Wait times between NOA201b and P3 for DCF

Hello. We recently received the letter approving my petition for a IR-1 visa for my husband and our case has been sent to Guangzhou. We're doing direct consular filing, and was wondering how long it took for people to receive the initial P3 packet from Guangzhou. I also have these questions:

1.) What documents are required for the P3? Once we get the documents together, we send them via CITIC branches listed on ustraveldocs.com? And is there one in Beijing that people generally go to?

2.) I've been working as a freelance writer and worked a lot less last year as I was pregnant. My brother, who's a doctor in the States, was going to be a co-sponsor. What documents do I need to get from him?

3.) Between mailing off the P3 and getting the P4, what sort of wait times have people been experiencing?

4.) How easy is it to schedule an interview once you receive the P4?

A little bit of background on us: I am Chinese-American and my husband is British. We've been married for 9 years and have a baby, who is an American. We're currently residing in Beijing. My husband has never had any issues with US immigration and we're hoping to get the visa by November. (How realistic is that?) I realize that this forum is for people trying to get visa for their Chinese loved ones, but it's been hard for me to find information on the DCF process in China. I'd appreciate any guidance and advice.

Your petition has been approved by USCIS. The visa is yet to be approved - this will be done in Guangzhou by the consulate and the Dept. of State.

Document drop-off locations - http://www.ustraveld...mentdropoff.asp. This page lists 5 expedited locations (including one in Beijing), and a link to the CITIC Bank list at http://bank.ecitic.com/personal/chuguo/50.htm, which is currently off-line.

Your brother will need to fill out an I-864, and include all associated documents, including his tax returns.

You schedule your own interview through the CGIStanley usatraveldocs.com web site. People have reported having a LOT of trouble finding available dates, but I expect this has alleviated somewhat now that the consulate move is completed. If you want to interview in November, take a look at the available dates as soon as you can, hopefully early in the month when they release new dates.

You're in the right place - we'll be happy to help.

Be prepared, though, to get your baby out of the country. An exit visa will be required (unless he/she has an American passport which has already been used). I've heard that British citizens have more trouble than others, although I have no idea if you'll actually run into any trouble there.

Many thanks for the speedy reply. Our baby is a US citizen with a passport. He's already in the US with his grandparents, so I'm not worried about him.

A couple of follow-up questions:

1.) Besides the I-864, what other documents are filed with the P-3?

2.) With the expedited locations, can we file all the documents needed for the P-3?

3.) Would my husband need an exit visa from the US? Wondering why Brits are having more trouble than others...

Don't worry about the exit visa - as long as both your husband and your baby have entry stamps for their last entry into China, none is needed. In fact, I think the only problem for a baby born to a British citizen was due to needing an exit/re-entry visa before they could get a Chinese passport. Yours won't need any of the above.

Read up on the procedure through the consulate web site - http://guangzhou.usembassy-china.org.cn/immigrant_visas.html

and ustraveldocs.com - http://ustraveldocs.com/cn/cn-steps.asp

It's important that you follow the directions that you WILL receive through the consulate. Remember that procedures have changed dramatically from what they were in March of this year.

Others will be along shortly with more specific advice.

2) Typical documents for the I-864

• IRS Returns or tax transcripts for past 3 years, transcripts are preferable and free from IRS http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Order-a-Transcript
  • Pay stubs gong back 6 months.
  • Employer letter.
  • A professional such as a doctor if self employed probably would provide a couple bank statements showing pay deposits, and perhaps a letter indicating self employed,
  • Proof of Citizenship or residency in the USA

3) No P3 P4, you will be setting an appointment with P3

P3 documents, will need a police cert from each country he has lived in since age 16, (UK, HK?, China...) Look up how to aquire these here. http://travel.state.gov/visa/fees/fees_3272.html The UK Police cert link on Department of state is broken, use this: http://www.acro.police.uk/police_certificates.aspx

Other P3 documents needed:

• Marriage cert
  • UK Birth cert
  • Any divorce certs
  • Police certs
  • I-864 (Petitioner and joint sponsor) Petitioner also has to show maintaining a Domicile in the states, (Parent's home, Mail, Bills, Bank statements Driver's license addressed to Domicile)
  • The originals of any documents that were submitted as copies with the I-130.

Huge thanks for all this. Very useful -- and good to know we pretty much have everything. One question, and sorry for being such a thickie, but I take it when we send in the P-3, they want certified copies of all the documents? (i.e., birth certificates, marriage license, police certificates, etc.) And then we bring the originals to the interview? We submitted my son's US Consular Report of a Birth Abroad as part of the I-130, and I ain't mailing in the original, in case it gets lost.

No, make so me copies of the docs requested for P3 and send originals, at interview they should return them to you, offer them the copies if they want for file.

• 1 month later...

I'm confused. We are living in Beijing and all has been going smoothly in our DCF. After sending in, as requested, our DS-230 (we'll prepare and extra DS-260 just in case), with a passport copy and 2 photos, we received a notice to make appointment for my Chinese wife in Guangzhou. We have collected our documents and will shortly have her medical packet. We assume my wife should bring in person all these documents, including my I-864 and tax forms, my wife's police documents, etc. Also I assume she pays on the interview day. Yet some posters to this site imply we must pay first via Citic Bank and send documents ahead, which we were never notified to do. Anyone know which is correct?

I'm confused. We are living in Beijing and all has been going smoothly in our DCF. After sending in, as requested, our DS-230 (we'll prepare and extra DS-260 just in case), with a passport copy and 2 photos, we received a notice to make appointment for my Chinese wife in Guangzhou. We have collected our documents and will shortly have her medical packet. We assume my wife should bring in person all these documents, including my I-864 and tax forms, my wife's police documents, etc. Also I assume she pays on the interview day. Yet some posters to this site imply we must pay first via Citic Bank and send documents ahead, which we were never notified to do. Anyone know which is correct?

It's more or less your choice, since the notification procedure is obviously out of whack. But your visa will be held up until all documents are submitted (and processed) and fees are paid. The visa officer will obviously not take the time to review your I-864 or your wife's police documents at the time of the interview, nor will she be able to pay the fees during her visit to the consulate.

You may wish to stay ahead of the GUZ goons on this one.