You May 育美 Website and Blog

dnoblett

What is wet market? what do they sell? Thank you Mr True! for an English expression Occam's Razor. I googled today and met Mr William of Occam there who taught me, " Entities should not be multiplied unnecessarily" lol

Best regards,

A Chinese beggar

Edited by Catherineli (see edit history)

What is wet market? what do they sell? Thank you Mr True! for an English expression Occam's Razor. I googled today and met Mr William of Occam there who taught me, " Entities should not be multiplied unnecessarily" lol

Best regards,

A Chinese beggar

I had to look that one up, they are not too common in the states.

hinese Wet Markets

Wet markets traditionally were places that sell live animals out in the open. This includes poultry, fish, reptiles, and pigs. However, since SARS, large animals and poultry are not as commonly found in the markets in Hong Kong, though live fish, shellfish, and frogs are widely available. Some markets also sell exotic animals. Fresh fruits and vegetables are also available. Wet markets also generally include butcher shops with fresh meat. The fresh meat and fish sections are separate from the fruit and vegetable stalls. Many markets also have stalls that sell dried goods, flowers, and processed tofu as well as cooked meat.

In Hong Kong the wet markets are most frequented by older Hong Kongers, those with lower incomes, and domestic helpers who serve approximately 10% of Hong Kong's residents. Recently they have become sites of interest to tourists as places to see the "real Hong Kong",.

Many of the wet market buildings are owned by property investment firms and as a result the price of food can vary from market to market. In general, the owner of the wet market building is responsible for maintaining the building infrastructure. Stalls are rented out to retailers, who purchase and sell their goods independently. This is in contrast to a supermarket which is operated by a single company.

For some customers, it is important to see the animal live before being sold. Specifically, they may want to check its health and quality. This is generally not an option in supermarkets, except in lobster or fish booths. Most wet markets have facilities for allowing a customer to choose a live animal, then either take it home as is or watch it killed and cleaned.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wet_market http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E5%82%B3%E7%B5%B1%E5%B8%82%E5%A0%B4

The closest thing to this around where I live is a Lobster store where we can buy live lobster.

One time when I toured China, we visited a Wet Market in Guangzhou, there were all sorts of live food animals for sale there.

Oh, American wet market seems like an open-air market where only live things are sold such as live fish, pigs, etc. It seems Joecy went to China wet market to buy vegetables. Maybe she meant the street market selling things on the ground.

Xiexie

Catherine

Dan and Catherine,

Thanks for helping me to explain. Sorry that I didn't make it clear.

The Chinese wet market I meant was the kind you can buy live poultry, sea food, or repair your shoes and umbrella.

http://i2.sinaimg.cn/travel/2014/0422/U9873P704DT20140422154017.jpg

HI Joecy, nice to see you on again! I've not seen such a "comprehensive" market in the north. There are morning markets and evening markets on the street here in CC. xiexie Joecy for sharing.

So, what if the husband is so weird, even US Citizens' never imagined? :rotfl:

Good question! I started another topic about how crazy American men are.

Please chime in on the weirdness :Taking_photo:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Jocey! We received the first issue a few days ago, and so far my wife, mother and I have all been reading it. I even tried to make one of the "children's lunch" items this morning for breakfast... turned out great. Let me know when subscriptions begin; I'm definitely interested.

BTW I think we met many years ago at Harley's when Yuyintang was just starting. Good memories :)

Hi Msittig,

I'm glad you like the magazine! That tortillas egg ham is me and my daughter's favorite lunch!

I had found your name very familiar..... now I know! You are the one always holding a camera, standing close to the stage, and you had very curly hair?

Can't believe you even remember Harley's!

I'm glad you and Jodi are settling down in CA! I will be happy to talk to her whenever she'd like to speak some more mandarin or Shanghai dialect?

Yes, it was the tortilla with egg/ham, and it was delicious (with a little green hot sauce):

http://msittig.wubi.org/imgs/mexican_jianbing.jpg

Actually the most interesting thing about having the You May magazine is that my mother is reading it as a way to understand how Jodi is adapting to life in the US. There was a little friction between them at first, but we improved communication and things started to smooth out.

I was very quiet in the days of Harley's/Gua2/Ark/etc, sometimes brought my camera but mostly just enjoyed the music.

Msittig, Did you make that, and the picture too? It's very good looking food and picture!!! How did you make the black background?

I'm glad your mom find the magazine informative. Sometimes, it's hard for American to image how their daily life could be so challenging to a Chinese, if they have never LIVED in a foreign country. You have lived in China , I'm sure you know it well. Please keep giving me ideas on how to improve the content :)

mmm, I'm ashamed to say I have never been to Gua2. I missed the old Ark in Xintiandi, still can't believe we did a death metal concert there, that was probably the coolest thing ever happened to Xintiandi :gleam:

• Randy W changed the title to You May 育美 Website and Blog