Some Pictures of the New Consulate

Randy W

珠江 = Zhujiang = Pearl River

Doug's pictures and write-up are here - Preliminarily Approved, CCP Overcome, CITIC, CGI Stanley, UID number

The cab drivers were ALL over reminding my wife to buckle her seat belt while riding in the front - there is a ¥200 fine in effect.

Even so, the subway will take you just about anywhere you want to go - more on that in another topic.

We took a dry run on Sunday afternoon before my appointment on Monday for a passport renewal - to make sure we could get there, and to also take a walk around the Flower City Square (WELL worth the trip in itself).

This is the view of the consulate from the B1 exit of the Zhujiang New Town subway station - either Line 3 or Line 5 will get you there.

gallery_1846_719_191175.jpg

A view to the west down Huali Ave., on the North side of the compound. There are several restaurants and coffee shops - and the Yang's hotel - within a couple of blocks this way. A couple of the restaurants have already closed, but others are apparently doing well.

The kiosk on the right will keep your "valuables" for you if you forget to leave your cell phone, camera, etc., back at the hotel.

The smallish building in front is for security checks only - the larger building behind it is the "Great Hall", where all the processing takes place.

These are the only two buildings really visible from the street - the others are behind a fairly massive wall.

gallery_1846_719_405214.jpg

• Like 1

There are two different sections of the security building - the right side is for visas. The left side is for American Citizen Services and USCIS.

gallery_1846_719_546165.jpg

This is the gate that people enter through - it was open on Sunday for the Consulate workers to attend a Christmas party. The little gate here allows you to line up to be processed by security, where you actually enter the Consulate compound. The compound is surrounded by a much larger fence, grated in the area of the Great Hall, solid iron around the rest of the compound.

The door on the left here (behind the green umbrella) is for the USCIS entrance. After you leave the security building, you proceed around to the right, and enter the Great Hall at the North entrance (closest to the subway exit) for either visa or American Citizen Services.

gallery_1846_719_348958.jpg

This is the Starbucks across from the Elementary School and Consulate on Huali Road - a REAL Starbucks (the one at the old consulate was actually a Chammee Coffee), although there are several other coffee shops nearby.

gallery_1846_719_460348.jpg

This is Gail's on the South side of Huali Rd., about a block away - okay to good quality, but expensive.

gallery_1846_719_630990.jpg

They had a Christmas party going for employees of the Consulate (this was on Sunday afternoon). I took this picture through a grated fence - they apparently aren't concerned at all about picture taking from outside the compound. I was always admonished to aim my camera AWAY from the old Consulate when I took pictures. They did notice me here, but no one said a thing.

gallery_1846_719_471490.jpg

This was the scene Monday morning around 9 o'clock when we came for my appointment

gallery_1846_719_469172.jpg

This is the Chois Coffee, across Huali Rd. from the Starbucks, and caddy-corner to the Elementary School and Consulate. This was my favorite for a good snack-type menu at reasonable prices.

gallery_1846_719_323169.jpg

People entering the Security building for Visa processing

gallery_1846_719_35654.jpg

Overall, I would rate the consulate as imposing but inviting, spacious, yet leaving you feeling cramped and restricted (and people-herded). The worker at the USCIS security entrance got a little carried away with roping off her area (she actually blocked the entrance all by herself). It left me unsure of where to go, since she was the only worker there, and was busy processing Chinese customers. Otherwise, the herding techniques used were impeccable.

The American Citizen Services area seems like it was tossed in as an after-thought, like you're maybe on Floor number 2 and a half, in a smallish area overlooking the rest of the Great Hall. It seems like there is some opportunity for inter-mingling, but you might have trouble getting your spouses attention if you need to.

All counters inside the Great Hall are on the right (the west) side of the building. There are separate areas for finger-printing and interviews.

Everyone I came in contact with was Chinese, until my application was approved, and the notice and my old passport given back to me - he was the only American I had contact with the whole time.

• Like 1

The ACS at the Embassy in Beijing was the same 2.5th floor afterthougth... very modern and impressive-looking, but at least Shanghai has some toys for kids to play with.

Yes - they had a small play area inside the ACS office. I was there for almost an hour, and was tempted to join in the fun. There were less than a dozen visitors there the whole time.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...