Renew a previous green card

My wife became friends with a woman. This is her situation. She came here legally with promise of a good job. She arrived legally and had a green card. The work she was to do was quite undesirable and not what she was promised in China. Her card expired and her lack of English has hindered her renewing it. She would like to stay here. She is in the SF Bay Area.. Does anyone know if she can renew this? Where should she start.. Thanks and hope all is well with everyone.. Jim

It was a 2 year card and is now expired...

2 year conditional? This tends to be one in cases of a short marriage (Less than 2 year before green-card) to a US citizen.

She may need to check the card to see if it had conditions, if not, then the I-90 should work, however if it had conditions requiring an I-751 filed within 90 days before it expired, she may be out of luck, and will need a lawyer to look at it and perhaps fight for her in immigration court.

My wife became friends with a woman. This is her situation. She came here legally with promise of a good job. She arrived legally and had a green card. The work she was to do was quite undesirable and not what she was promised in China. Her card expired and her lack of English has hindered her renewing it. She would like to stay here. She is in the SF Bay Area.. Does anyone know if she can renew this? Where should she start.. Thanks and hope all is well with everyone.. Jim

You don't say what her original visa was for, although it sounds like it should have been a work visa.

Yes, she can most likely stay if she wants to - with another job offering immigrations benefits, marriage to a U.S. citizen, or a court-ordered Adjustment of Status. Perhaps a visit with a lawyer can help her sort out the possibilities.

Yes it was a work visa... She had previously worked in Korea doing factory work. She did this for a few years. She was told shy could do this in America and make better money. She paid a Chinese business a sizeable amount to get the work visa for her. She came here thinking she would work here in a factory for two years. She wanted to pay her house and send her son to private school so he would get a good education. When she arrived here there was no factory job. She was taken to a massage parlor and told the more sexual favors you do for customers the more money you will make. She was devastated. She has survived and made the best of her situation. She is working in a legit business but never was able to renew her card. She would like to stay here and own her own business. I told her I would try to help.. I think she needs to talk to a lawyer, but expensive.. How sad that people are used this way... Thanks again..

• Like 1

I just noticed I only have a few posts.. I was a member here a few years back. My wife now has her 10 year card. I haven't been active here for a while. I see some of the same people still here helping out. Thanks for your dedication, you know who you are.. It was nice to come here and get things straight.

• Like 2

I just noticed I only have a few posts.. I was a member here a few years back. My wife now has her 10 year card. I haven't been active here for a while. I see some of the same people still here helping out. Thanks for your dedication, you know who you are.. It was nice to come here and get things straight.

Come back more often, we do have many topics having to do with things other than immigration.

Yes it was a work visa... She had previously worked in Korea doing factory work. She did this for a few years. She was told shy could do this in America and make better money. She paid a Chinese business a sizeable amount to get the work visa for her. She came here thinking she would work here in a factory for two years. She wanted to pay her house and send her son to private school so he would get a good education. When she arrived here there was no factory job. She was taken to a massage parlor and told the more sexual favors you do for customers the more money you will make. She was devastated. She has survived and made the best of her situation. She is working in a legit business but never was able to renew her card. She would like to stay here and own her own business. I told her I would try to help.. I think she needs to talk to a lawyer, but expensive.. How sad that people are used this way... Thanks again..

That's very bad news - both for the original setup, and renewing the visa. Yes, sounds like a visit to a good immigrations lawyer is necessary.