Applying for a Chinese Green Card

Randy W

Anyone applied recently?

I've been living in China for 15 years. For the next 15 (???) I sort of plan to be back and forth between China and the US of A, since now my husband has (well, almost has ... we'll do his POE stuff in Newark on Thursday!!!!) his American greencard, with husband and the kids situated in the States. I think it would be mighty convenient if we had both green cards for each country, assuming we make sure not to screw up the residency requirements for both. Is it 9 months in country per year for the Chinese one? That's what I've heard, which is pretty strict if so.

I've been on marriage related residence permits for the past 10+ years, since we got married back in 2006. Main stumbling block is lack of property here in China -- I don't want to buy into this crazy housing market but if I have to, I may buy a small little place just to tick off that box.

I know one foreign wife of a Chinese guy who got approved recently. Their case didn't seem extraordinary. In fact, pretty sure they're both of the missionary persuasion, which I woulda thought China might have frowned upon, but nope.

So any updates? Curious if anyone here has any new experience.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

The 10 year Q2 visa with 180 day stays may work better for you. A green card must be processed by Beijing, and comes with the residency restrictions (I was thinking 6 months). Check with your PSB.

My wife is happy with the 3 year (locally issued) residence permit, so so am I.

• 8 months later...

Jiaying asked again about getting a green card for me - requirements can vary, depending on which path you take (family, investment, employment, or money in bank) but for us it would involve showing the title to our property, ¥100,000 in the bank (I'm unclear as to how long), and US criminal records check for both of us (since she spent some time in the US).

We may follow through on this at some point during the next three years.

link to http://docs.google.com/document/d/1dpSczWo4I5zMXMEeaTPAu9peTgw6Mo8XxIEYSWtgUgk/

On 6/18/2017 at 4:18 PM, thelocaldialect said:

Anyone applied recently?

I've been living in China for 15 years. For the next 15 (???) I sort of plan to be back and forth between China and the US of A, since now my husband has (well, almost has ... we'll do his POE stuff in Newark on Thursday!!!!) his American greencard, with husband and the kids situated in the States. I think it would be mighty convenient if we had both green cards for each country, assuming we make sure not to screw up the residency requirements for both. Is it 9 months in country per year for the Chinese one? That's what I've heard, which is pretty strict if so.

I've been on marriage related residence permits for the past 10+ years, since we got married back in 2006. Main stumbling block is lack of property here in China -- I don't want to buy into this crazy housing market but if I have to, I may buy a small little place just to tick off that box.

I know one foreign wife of a Chinese guy who got approved recently. Their case didn't seem extraordinary. In fact, pretty sure they're both of the missionary persuasion, which I woulda thought China might have frowned upon, but nope.

So any updates? Curious if anyone here has any new experience.

The requirement SEEMS to be NINE months of every year for 5 years PRIOR TO applying for the green card - and THREE months of every year afterward.

• 3 months later...

in the Shanghaiist

1,881 foreigners have received Chinese permanent residence permits in the last two months!

That's as many as all of last year

green-card.jpg

Previously, only hundreds would receive the honor each year.

However, over the past couple of years, China has been doing much to revamp its work permit process, looking toattract the right kind of “high-quality” laowaiand keep those individuals working in the country. A newtalent-based systemhas been rolled out which groups foreigners into A, B, and C tiers with “A-level” expats including the likes of Nobel Prize winners, senior research fellows, highly-published scientists, managers of financial institutions, and famous actors and athletes.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...