How do you spend your New Year's Eve?

Catherineli

Hot is on the left, cold is on the right/ hot is on the right, cold is on the right????????? Is there any special meaning or just a funny saying?

I'm really grateful for you guys helping me English so I like to share more here. Thanks again!

Catherine

Hot is on the left, cold is on the right/ hot is on the right, cold is on the right????????? Is there any special meaning or just a funny saying?

I'm really grateful for you guys helping me English so I like to share more here. Thanks again!

Catherine

It's a convention NEARLY everywhere that the cold water faucet is on the right, and the hot water is on the left. I didn't notice while they were running our water lines through our home that they had done that BACKWARDS.

Catherine

It's a convention NEARLY everywhere that the cold water faucet is on the right, and the hot water is on the left. I didn't notice while they were running our water lines through our home that they had done that BACKWARDS.

The Hot and Cold are in the opposite spots when laying on your back under the sink. :)

Catherine

The Hot and Cold are in the opposite spots when laying on your back under the sink. :)

But they laid the water lines that way, too - while they were STANDING UP looking at where the sink would ultimately go.

They did it ON PURPOSE. All FIVE - kitchen and two bathrooms(both w/sink and shower).

• Like 1

LOL....while I quoted the American rule of plumbing code, who is to say what is right or left...er...ah...right or wrong? I jes go by the country I'm in...their country, their rules and codes. :rotfl: While there are many Americans who insist the world started and will stop in America :rotfl: I'm not one of them.

When our home was being finished in CHina I asked Wenyan to "ask" the plumber to install traps on every fixture, and to install the hot on the left side...if he didn't mind. He did as was asked, and he said that he always put the hot on the left, as well, he told her he always put traps on his plumbing work. They both got a big laugh when she related our marriage in the "Caca Hotel" in Shenyang. A very nice 7 or more floor hotel with no traps on a single fixture. We still laugh about that hilarious nasal sensory exciting experience. I was scared to death someone would light a match or spark a flame and blow us all to Beijing or someplace.

Plumbing these days has been made more than easy for Do it Yourselvers. Generally you have 1/2 inch feed lines to your fixtures, and they have 1/2 inch compression or sweat on stops at their ends. The stop will generally have a 3/8 inch compression nut on their top. Again, generally, your fixture will have a 1/2 inch threaded tube coming down from its base. To change the hot and cold you simply need to get flexible supply lines with a 3/8's inch side and a 1/2 inch side. Get them to the proper length to reach the fixture and walla...you can change the position of your hot and cold. The only tools you really need are an adjustable wrench or a pair of channel locks for the nuts on the stops, and a basin spanner for the nuts on the bottom of the fixtures supply tubes. A basin spanner is a rod or extendable rod that has a curved claw with teeth on the insides of the curved claw. This curved claw flips over so you can tighten or loosen the nuts on the fixture's supply tubes as often there is a very limited space behind a kitchen sink or lavatory bowl and an adjustable wrench is gonna play hell on fitting in behind the bowls. A basin spanner makes it real easy.

One bit of Chinese plumbing I really like is the 5 a half foot long porcelain sink top they put into our master bath. It is about 5 inches tall and has a very large scalloped bowl... the whole thing is the hugest work with porcelain I have ever seen. I'll bet it weighs upwards of 200 pounds, and sits on top of a cabinet that is fine furniture grade. Amazing to me. I love how Wenyan finished and furnished our home. Such high grade furniture, cabinets, etc, etc. She really made us a very comfortable home over yonder.

I have no clue about a standard Chinese plumbin' code, Randy :happy2: ...my guess is your plumber hooked up his supply tubes to your fixtures in the way he was shown when he started. It's all an experience. I'm sure you are used to it by now, but for the sink fixtures, they could easily be reversed with flexible supply tubes.

tsap seui

Blue collar man in some dern white collar computer world...LOL...may my dumb "stupid phone" never be able to text, view the internet, wipe my ass, or be able for me to watch TV on. :guitar: Verizon hates me.

. . .

I have no clue about a standard Chinese plumbin' code, Randy :happy2: ...my guess is your plumber hooked up his supply tubes to your fixtures in the way he was shown when he started. It's all an experience. I'm sure you are used to it by now, but for the sink fixtures, they could easily be reversed with flexible supply tubes.

