Mark Zuckerberg's China connection

Joecy

Mark Zuckerberg married a Chinese woman, said he had to learn Chinese so he could speak to his mother-in-law and wife's grandma!

We are writing an article about " Being a Chinese teacher in the US" for our 2nd issue, looks like there will be growing need for Chinese teachers in the US?!

7 Famous People Who Surprised Us by Speaking Chinese

When Mark Zuckerberg gave a Q&A in Mandarin Chinese, the Facebook founder left his audience of Beijing college students—and the rest of the world—stunned and impressed.

http://time.com/3534248/mark-zuckerberg-facebook-chinese/

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/About/General/2012/5/29/1338306240071/Mark-Zuckerberg-and-Prisc-008.jpg

ps. Sorry for being absent for a while. I have been traveling, 2 times to Detroit, 2 times to Chicago, my head just went exploded!! enough bad excuses... I want you guys to know I'm thinking about you!

Edited by Joecy (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Joecy, welcome back to CFL. I missed you! I didn't get a chance to see your "ice buckle" viedo until yesterday. You're sooooo coooooool !!

Now you're bringing me more good news with this thread of the Chinese language being in need. This thread tells me that I won't have to be a street beggar in the States. I'm proud of being Chinese now!!

I hope to see Mark Zuckerberg and his Chinese bride at CFL! This bride is so tall that if she stands straight, high enough, she maybe taller than her husband.

Edited by Catherineli (see edit history)

We are writing an article about " Being a Chinese teacher in the US" for our 2nd issue, looks like there will be growing need for Chinese teachers in the US?!

I've been saying this for years. China is the fastest growing economy in the world and will likely surpass the US. A smart business person in the US would be wise to learn Chinese.

• Like 3

Really warms my heart to see this. I really don't know any better way to endear yourself than to learn to speak the local language where you might want to do business, as Carl mentioned. Of course, it was probably having a Chinese wife who pushed him to become the best he can be. ;) :D

Edited by Dennis143 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Hope to see a boost of Chinese learning in the US, make it a popular 2nd language in school, in stead of learning Spanish, everyone should have a chance to learn Chinese!!

And Yes, Catherine, you and I won't become street begged then.

• 3 months later...

He tries again - on his Facebook page!

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10101937350406051&fref=nf

Happy Lunar New Year! 春节快乐!

This is a moment of renewal and celebration each year. I hope you have a wonderful time surrounded by friends and family, and I hope that the Year of the Sheep brings you health and happiness.

As posted before I only know of one private school that is now teaching Chinese rather than Spanish to the kids, grade school on up. They also began bringing kids over from China to teach and live here. I don't know if it is offered in any public schools. Guess I should ask around.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting observation Doug.

I also met a high school student from China to attend a private Christian school, his tuition fee is about $ 50,000/ yr!

• 3 years later...

Mark's CHinese isn't that good.

And to be honest, I really think that few people will study CHinese in schools in the USA because Spanish has a long hold in the USA.

If i were stateside, and I were to choose a second language, I would choose spanish over others because of the practical need for it.

Well, you will be in the minority of the minorities soon enough. The Chinese are the fastest growing minority in the US and will dilute the Spanish majority of minorities (aside from African Americans) in the US. By 2065 the US will be a minority nation according to many metrics. Arriving Asians are outnumbering Hispanics. And Asians are more educated, making the need to learn their language even more important.

Learning Chinese, among many Asian languages, may be more difficult, since English contains many Romantic language roots. But Chinese may well be worthwhile to learn. Learning Spanish will be added plus, rather than an either/or.

Some scholars in China recognize that Chinese is really a primitive language, described by one as one step above Cuneiform. (https://wikivividly.com/wiki/Cuneiform). They want to modernize the language, and if you read that link, there were many past attempts to do so. It does not make Chinese any easier to learn now for English speaking people.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2015/10/05/future-immigration-will-change-the-face-of-america-by-2065/

The projected rise of Asians as the nation’s largest immigrant group has its own implications, among them potentially increased education levels. Among immigrants who arrived within the past five years, Asians already outnumber Hispanics, in part because of a sharp recent drop in immigration from Mexico. This slowed Hispanic immigration also will have a longer-term impact: In 2065, Asians will outnumber Hispanics among all immigrants – 38% to 31%. (Today those shares are 26% and 47%.)

The increased share of Asian immigrants among all immigrants means that education levels of the foreign-born population could rise sharply, because Asian immigrants tend to be better educated. Among recent immigrants from Asia, for example, 57% have completed college, compared with 13% for recent Mexican immigrants and 28% for immigrants from other Central or South American nations.

The rise of the Asian share of the immigrant population also could have implications for the political debate about immigration over the next 50 years. Americans today have mixed views about the impact of immigrants on society, but tend to have more favorable views of Asian (and European) immigrants than other groups, according to a recent Pew Research survey. The survey also found that most Americans (56%) would prefer giving priority to immigrants who are highly educated (or highly skilled), compared with 37% who favor giving priority to those with family in the U.S.

• 5 years later...

Back to Zucky . . .

Read more: https://sc.mp/3mlk 
The article called out Zuckerberg for playing a role in lobbying Washington to curb TikTok, the hit social media app owned by Beijing-based ByteDance.

#meta #zuckerberg #china #tech #technology #scmpnews #scmp

from the SCMP on Facebook 
https://www.facebook.com/scmp/posts/pfbid02rn3GkraKbUz9bc6wREsomkR2tDPqctHbFhQcQjBxBM4DiMDT4Jfdjg3MFKSDXYFAl

Beijing state media blasts Mark Zuckerberg for past criticisms of China, casting doubt over Meta’s plan to sell VR gear in the country

• The article called out Zuckerberg for playing a role in lobbying Washington to curb TikTok, the hit social media app owned by Beijing-based ByteDance
  • The commentary comes as Meta is reportedly in talks with Tencent to bring its Quest virtual reality headset to Chinese consumers

The article called out Zuckerberg for playing a role in lobbying Washington to curb TikTok, the hit social media app owned by Beijing-based ByteDance, as well as Zuckerberg’s speech at Georgetown University in October 2019 when the Facebook founder criticised TikTok for censorship. The article also referred to his response during a July 2020 congressional hearing, when Zuckerberg said there was evidence to show Chinese theft of US technologies.

In a commonly-used metaphor for challenging Beijing’s narrative while trying to profit from the China market, the article said Zuckerberg has “smashed the China wok” and should not be expected to enjoy a Chinese meal.

When it came to dealing with China, the article contrasted Zuckerberg’s actions with those of Tesla chief Elon Musk and Apple CEO Tim Cook, who have both maintained good relations with Beijing.

. . .

Zuckerberg may want to sell Meta’s VR headsets in China, just as Cook sells iPhones and Musk sells Tesla electric cars, but his plan is blocked because what he has said and done in the past has displeased China, the article said.

• Randy W changed the title to Mark Zuckerberg's China connection