About this forum

Joecy

Congrats, Mrs. Gravestey!! How many weeks are you? When is your due date? My due date is in January, 2015.

I am very excited, but anxious being a first time parent. I came to the US in early, 2010, and I have enjoyed all kind of food, American, Mexican, Indian, Greek.....and now I only want authentic Chinese food. I realized how deep my Chinese root is... ;) I have been homesick a lot ever since I am pregnant.

A big culture shock I noticed over this weekend, my in-laws came by our house to visit, my mother-in-law and I started talking about the baby, she mentioned that when she had her baby ( my hubby), she didn't get any help, she said her mother visited her and the baby the day they got home from the hospital, and then left in an hour... I explained to her that in China, most of mother-in-law and mother would stay for a few weeks to help out with the newborn and new mom, the new mom will be confined to bed for the whole month...after hearing what I said, she was very shocked...not to mention when I told her that we can't shower or wash hair for at least two weeks. :nonono:

Congratulations Ruby! So you will have a little "sheep" :)

Your conversation with your mother-in-law sounds fun! I really like to see her look when hearing "can't shower or wash hair for at least two weeks". Have you started to crave about any Chinese food yet, any desert, snack, noodle, Xiao Long Bao, stinky toufu, thousand year old egg?

Do you plan to have your mother come to help?

Or just in general, HAPPY WIFE, HAPPY LIFE!!!.... ;-).

Great to be back here in Candle for Love. I have been busy since i arrived here in Michigan. Almost finished with school, and now we are expecting a baby girl ;-)...

Congratulations, Mrs. Gravestey! There is another one of us on the way to be a new mom, I'll let her announce the news herself ;)

Such a good timing to finish your school! What are you studying?

Congrats, Mrs. Gravestey!! How many weeks are you? When is your due date? My due date is in January, 2015.

I am very excited, but anxious being a first time parent. I came to the US in early, 2010, and I have enjoyed all kind of food, American, Mexican, Indian, Greek.....and now I only want authentic Chinese food. I realized how deep my Chinese root is... ;) I have been homesick a lot ever since I am pregnant.

A big culture shock I noticed over this weekend, my in-laws came by our house to visit, my mother-in-law and I started talking about the baby, she mentioned that when she had her baby ( my hubby), she didn't get any help, she said her mother visited her and the baby the day they got home from the hospital, and then left in an hour... I explained to her that in China, most of mother-in-law and mother would stay for a few weeks to help out with the newborn and new mom, the new mom will be confined to bed for the whole month...after hearing what I said, she was very shocked...not to mention when I told her that we can't shower or wash hair for at least two weeks. :nonono:

A big congratulations to you and your husband Ruby. :mbounce: I can just immagine the cravings for the Chinese food. :mellow:

Larry

• Like 1

Congratulations Ruby! So you will have a little "sheep" :)

Your conversation with your mother-in-law sounds fun! I really like to see her look when hearing "can't shower or wash hair for at least two weeks". Have you started to crave about any Chinese food yet, any desert, snack, noodle, Xiao Long Bao, stinky toufu, thousand year old egg?

Do you plan to have your mother come to help?

My mom plans on coming to the states a month prior to my due date. I can't wait....I missed my hometown snacks, especially hot pot....I have been craving for spicy food, but my doctor said not to eat spicy food because it will give me heartburn.... Fortunately pregnancy is only nine months, the baby will be here before I know it... :) Edited by RubyA (see edit history)

Or just in general, HAPPY WIFE, HAPPY LIFE!!!.... ;-).

Great to be back here in Candle for Love. I have been busy since i arrived here in Michigan. Almost finished with school, and now we are expecting a baby girl ;-)...

Congratulations, Mrs. Gravestey! There is another one of us on the way to be a new mom, I'll let her announce the news herself ;)

Such a good timing to finish your school! What are you studying?

A big congratulations to you and your husband Ruby. :mbounce: I can just immagine the cravings for the Chinese food. :mellow:

Larry

Thanks, Larry. I miss hot pot the most....but I think I will be okay...it's only nine months ;)

Ruby, will you be able to find the snack you like in the Chinese grocery store?

Yes, for most part, I can find the things I crave...but it just doesn't taste same as homemade...I guess I am just homesick. I can't wait for my mom to be here. Everything will be better.

• Like 1

Ruby, will you be able to find the snack you like in the Chinese grocery store?

Yes, for most part, I can find the things I crave...but it just doesn't taste same as homemade...I guess I am just homesick. I can't wait for my mom to be here. Everything will be better.

Yeah, mom's are like that aren't they?

Larry

Congrats to you and your husband, Ruby. Being a parent is a great responsibility but a huge blessing. My wife Li was unable to spend the traditional month in bed and we had no help with the baby when Salina was born ten years ago. All of Li's family is in China and we had only been back in the States for a little over a year when she was born. I have no family except for my father, who is 93 and lives in Florida. To this day, any time Li gets an ache or a pain of any kind, she blames it on not staying in bed for a month.

• Like 2

To this day, any time Li gets an ache or a pain of any kind, she blames it on not staying in bed for a month.

Yep, missed the chance to sit the magical month, which supposed to cure/prevent all healthy issues :nonono:

We will have to let Ruby and Mrs.Gravestey update us their findings.

Any good Asian groceries near where your live?

yes, there is a good Asian grocery store nearby, I guess I am just not as a good cook as my mom....I guess this is what is called homesick.. :oneeye:

yes, there is a good Asian grocery store nearby, I guess I am just not as a good cook as my mom....I guess this is what is called homesick.. :oneeye:

Better than Houston's Chinatown, is one restaurant in Wichita, KS. But none of it is as good as in China itself. I have no idea why... ;)

Better than Houston's Chinatown, is one restaurant in Wichita, KS. But none of it is as good as in China itself. I have no idea why... ;)

Doug, I've been told by some Chinese restaurant owners that I use to know that they can't always get the needed ingredient consistently and they cook to cater to the average American's taste which have never eaten real authentic Chinese food.

Larry