UStraveldocs K1/K2 Entry

Guest ExChinaExpat

Guest ExChinaExpat

The new and non-intuitive ustraveldocs website was intended to help visa petitioners and beneficiaries with the immigration process, but in my opinion it's created a whole new set of problems. These problems are created by a few factors, with the most dominant being a lack of clear instruction on how to use the site.

Typically, a good website will have step by step instructions that include examples of how to complete a form and provide all the various senarios. That website however doesn't have diddly squat in that regard, and what's there is misleading. This is a major issue as providing incorrect information or unintentionally omitting it can cause serious problems and delays.

Case in point, the entry for K1 and K2. Once you're lucky enough to navigate to the K visa entry area, it's quite confusing that K1 and K2 have separate radio buttons on the initial screens. However, if you select K1 and make your way to step 6, you are provided the option of adding a dependent child. I did that and all looked well. But, then what's the K2 radio button for? Why is only one $240 USD fee shown when both K1 and K2 will receive visas?

So, I tried logging in and selecting K2 and entering that information. Then, saved it. However, after logging back in I noticed that the K1 entry information had been overwritten.

http://i59.tinypic.com/2d8409k.jpg
http://i61.tinypic.com/359x1xt.jpg
http://i58.tinypic.com/e6tvmg.jpg
http://i59.tinypic.com/b6zl0h.jpg
http://i62.tinypic.com/23shzes.jpg
http://i62.tinypic.com/2ex9dtd.jpg

Just a guess, since I get get in there to see for my self - but aren't you supposed to be entering two separate visa applications for two different people, one K-1 and one K-2?

Would doing so resolve the issues you are seeing? Or are you already doing that? I'm talking about 2 separate USTravelDocs accounts.

Yes, I understand that it's not clear on the web site.

Guest ExChinaExpat

Just a guess, since I get get in there to see for my self - but aren't you supposed to be entering two separate visa applications for two different people, one K-1 and one K-2?

Would doing so resolve the issues you are seeing? Or are you already doing that? I'm talking about 2 separate USTravelDocs accounts.

I considered the option of treating K1 and K2 like two separate accounts, but here's what happens:

First, to use the website you must create an account by providing an email address, username and password. So, anytime you logon, the website knows who you are. Then, to enter information, you must choose non-immigrant, immigrant, or K-visa. Once you get to the K-visa screen, you find yourself at the K-1 and K2 radio button options. For those unfamiliar with the term "radio button" it simply means you can choose one or the other, but not both. Then, after you choose the option, you enter information about the K1, or K2. However, if you choose K2, and enter K2 information, it will overwrite the K1 information.

Keep in mind that a K2 visa needs a K1 to get the visa. K2 is a dependant child who has been previously indicated on petition paperwork. The only way that I can see to enter information about K2, is to choose the K1 option and enter the required information. Then, at step six, enter the dependent child information. Look at the step six screen (above) that contains the text:

"Step 6: Please click "Add a Name" or "Add Existing Applicant" if you have a group/family member (including a child) who needs to apply for a visa with you.

It just doesn't make any sense how the K2 option should be used.

Edited by ExChinaExpat (see edit history)

I considered the option of treating K1 and K2 like two separate accounts, but here's what happens:

First, to use the website you must create an account by providing an email address, username and password. So, anytime you logon, the website knows who you are. Then, to enter information, you must choose non-immigrant, immigrant, or K-visa. Once you get to the K-visa screen, you find yourself at the K-1 and K2 radio button options. For those unfamiliar with the term "radio button" it simply means you can choose one or the other, but not both. Then, after you choose the option, you enter information about the K1, or K2. However, if you choose K2, and enter K2 information, it will overwrite the K1 information.

Keep in mind that a K2 visa needs a K1 to get the visa. K2 is a dependant child who has been previously indicated on petition paperwork. The only way that I can see to enter information about K2, is to choose the K1 option and enter the required information. Then, at step six, enter the dependent child information. Look at the step six screen (above) that contains the text:

"Step 6: Please click "Add a Name" or "Add Existing Applicant" if you have a group/family member (including a child) who needs to apply for a visa with you.

Do you have a second email address you can use for the K-2 application? That's a fairly nasty 'gotcha' in itself, but would seem to get past that little set of radio buttons at least by using one email address for the K-1 and another for the K-2.

