Chengdu refused to give certified copy of passport

The title says it all.

My sister in law (hong sister) when to Chengdu to get a certified copy of her passport

so Bob, her American husband can get her an ITIN number (W-7) she had a appointment and all

Chengdu said they did not trust her and she needed some sort of tax papers from bob.

What papers she needs i have no idea.

The only thing i know she wasted a trip to Chengdu and will have to go back.

Any idea what they are talking about.

She will be in Chengdu for 5 more days and there is a appointment open this Friday.

Would like to get this taken care of this week.

Mike

Perhaps have Bob fill out a W-7 sign, it and attach a photo-copy of his passport bio page to it, along with a copy of their incomplete 1040, along with a notarized letter stating that they need a certified copy of her passport to be able to file their joint return. Scan the whole thing and email it to her to take to the consulate.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw7.pdf

Perhaps have Bob fill out a W-7 sign, it and attach a photo-copy of his passport bio page to it, along with a copy of their incomplete 1040, along with a notarized letter stating that they need a certified copy of her passport to be able to file their joint return. Scan the whole thing and email it to her to take to the consulate.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw7.pdf

Thanks dan.

Got some more info from my wife. (she just got off the phone with her sister)

Chengdu is saying they need to see a competed W-7.

I'm doing Bobs taxes this year and i have all his info, So I'll be taking care of this issue and getting her a

new appointment.

Though it has been many years that i filled out a W-7 and forget what info is needed.

Mike

Edited by NUWORLD (see edit history)

Great! just finished the W-7 and tried to get appointment on chengdu web site for this Friday (One opening left for this day)

Filled out all info and i get this.

ACS Appointment System - An error occurred on the server when processing the URL. Please contact the system administrator.

To get a certified copy of the passport, you would normally go to the U.S. consulate through an appointment with American Citizen Services. The Chinese certification MAY not be what you expect, or it MAY not be recognized by the IRS, since it may or may not be the correct "issuing authority". See other threads on this topic. I can search for them later, if you'd like.

Then again, it may work. Good luck.

I don't think I've heard of anyone successfully doing it this way

To get a certified copy of the passport, you would normally go to the U.S. consulate through an appointment with American Citizen Services. The Chinese certification MAY not be what you expect, or it MAY not be recognized by the IRS, since it may or may not be the correct "issuing authority". See other threads on this topic. I can search for them later, if you'd like.

On re-reading this, it sounds like you ARE talking about going to the consulate. If so, NEVER MIND, and I'll go get my cup of coffee.

• Like 1

On re-reading this, it sounds like you ARE talking about going to the consulate. If so, NEVER MIND, and I'll go get my cup of coffee.

No problem Randy.

Yes, she has already been to the Chengdu consulate TODAY! 2/25/2014 and this is when they said NO!!

They said they needed to see a completed W-7 form signed and dated.

This has been taken care of as this posting.

She has the W-7 and even though the Chengdu appointment system was down.

I finally got her a new appointment for this Thursday. 2/27/2014

we'll see what happens the second time around.

I have one more question.

If and when She gets the certified copy of papssport

does IRS require the original certified copy or can if be a photo copy?

UPDATE: Hong's sister had a new appointment again today at Chengdu.

This time i furnished her with a completed W-7 form.

She signed and dated it.

We just received a email from her sister and Chengdu this time gave her the certified copy of her passport.

So for anyone doing this anytime soon you will need.

1) Current valid passport.

2) appointment letter from consulate.

3) Completed W-7 form.

I still have the same question as above.

Does the IRS need the certified copy she has in hand now? or can she make a photo copy and send

to us by email?

Per IRS web site on this subject and is not to clear what to send.

Certified copies. A certified document is one that the original issuing agency provides and certifies as an exact copy of the original document and contains an official stamped seal from the Agency. You may be able to request a certified copy of documents at an embassy or consulate. However, services may vary between countries, so it is recommended that you contact the appropriate consulate or embassy for specific information.

http://www.irs.gov/instructions/images/taxtip.gif
Original documents you submit will be returned to you at the mailing address shown on your Form W-7. You do not need to provide a return envelope. Applicants are permitted to include a prepaid Express Mail or courier envelope for faster return delivery of their documents. The IRS will then return the documents in the envelope provided by the applicant. If your original documents are not returned within 60 days, you can call the IRS (see Telephone help above). If you will need your documents for any purpose within 60 days of submitting your ITIN application, you may wish to apply in person at an IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center. See Where To Apply, later.
Proving your "foreign status" or “identity. If you submit an original valid passport (or a certified copy from the issuing agency), you do not need to submit any other documents to prove your “foreign status” or “identity.” Otherwise, you must submit at least two of the documents listed in the chart below. The documents must be current*, verify your identity (that is, contain your name), and support your claim of foreign status. At least one document must contain your photograph, but a photograph is not required if documents are submitted for a dependent under age 14 (under age 18 if a student). Do not attach expired documents.
Edited by NUWORLD (see edit history)

I have one more question.

