I-134 and Temp Job

Guest ExChinaExpat

Guest ExChinaExpat

I filed for K1 while still living in China and have returned to the US to find work and live. We're now awaiting approval of the I-129f. Yesterday I was offered a short-term contract job for six months, which may or may not go longer. I know the I-134 is not as restrictive as the I-864, but I am wondering whether a "temp" job like this would be cause for denial?

On the other hand perhaps they may view it favorably in that I was offered this job so quickly. That is most likely due to many tech jobs like this one are hard to fill in America. I'm on the fence about accepting it as there are a couple of other jobs that are currently looking at me, but because they are larger companies the approvals can take several days possibly longer.

Edited by ExChinaExpat (see edit history)

It's a crap shoot they could see it as positive, some people are contractors going from gig to gig, the issue is track record, if this was what you did in China and the patern continues into the USA then it probably would be accepted, show them that you have other prospects in the pipe.

Or you can line up a joint sponsor for the I-134 and then worry about the I-864 later when adjusting status, you may have landed a long term job and not need to use the joint sponsor when adjusting status.

Guest ExChinaExpat

It's a crap shoot they could see it as positive, some people are contractors going from gig to gig, the issue is track record, if this was what you did in China and the patern continues into the USA then it probably would be accepted, show them that you have other prospects in the pipe.

Or you can line up a joint sponsor for the I-134 and them worry about the I-864 later when adjusting status, you may have landed a long term job and not need to use the joint sponsor when adjusting status.

Even the job offer itself can go toward showing your earnings capacity. I would accept or decline the job on its own merits, and not worry about any immigrations issues there.

Thanks Dan and Randy for the feedback. Dan, I had a permanent job in China, but left it in Dec 2012. I did not work in 2013 and had no income to report because I was recovering from the many surgeries to my leg. Part of the reason I moved to China was because I had been working contract gigs for almost 15 years. Six months here, a year or two there, and then the contract ended and had to move on. Never had a problem finding another contract gig though.

Randy, the job offer is good. A smaller company, so they are not paying as much as the bigger companies. My other half thinks I should simply accept it on the bird in hand principle. Am considering it. For now, the entire reason I came back to the US is to get the job to bring them here.