Enter the K-1 fist (shouldn't be any problem there), then see if you don't have enough information to complete the K-2 application (AFTER you've entered the K-2's name on Step 6 of the K-1 application)

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)
Guest ExChinaExpat

Do you have a second email address you can use for the K-2 application? That's a fairly nasty 'gotcha' in itself, but would seem to get past that little set of radio buttons at least by using one email address for the K-1 and another for the K-2.

Enter the K-1 fist (shouldn't be any problem there), then see if you don't have enough information to complete the K-2 application (AFTER you've entered the K-2's name on Step 6 of the K-1 application)

Yes, of course there is another option of creating another account on UStraveldocs, but I am concerned that in so doing that it may somehow cause a problem. It's just damned confusing and frustrating. I've not been able to find anything in writing anywhere that indicates that K1 and K2 need to create separate accounts on UStraveldocs. We've completed as much as we can on the site including the DS-160 forms and printed the photo receipts. We have not received the P3 yet, and there are warnings on UStraveldocs and the US Consulate in GZ to not attempt to schedule an interview until you are notified by the consulate.

I don't know if they release some functionality on the website when they send the P3 or not. If I create a new K2 account, I don't know how that K2 information will be associated with the K1 information, DS-160, and other stuff.

Just tried creating a new profile and this new disclaimer appeared:

http://i61.tinypic.com/3167msg.png

That confirmation should be the same for the K-2 as it was for the K-1, which may just provide the link-up ( remember that they're linked to the same petition) that you are looking for (if it's not already provided in the Step 6 you quoted earlier).

You didn't say what they're asking you to confirm there. Not all CR1/IR1, CR2/IR2, or IR5 HAVE an immediately eligible visa number, so I doubt that'll be a stumbling block for you. If it is, you may need to get on the horn either to USTravelDosc.com, or the IV Section at GUZ.

Remember that you ARE applying for two separate visas deriving from just ONE petition.

Guest ExChinaExpat

That confirmation should be the same for the K-2 as it was for the K-1, which may just provide the link-up ( remember that they're linked to the same petition) that you are looking for (if it's not already provided in the Step 6 you quoted earlier).

You didn't say what they're asking you to confirm there. Not all CR1/IR1, CR2/IR2, or IR5 HAVE an immediately eligible visa number, so I doubt that'll be a stumbling block for you. If it is, you may need to get on the horn either to USTravelDosc.com, or the IV Section at GUZ.

Remember that you ARE applying for two separate visas deriving from just ONE petition.

Randy, if you create a new account on UStraveldocs nothing from another account will be associated with it. So, that means a K2 account has no way of being associated with the K1. Further, the UStraveldocs website appears to be designed to keep the US partner out of the picture. It assumes that the account is being created by the beneficiary and auto-populates the content based on the account holder's name. It just doesn't make any sense to create a separate account for a K2, especially when you consider a K2 may in fact be the infant of the K1. The K2 isn't going to complete that information, and also, most if not all beneficiaries would have a hard time trying to figure out that freaking website, especially when we Americans can't even figure it out.

Randy, if you create a new account on UStraveldocs nothing from another account will be associated with it. So, that means a K2 account has no way of being associated with the K1. Further, the UStraveldocs website appears to be designed to keep the US partner out of the picture. It assumes that the account is being created by the beneficiary and auto-populates the content based on the account holder's name. It just doesn't make any sense to create a separate account for a K2, especially when you consider a K2 may in fact be the infant of the K1. The K2 isn't going to complete that information, and also, most if not all beneficiaries would have a hard time trying to figure out that freaking website, especially when we Americans can't even figure it out.

The USTravelDocs website is for visa applicants of all ages. As before, even with the paper applications as we used to fill out, an adult will generally fill in the information for a child. In this case, the child IS the K-2 beneficiary. Like you are finding, I'll bet you'll have a real hard time filing two visa applications, paying two sets of fees, and scheduling two interviews from one account. USTravelDocs allows you to enter the information which will then be passed along to the consulate, who will put it all together.

But then again, you're there and I'm not, and I can't look at what you're doing. Just a guess - that you'll end up creating two accounts for the two visa applications. Perhaps it's best to just hang loose until you're at the P-3 stage.

The old-style (paper) K-2's were activated simply by submitting the P-3 paperwork, and requesting an interview date. Until that point, there was no indication whatsoever to the consulate that you would actually be applying for a K-2 - although we were asked repeatedly at different steps all the way through my wife's AOS interview (when she finally said YES!).