. . .

Yeah - ain't gonna happen. They are fine where they are. The only thing confusing is in the guest shower - you turn the hot and cold knobs INWARD to turn them on, and OUTWARD to turn them off. The diverter knobs (Bottom to top to spray valve) work in a similar way.Somebody's going to get soaked just trying to turn their shower on or off, unless they practice in advance.

I figured I'd find a few other faucets (hotels or wherever) that were set up the same way, but so far I haven't.

wow, you all sound very professional but I don't understand a word of your plumbing English. I'm going to a plumber school now. Have a good day everyone! See you later!

One thing I never tried to figure out. I bought some "blue chemical balls" to put into my toilet water box behind the bowl, so that when I push the water button to flush the toilet bowl, the water soaked with the blue balls is blue-colored as a kind of "soap" to kill germs. Don't know if you understand what I'm saying. I like to see the blue water flowing out to flush the sewer. BUT why do I see my water from the kitchen sink also blue? I'm living in an old traditional apartment on a campus. I've stopped putting my sterile blue balls into the bathroom water box. But "Shit flows downhill" may explain the hard-knocked lesson. This is the one of the reasons I must run to my new homeland.

The 3 things all plumbers must know

1. Shit flows downhill

2. Hot is on the left, cold is on the right

3. Payday is on Friday

You forgot a shot of Jim Beam and a beer chaser.

Right you are, Thomas. Back circa 1971 many of the older "plummer" guys took their checks on Fridays straight to the bank then to the likker store next door. One old guy would smack his lips (no teef in his head) and say see ya boys, I'm off to the banknlikkerstore....I could say that as if it were one word. :rotfl: Us younger guys would usually get together in one car and light up a community joint or a bowl of hash...on our way to the bank. By the time we drove the 5 miles to the bank, nobody could remember what we had gone there for. :victory:

• Like 1

One thing I never tried to figure out. I bought some "blue chemical balls" to put into my toilet water box behind the bowl, so that when I push the water button to flush the toilet bowl, the water soaked with the blue balls is blue-colored as a kind of "soap" to kill germs. Don't know if you understand what I'm saying. I like to see the blue water flowing out to flush the sewer. BUT why do I see my water from the kitchen sink also blue? I'm living in an old traditional apartment on a campus. I've stopped putting my sterile blue balls into the bathroom water box. But "Shit flows downhill" may explain the hard-knocked lesson. This is the one of the reasons I must run to my new homeland.

I understand what you're saying Catherine. Many folks use those blue balls , etc in their toilets. A word of caution, from a former plumber who had to also repair plumbing in other's homes. The type of blue chemicals you put into a toilet tank can eat away at the rubber seat between the water tank and the bowl, as well as degrade the rubber flapper that shuts off the water when you flush, causing you to lose water slowly in the tank. The only problem you'd have from the type you used that you put inside of the bowl is if you have a septic tank in your home in America, instead of public water and sewer. A septic tank words off of biological action with the organic material in the tank....chemicals kill biological micro-organisms which in time could ruin your septic tank (killing the helpful germs in effect), and clog up your drain fields. If you have what we call "city, or public water and sewer" you don't have to worry about it....flush that blue water all you want...yes ma'am you can flush your worries away.

I gotta say, you threw me a curveball when you said you also saw blue water in your kitchen sink....Lord God Billy Bob, I'd hate to think, and can't begin to understand how water from your toilet bowl got into your kitchen sink. I know a lot of folks are "organic" thinkers with their food and such....that is takin' organic to an extreme. :rotfl:

Ronny

True, it's a headache. Blue is the color that I can see. Now without the blue balls, I see the water regular but only with my naked eyes. I don't want to imagine more lol. You guys are scooping me up from the "clear water" by helping me with the advanced English. Have a laughing day!!

I talked with my wife, she never had to scoop up the poo, and neither did her older sister, but maybe they are too young? Also they are from way down South, near Viet Nam. She never heard of this thing. I think it is a pretty good idea though. Farmers need it, and it is good to keep the city clean, and work those kids, haha.

We only lined up green horse apples to watch the school buss stop with busting all the apples and sliding on a layer of pooish green pucky. So horse apple to horse poo... we didn't clean it up. The wind and rain had to do that.