First time getting China Visa after Citizenship

What I was told yesterday at the Houston consulate is that the 10 year visas are for stays of 180 days or LESS. A LONGER stay (I had initially filled out the application stating 365 days) will get you a single-entry visa with a 30 or 60 day stay to give you time to register for a residence permit at the PSB

So, what you are saying is that the Q1 visa (> 180 days) is not a 10 year visa? It makes sense but I was getting the impression here that people were trying to get Q1 10-year visas to allow for > 180 day stays. Did anyone get a Q1 10-year?

What I was told yesterday at the Houston consulate is that the 10 year visas are for stays of 180 days or LESS. A LONGER stay (I had initially filled out the application stating 365 days) will get you a single-entry visa with a 30 or 60 day stay to give you time to register for a residence permit at the PSB

So, what you are saying is that the Q1 visa (> 180 days) is not a 10 year visa? It makes sense but I was getting the impression here that people were trying to get Q1 10-year visas to allow for > 180 day stays. Did anyone get a Q1 10-year?

Yes - it is valid for 1 entry within 90 days, during which time you go to the PSB and apply for a residence permit. Mine is a 3 year residence permit - with the visas from the PSB, you never have to make a border hop. They are good for indefinite stays.

gallery_1846_676_7851.jpg

. . . and the residence permit

gallery_1846_676_547904.jpg

• 6 months later...

I went to get new visas for me and my wife (now in her new US passport) at Houston and encountered some undocumented requirements:

- They need TWO photocopies EACH of the former Chinese citizen's Chinese and US passports (info page).

- They need TWO photocopies of the invite letter and inviter's Chinese ID.

- They need TWO photocopies of any name change court order (if applicable).

Note that the photocopy machine in the lobby only takes quarters, so be sure to bring extras as most people coming to the window were sent to the photocopy machine for one reason or another.

The guard at the door checks that the application is typed and is v.2013 (the latest). If not, you will be turned away at the door.

Many people did not photocopy the passport info page and there is a sign in the line to remind people of that.

It was quite annoying in that for each issue discovered above I was turned away and had to come back to the window (after the next person completed) rather than being told about all the needs so I could make one trip. The agent looked at the passports right away and turned me away right away apparently knowing this is a surprise to everyone.

Once everything was triple checked, the agent said "I will now cancel her passport" and right in front of me cut a big corner off the first paper page and stamped it cancelled on the first 5 or so pages. GULP! They confirmed I will get it back at pickup.

My flight itinerary was reviewed carefully and I was quizzed on why we needed 180 days when our stay was 31. I explained our future stays may be longer and this stay may get extended based on health of the family. That was accepted and the receipt says M/180 on it.

Another note: If you are coming for pickup and come before opening to get in line (highly recommended! the line was 20 people deep at 8:45am) you can line up on the left side of the door as pickups are let in first.

Also, those coming for tourism visas were asked to provide hotel reservations in addition to air reservations.

• Like 1

Yeah, it's amazing how their mood can vary - usually just sarcasm and meanness, but sometimes downright helpful!

There is a copy shop where you can get some computer time w/Internet access to actually fill in and print out the forms. It's just around the corner on Westheimer, and came in VERY handy when I was there back in January - the people at the Consulate actually referred me there.

gallery_3366_4_88229.jpg

Edited by dnoblett
Added area map (see edit history)
  • 2 weeks later...

In the end success... both of us Q2 10yr multiple entry 180days. Cancelled Chinese passport returned. $280 poorer :)

I parked at the Walgreens a block behind the consulate, despite the tow-threat signs in that parking lot as well, I felt it was pretty safe as the lot was wide open.

In case you don't want to do that next time that it's usually fairly easy to find parking within a block of the consulate, either on the street or in the parking lot across Montrose from the Consulate (although you may need to play a little game of "dodge balls" in crossing Montrose). It's too easy for an "enterprising" tow truck operator to watch where you go after you get out of your car.