Guest ExChinaExpat

I appreciate your feedback Randy. My point in posting this here isn't to try to read the minds of the blockheads who created the website. Rather, it was to start a discussion to find clear instruction either from another government source, or from another member's experience who have used the site for K1 and K2 successfully. There is an answer, and at this point we are waiting for the P3 and there are several warnings to not try to do stuff on ustraveldocs until they contact you. There is however some misleading information on other sites that suggests there are shortcuts by trying to outguess the consulate.

I'm just seeking the facts, peppered with a little speculation.

:lol: Blockheads, yep CGI federal is the same company who did the site for ACA Health.Gov, I too nearly pulled my hair out a few months ago dealing with that site as to how to do payment for my mother in law's visit visa. I could clearly see that CGI federal is a hack IT company.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/10/16/meet-cgi-federal-the-company-behind-the-botched-launch-of-healthcare-gov/

:lol: Blockheads, yep CGI federal is the same company who did the site for ACA Health.Gov, I too nearly pulled my hair out a few months ago dealing with that site as to how to do payment for my mother in law's visit visa. I could clearly see that CGI federal is a hack IT company.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/10/16/meet-cgi-federal-the-company-behind-the-botched-launch-of-healthcare-gov/

I just filled this out for my father-in-law (as an aside - he was just approved this morning in China.) by far the easiest way to pay the visa fee is at a ICBC branch in China. The system recognized the payment within five minutes. Though I would agree that you would think a site that was for US visa's would accept a US Credit Card. I actually found the visitor's visa section fairly easy to navigate, just got her father on the phone late at night US time and filed it out. No way my father-in-law could do it himself.

I just filled this out for my father-in-law (as an aside - he was just approved this morning in China.) by far the easiest way to pay the visa fee is at a ICBC branch in China. The system recognized the payment within five minutes. Though I would agree that you would think a site that was for US visa's would accept a US Credit Card. I actually found the visitor's visa section fairly easy to navigate, just got her father on the phone late at night US time and filed it out. No way my father-in-law could do it himself.

Our headache happened when trying to generate a "CGI Number" used to pay the fee, the link was not obvious, we went round and round trying to figure that one out.

Guest ExChinaExpat

Now that's depressing! Holy shiite. The very same bunglers who created the most expensive boat anchor website in human history are responsible for the UStraveldocs website. That's just one big freaking piece of bad and disgusting news. But, you know it makes sense. For the last thirty years it's been my business to document, review, analyze, and create user documents for human interface engineering. There is a term that's often overused and misunderstood called: "Intuitive." For a website to be intuitive, means that each and every screen stands on its own and makes sense. It makes sense because the previous screen you clicked to get there gave you what you expected to see. Something else good websites and applications have is Online Help. Good online help is executed when you press the F1 key and provides a context sensitive window containing information about what you can do from the screen you are currently viewing.

A lot of people are not familiar with context sensitive online help so give it a try. Go ahead, press the F1 key right now and then press it again the next time you use Word, Excel, or most any other well-known application. F1 works mostly for applications. You can find a help link right at the top of any GOOD website. If it's not there, then the website is arrogant and stupid, just like CGI Stanley.

For CGI Stanley, it's not intuitive and there is no help available that contains screen shots and answers questions about what to do, how to do it, and what to do to make sure it's right, and what to do if something isn't working right.

On the stupid overpriced piece of shiite website, I did find a link for "Provide Feedback." Yeah, it's there on the left side and you can click it and write your horror story for how F-d up your user experience has been. They thought that would be a good idea because they think their excrement don't stink and that any dummass can figure out how to use their thingy.

So, I wrote them a nice note today and asked whether K1 and K2 applicants need to create two user accounts. Creating two user accounts for a K1 and K2 visa would just be stupid, which continues on the GCI Stanley theme of stupid.

Guest ExChinaExpat

China is waking up now, and the people at ustraveldocs are waking up too. So, I just called and spoke to a nice young Chinese man about the proper way to enter K1 and K2 information.

1. The short skinny is that the user need only create ONE account.

2. Select the visa type. In this case, K-visa

3. Choose the option for K1 visa (avoid the K2 option)

4. Enter the K1 applicant's information and click Continue

5. Choose Add to add a dependent

6. Under Relationship, choose Child

7. Type the K2 information

We are still waiting for our P3 so, we simply saved the information at this point. The young man at UStraveldocs was not sure what or when to use the K2 option on the K-visa splash screen. However, he could see our information and verified everything had been entered correctly.