Pre-Interview Processing (K1)

Guest ExChinaExpat

Guest ExChinaExpat

The waiting period during the time the NVC releases paperwork to Guangzhou has always been an obscure gray area. During the past year the methodology for processing Fiance Visas (K1 and K2) has undergone several changes. The change with the biggest impact includes the introduction of the ustraveldocs website. This website was intended to reduce hard-copy paperwork and allow for online processing. But, the intention has missed the mark by embellishing the pre-existing "limbo" period. The best available information from the US government is obscure, but a few warnings do appear on the ustraveldocs website that suggest the K1 applicant do nothing until they are contacted via receipt of P3 paperwork. When does that happen? What if anything should a couple do during this period? The best instruction I've been able to gleen is to avoid the rumor mills of mis-information.

We received the following response from the US Consulate in Guangzhou after three attempts sending inquiries via their website. The first two responses contained statements that they were unable to verify identify despite the fact we entered the very information they requested again on the form page. The first two replies indicated that unless several questions were answered correctly, and the sender of the inquiry submit to removal of unwanted body parts and / or a pint or two of fresh human blood.

Thank you for your email.

We have received your case from the National Visa Center and it is currently undergoing pre-interview processing. As soon as the pre-interview processing is complete, we will contact you with detailed instructions.

Sincerely,
Immigrant Visa Unit
U.S. Consulate General Guangzhou

I'm just blowing off steam here, but there is a lot of room for improvement. I'm not one to accept status quo as the new norm.

Typically P3 paperwork can be expected a month or two after NVC sends the case to the consulate.

One pre interview thing is Medical and Vaccinations, for a K-Visa the vaccination record is optional and can be done in the USA, HOWEVER, it is less expensive and less of a hassle to get the DS-3025 record done in China when doing the medical, the medical people will seal the vaccination record in a separate envelope marked for immigration, safe this and attach it to the adjustment of status paperwork after marriage in the states. SEE: http://candleforlove.com/forums/topic/41344-us-civil-surgeons-and-the-i-693/

Guest ExChinaExpat

Typically P3 paperwork can be expected a month or two after NVC sends the case to the consulate.

Right. That's the status quo many Americans just accept as being an okay behavior. From my perspective, it's not okay to submit your most personal details to the US government and have them behave as if you are on trial and if you have any questions other than what they provide you then you must submit a form and allow 60 days to hear a reply.

When it comes to immigration reform, changing this status quo should be number two on the list. The first on the list is to close all the borders. Number three is to deport anyone who entered the country illegally.

Actually for this it has sped up, it use to be that in K-1 cases, the NVC would ship the case files over, where they would sit for 3 months in a customs hold before they would be released to the consulate, they would then mail out P-3, then another month after returning the OF-169 P-4 would arrive with an interview date set about a month later. So the process use to be around 5 months from NVC sending case to GUZ to an interview.

See our case NVC Left 9/18/06 Interview 2/28/07 (5 months and a week)
Our Timeline..

Guest ExChinaExpat

I see you're trying to do something Dan, but your replies are not on target with the point of my posts. You weren't around when during late 2004 and early 2005 when I started a previous K1 and posted a lot on this site. I know exactly how long it used to take to process K1 petitions back in those days as I watched all of them very closely. Quite frankly as of today, the processing time hasn't changed much. It still ranges from about 5-12 months from the date a petition is mailed to the USCIS until the interview.

Let me again explain the point of my post, which wasn't reassurance or validation seeking as I am basing my posts on personal experience. Mick is one of the last ones left that remember the black hole days of processing petitions in a post-911 America. Even back in those days it was VERY important not to confuse processing times and methods between Fiance Visa and non-Fiance Visa types.

K1 processing changed last year with the introduction of the ustraveldocs website. My personal observations are that there is lack of information from government websites whether they be the NVC, US State Department, and the USCIS as to how Fiance Visas are processed for China today. What is needed are clear instructions and step by step procedures that include how and when to do things. I know you got a few tags and walls of text that you like to toss about, but I'm posting observations here.