Me and my fiance's experience in leaving the CCP

Hey people of the internet~

I’m writing this summery up to kill some time since me and my fiancé have been in “administrative processing” for 5 months now and it’s a lazy Friday afternoon here at work.

I’ve been doing some internet researching and with some personal experience that I and the fiancé have went through, I’ll try to sum up this whole thing about the “K1-CCP-mess”.

This summary is based on my personal experience and it may be TOTALLY different from yours.

When I and my fiancé filed for the K1-visa back in June of 2013, we didn’t even have a clue about the whole CCP party thing until the actual interview when she was asked that question. So that was a big shock for us. But anyway, here are some things we learned afterwards.

· Do you HAVE TO leave the CCP party in order to get your visa?

· Short answer NO-you don’t have to leave

· The blue slip you get NEVER said you have to quit the CCP; I emailed the embassy in GZ and called twice. I answer I got was the same. “Just answer the questions” they never verbally said “yes” or “no”, but always said “follow the instructions and answer the questions”.

· I read somewhere and heard a lot of people say that if I didn’t pay my dues for a while (2-3 years) that means I’m no longer a CCP member.

· Yes, there is such a rule, BUT reality is totally different

· What my fiancé found out is that, if you didn’t pay your dues for a while, your membership status set to “frozen”

· “Frozen” means YOU ARE STILL A MEMBER! You just don’t get any CCP member benefits (I’m not really sure what “benefits” mean, but I’m pretty sure you can’t apply for a CCP only job if your status is frozen)

· So why not just kicked you out if you haven’t paid for the last couple years?

· Simple answer is that everyone is a jerk. It’s actually pretty hard to become a CCP member. So when someone lost their job and can’t pay and gets kicked out, they create a mess and its annoying for everyone involve, so there status just gets put as “frozen” and when they pay again its back to normal.

· PLUS, the government collects millions in membership dues, why would they kick people out

· CCP status – “the travelling circus”

· This part took a while for my fiancé to explain to me, but your CCP membership status “travels” with you

· For example, if you join the CCP in college, your CCP membership is with the college. When you graduate and find a job (that also is a CCP member, government job, or any ½ owned government venture company) your CCP status is with your new company/job. If you don’t have a job or lost it, you status with the CCP is then sent to your home address’ district.

· So if my CCP status travels with me, how/who do I contact to check my status

· The simple answer is to follow the money

· You have to pay membership dues, so find out who is collecting it and you’ll get your answer.

· If you are in college, its someone in the administration office, if you are unemployed its someone in your district, in my fiancé’s case since she was employed, it was her HR manager.

The following is my fiancé’s experience with LEAVING the CCP (as I noted above you don’t have to leave the CCP for K1 visa)

So my fiancé approached her HR manager and asked her about the whole CCP thing and how to leave. She basically explains to her that the American government is a “troll” and she’s having a hard time getting her visa approved because she’s a CCP member. The HR manager worked for the company for 15 years and no one has ever asked to leave before, and that she doesn’t even know what the correct company policy was. So the HR lady did some research and called her regional HR director.

What did we find out..? Basically in the company’s 25 year of operation, NO ONE has asked for such a thing. It is a shipping/port transportation company that is own ½ by the government. Everyone that works there is a CCP member, except for temps or part timers, but those are the company’s lowest position jobs. Basically asking to leave the party is about the same as quitting the job. But, the regional director did some digging, and found out that is wasn’t that hard to leave.

All my fiancé has to do is to provide an explanation in an email to her HR manager. The HR manager forwards that email to the HR director and the director forwards that email to the company’s “upper management”. You need at least a 75% “Yes” vote and that was it. In her case, about 47 management/director level people read the email, and she got a 95% approval vote, some people didn’t reply because they just didn’t want to or on vacation, but there wasn’t a “NO” vote. If you’re thinking, wow that’s kind of archaic, that’s what I thought too.

As noted above, your CCP status “travels” with you. Where you end up at, determines how and what method is used to terminate your CCP status. Your college might use a different method, your company may use another, and same goes for your district supervisor. It could be really easy or really hard. There isn’t a main CCP office or building you go to, to put in an application to leave the party.

We did run into an issue though. Even if you do get the paperwork that states you are no longer a CCP member, there is a 99.9999999999999999999999% chance that, that piece of paper work will NOT be notarized. My fiancé went to 5 companies trying to get her paper notarized and they all turned her away. Leaving the CCP is still a big taboo in China, and no one will stick their necks out to notarize such a piece of paper. I assume this is the reason why the embassy never said or instructed you to leave the CCP in the first place. But she was able to find a law firm to do the paperwork translation for her. So, we sent in all the paperwork, with the explanation letter and paperwork in.

My fiancé expected that she’ll be fired or layoff after this whole ordeal, but she is still there working for the company. She was even promoted 4 months later. BUT, I’m pretty sure everyone’s case will be different. Leaving the CCP in a company that is CCP members only is the same as asking to be fired. My fiancé does the worked that 3 other people does, so there is a reason why her company kept her.

Anyway, that is how my K1 application was like. We’re still in “AP” for the last 5 months, so hopefully we hear something soon. I read that the average is like 6-8 months. But if you’re thinking if it is faster if your fiancé left the CCP, I’m pretty sure it will not since it isn’t any faster for me.

Hope this summary help some of you folks out since I’m in the same boat as all of you here reading this section of the site.

• Like 1

Wow!!! Nice detailed report, buddy. I'm sure it will help many to understand CCP issues much more clearly. Thanks for taking the time to post this.

Good luck to you and your wife, I hope your wait is soon over with.

tsap seui

Keep in mind that recent activity with the CCP, like what you are describing, MAY work against your own case (visa application), and require MORE investigation on the part of the Consulate.

TRYING to quit the Party may not be a good idea, even if you succeed.

I remember Mama Bear had to wait an extra 3 or 4 months for her visa because of CCP membership. She didn't quit the party because she needed her job for the duration of the visa wait and in case she might have been denied.