How do you spend your New Year's Eve?

Catherineli

Happy New Year everyone!!

The annual New Years' Eve is coming in. There is something funny flashing in my mind. Ten years ago my first American lady friend came to my life. She was in Changchun China. On the last day of 2002 or something, she came to visit us but after supper she seemed not want to leave. Then in the late evening our family wanted to go to bed to hit the sack, she still stayed at our home. I was puzzled as to how to talk to her go back. but I just kept the reservation until twelve o'clock at midnight. By this time she started to call other Chinese friends "Happy New Year". This was the chance for me to talk to her, "Everyone is sleeping. You'd better not call anyone at this midnight". She didn't listen to me and she still called several people who answered her the same way, "Why? What's wrong? We're sleeping." hahahahaa, This is the typical culture difference. She thought I was inviting her to spend the New Year's Eve until after midnight. But I was only inviting her for a dinner. I don't know how other Chinese family spend their New Year's Eve nowadays. In my local area, both in the past or in the modern days, we spend the new year's eve as a regular common day. We sleep after supper on the normal schedule.

Americans maybe stay awake for a whole night? How do you guys spend your New Year's Eve? I'm curious. Happy New Year everyone!! See you next year!!

Catherine

• Like 1

New years here in Ohio can get a bit crazy with all the red necks and hill billy's drinking too much beer and moon shine. ( Home made wine)

We shoot ALOT!! of guns and drink ALOT of beer out in the woods.

We get family and friends together, build a large bon fire, eat, drink and get crazy.

We all jump on our 4wheelers run in the mud and shoot guns.

OH? I did i say we drink ALOT of beer? Yes we do!

New years day? We just recoop from the night before and watch foot ball (And drink more beer)

Our first rule of thumb for New Years Eve is "do not go out - stay home." There are far too many drunks on the road for travel to be safe. We usually spend a quiet evening at home, watching television or a movie (or in my case, football). We often stay up to watch the ball fall in Times Square, signaling the New Year. At least Li and Salina do. I am usually asleep by then.

Whenever I think of New Years Eve, I always remember the first New Years Eve Li and I spent together. We had a late meal at the revolving restaurant on the 28th floor of the Holiday Inn in Hefei (capital of Anhui Province). We rang in 1998 with a long kiss in front of the elevators. Ah, the romance. . . . .it is incredible to think we have been together such a long time.

Here in Guangzhou, preparations seem to be well under for a BIG crowd TOMORROW - New Years Day. New Year's Eve seems like any other night out. In fact, we're next door to the consulate right now having a cup of coffee on the way back to the hotel from Flower City Square.

A BIG difference in the festivities, but I guess New Year's Day in China is about the same time as New Year's Eve in the U.S.

Usually at home watching enjoying drinks and watching the TV and tune in to see the Ball drop in Times Square in NYC

The US believe it or not is one of the least party countries in the world on New Yewr Eve. Surveys indicate most Americans pack it in by 1 AM while Russia parties hardy until 4 AM.

The belly up to the bar boys, Its 5 o'clock somewhere guys, Chase the hair on the dog howlers and The beer and a bump crowd refer to New Years Eve as amatuer night.

I raised enough hell in my younger days to more then carry over now in my winter years.

I hope everyone will have a safe New Year's Eve and a prosperous 2015.

• Like 1

Wow!! I finally know why so many American men are successfully importing Chinese women to America. American men or women know how to enjoy life much more than Chinese people. Those Chinese women who are carried to America are the most lucky ones in the world. You drink, belly-dance enjoying a whole night. You sing crazy, laugh crazy and play crazy while Chinese people are closing their eyes sleeping. But those who are like Dennis sleeping in America on the New Year's eve are made very special and precious as well in this modern world. Every day is a gift! Enjoy, everyone!!

Like Tom said, I raised a lot of hell in my younger days. Now I just stay home and watch TV. My neighbors like to set off a lot of fireworks which used to keep me awake. Now I'm old and deaf. When I take out my hearing aids I don't hear a thing. If I didn't have to work tomorrow I'd probably stay up until midnight then wish my wife a happy new year and give her a kiss.

"I raised a lot of hell in my younger days" means you all had a fantastic time in your youth. You have had enough fun in the past. I learned many new sayings today. "amateur nights" is another new funny term I'm learning to say.

Carl, I've not seen you for quite a while either on facebook or on CFL. I bet you must be busy playing your guitar for your Chinese apple. Happy new year to you!!

Catherine

Raising hell and having fun are a little different. Sure I had a great time but I also drank a lot, got in fights and got in a little trouble with the law. Ive spent a few nights in a jail cell. I was the proverbial bad boy you wouldn't want your daughter to date.

I've been here just not posting much.

Raising hell, Raising Caine, crop failure= not get up from bed, Thank you for letting your cats out of your bag for me! Carl, Tom, I bet your great time raising hell of Caine's great grandchildren is NOW giving you a marvelous rejuvenation as a reward to you!! I admire your time when you could lose your inhibitions. I was just watching the paint dry while memorizing Chairman's words lol

What a different life we had!!