at minute 1:12:00, I screamed aloud “WHAT”!

Mostly importantly the movie can teach members here a few things. When you are watching “May”, notice how many times she doesn’t want to say the truth but instead changes the subject or says something else. I’m not saying that it’s right or wrong or that she’s lying, but it’s something which westerners should be aware of. I have seen this many times. Finally, I think many men could learn a few things from the character “Dongha”. He always approached “May” with a quiet tenderness. Then when he received the most heartbreaking news, he didn’t scream or shout but instead he quietly said he was going inside. He didn’t cause “May” anymore pain. I know it’s only a movie, but still that is a good way to conduct yourself.

Well, I think you will enjoy the movie. It’s 1:41:00 minutes long and it’s on You Tube. I noticed You Tube deletes movies for copy write reasons, so you better hurry. Here’s the link. I was able to download the movie with Realplayer, but you need to have the most updated version. Watch it,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88KpO2TpiQ4

Thank you, Bigguy! You're sharing the movie "春夜喜雨“,a poem by an ancient poet Dufu. I'll watch it this evening. What other movies have you watched? Could you please recommend us more? Have another movie day!

Catherine

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you, Bigguy! You're sharing the movie "春夜喜雨“,a poem by an ancient poet Dufu. I'll watch it this evening. What other movies have you watched? Could you please recommend us more? Have another movie day!

Catherine

Ms. Catherine,

Thank you for the nice reply. I hope you enjoyed “ 好雨時節 ”. I’ve learned a few wonderful Mandarin expressions from the movie. As you can guess the first one I learned is “这是好雨知时节”. I can’t wait until someday, I’m able to use that expression. But I am still working on my cadence or tempo when I say it. My tempo sounds unnatural compared to a native speaker. Additionally, I read DuFu’s poem “Welcome Rain on a Spring Night” from which that line in the movie is taken. I also enjoyed the traditional Chinese song 凤凰 姑娘 (Phoenix Girls), which is in the movie.

You wanted another movie recommendation:

"Ocean Heaven"

http://www.hulu.com/search?q=Ocean+Heaven

Please watch if you haven’t already

I’ve just watched it on Hulu.com. It’s also on YouTube, but Hulu’s version is of better quality, but you have to watch a 1 minute commercial every 20 minutes. ( I forgot at about the 15 minute mark the Hulu video starts acting a little fun. Don't worry just pause the video after 1 minute then un-pause it.

I know we don’t know each other, but trust me, you will remember this movie forever. It’s a Chinese movie and is beautifully done. The scenery is great, the actors are wonderful and the theme of the movie is something we should all try to follow.

Here’s the storyline…” The story of a father's tireless love for his autistic son. A terminally ill father's attempt to teach his autistic son the necessary life skills to survive on his own before he passes away. It is also a poignant tribute to the infinite love that parents have for their children and their unending desire to take care and look after them to their best abilities, no matter the struggle, no matter the effort”

Catherine, I must warn you first, you should have a very big box of tissue 薄纸 ready because you will be crying during the whole movie. If you do watch “Ocean Heaven” let me know what you think of it….

Edited by Bigguy_33 (see edit history)
  • 3 weeks later...

Another Chinese movie recommendation:

I just watched this Chinese movie on YouTube. [Eng sub] 《回到爱开始的地方》 / A Moment Of Love

It's about a girl who is engaged to be married, but she doesn't really know if she's in love with her boyfriend.

Then while on a trip for work, she finds out about this old man and woman who stayed in love their whole lives, but were forced to be apart. Even apart, they stayed in love.

It was a simple, but enjoyable movie, with lots of local culture and experiences.