If and when She gets the certified copy of papssport

does IRS require the original certified copy or can if be a photo copy?

UPDATE: Hong's sister had a new appointment again today at Chengdu.

This time i furnished her with a completed W-7 form.

She signed and dated it.

We just received a email from her sister and Chengdu this time gave her the certified copy of her passport.

So for anyone doing this anytime soon you will need.

1) Current valid passport.

2) appointment letter from consulate.

3) Completed W-7 form.

I still have the same question as above.

Does the IRS need the certified copy she has in hand now? or can she make a photo copy and send

to us by email?

Per IRS web site on this subject and is not to clear what to send.

Certified copies. A certified document is one that the original issuing agency provides and certifies as an exact copy of the original document and contains an official stamped seal from the Agency. You may be able to request a certified copy of documents at an embassy or consulate. However, services may vary between countries, so it is recommended that you contact the appropriate consulate or embassy for specific information.

http://www.irs.gov/instructions/images/taxtip.gif
Original documents you submit will be returned to you at the mailing address shown on your Form W-7. You do not need to provide a return envelope. Applicants are permitted to include a prepaid Express Mail or courier envelope for faster return delivery of their documents. The IRS will then return the documents in the envelope provided by the applicant. If your original documents are not returned within 60 days, you can call the IRS (see Telephone help above). If you will need your documents for any purpose within 60 days of submitting your ITIN application, you may wish to apply in person at an IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center. See Where To Apply, later.
Proving your "foreign status" or “identity. If you submit an original valid passport (or a certified copy from the issuing agency), you do not need to submit any other documents to prove your “foreign status” or “identity.” Otherwise, you must submit at least two of the documents listed in the chart below. The documents must be current*, verify your identity (that is, contain your name), and support your claim of foreign status. At least one document must contain your photograph, but a photograph is not required if documents are submitted for a dependent under age 14 (under age 18 if a student). Do not attach expired documents.

That seems pretty clear there - a photo copy would not be a certified copy. There would be no "interview" where you could submit the original certified copy, as there is for the visa interview.

Well as some of you all know my sister in law received her certified copy of her passport

for W-7

Though it took two trips to Chengdu she came out a winner.

Seeing there has been no document posted here on CFL what a certified copy looks like.

I will post what she received.

gallery_2511_535_203390.jpg

• 1 year later...

Hey all,

I need to get a certified copy of my wife's passport in order to get her an ITIN and thereafter submit our joint tax return this year.

Is the prevailing wisdom at this point still to make an appointment with the Embassy (here in Beijing), and bring the following:

1) Current valid passport for wife.

2) Appointment letter from consulate.

3) Completed Form W-7.

Correct?

Also, because the two of us will have to go together, I'm thinking I should just make the appointment's name in my wife's name to be on the safe side.

And to be clear, they will simply provide us with a document that says her passport has been certified, not directly give us the ITIN; we then submit the original document certifying her passport with Form W-7 with our taxes, right?

I'm pretty sure this is the procedure. Just thought I'd check with you guys so we don't end up wasting a trip and time going to the Embassy only to have to do it all again.

Thanks!

dan

Hey all,

I need to get a certified copy of my wife's passport in order to get her an ITIN and thereafter submit our joint tax return this year.

Is the prevailing wisdom at this point still to make an appointment with the Embassy (here in Beijing), and bring the following:

1) Current valid passport for wife.

2) Appointment letter from consulate.

3) Completed Form W-7.

Correct?

Also, because the two of us will have to go together, I'm thinking I should just make the appointment's name in my wife's name to be on the safe side.

And to be clear, they will simply provide us with a document that says her passport has been certified, not directly give us the ITIN; we then submit the original document certifying her passport with Form W-7 with our taxes, right?

I'm pretty sure this is the procedure. Just thought I'd check with you guys so we don't end up wasting a trip and time going to the Embassy only to have to do it all again.

Thanks!

dan

Yes - the IRS will issue the ITIN when your tax return is submitted to the address on the W-7.

You MAY accompany your wife, although I expect that either of you could get it by yourselves.

Sounds like you're good to go!