Wanting to get everything right on the first try

Well, my wife went to the notary office here in Beijing and they refused to give her the "white books" or do anything else. They just told her that she has to go back to Taiyuan where we were married. The people working there were very rude and essentially told her to get out and not bother them anymore. She called me crying because of the way they treated her when she tried to ask for more information. She's not very tough and always avoids conflict; what they did was just uncalled for. It is even more frustrating to hear about others who have just recently gotten everything done without their spouse having to go back to their hometown. Situations like this are why I want to get back to the U.S. asap. Abuse of this sort is rare, things are "generally" decided by law or clear policy rather than guanxi, "gifts" and the mood of the bureaucrat; anyway I can be the one to deal with these things instead of her.

I know everybody on this website had to have had loads of patience to get through the whole process and we will need it too. The support and information here is so much more useful and encouraging than from any other "official" channel. So I guess we have to head to Taiyuan, both of us or just her? Is there no way to get it done in Beijing?

Also, I still am not really clear on what I need to do regarding the Japanese divorce certificate. It is really simple, only 1 page, but it is in Japanese. What should I do in order to have it accepted by USCIS?

The pictures, sworn affidavits and Evolution of Relationship letter are being prepared now, thanks for all of the suggestions!

It should be possible to get it done elsewhere, but it's a matter of finding a notary office that's willing to help you

If the Gong Zheng Chu won't help you on the Japanese decree, you may just need to get creative.

Get someone who can translate it, and include this letter of attestation - or go to the Japanese embassy.

Sample letter of attestation (for a non-professional translation of a non-required document (such as a relationship letter):

Telephone:

E-mail:

Qualifications of the translator:

I, hereby, attest that to the best of my knowledge and ability, the translation of the consent and/or other relevant document(s) from [specify language] to English for the attached document is complete and accurate.

Signature of Translator

Date of Translation

Can I translate it myself? It is a really simple document that I'm sure I can do. If I or someone else translates it, how can I make sure it is accepted? Assuming USCIS in Beijing accepts it, does that mean that everything is ok as far as they are concerned?

I would do exactly that, unless you have a better or more convenient alternative. Yes, once it's approved by the USCIS, it has "passed the mustard".

• 1 month later...

I have nearly gotten everything together that I need. It has been much more time consuming than I originally thought. I just have a couple of questions.

1. This Japanese divorce document is driving me insane. I contacted the Japanese Embassy about a translation and notarization. They informed that they are unable to notarize an English translation without a copy of the Japanese ex-wife's passport. The reason for this actually makes complete sense: Japanese characters can be pronounced in a wide variety of ways so there is no way for them to know how her name should be pronounced or translated into English. Because they have to take responsibility for anything they notarize, they are unwilling to do it without a copy of her passport. I don't believe there is any way I will be able to obtain a copy. What should I do? The Japanese Embassy can translate it to Chinese but that leaves the same problem with the name if I try to translate it again to English and anyway a double translation doesn't really seem too acceptable. I could translate it myself but there is no proof that my translation is correct or true. I really don't know what to do or who to contact to ask. Please help if you have any ideas.

2. I want to provide proof that I am living with my wife. What should I provide for this? I have a contract with both of our names on it in Beijing. Unfortunately, because my employer is based in Liao Ning, that is where my official residence permit is in my passport (I am on a work visa). I actually live and work in Beijing. How can I resolve this?

Thank you for any help. I hope to finish and submit the application this month.

I have nearly gotten everything together that I need. It has been much more time consuming than I originally thought. I just have a couple of questions.

1. This Japanese divorce document is driving me insane. I contacted the Japanese Embassy about a translation and notarization. They informed that they are unable to notarize an English translation without a copy of the Japanese ex-wife's passport. The reason for this actually makes complete sense: Japanese characters can be pronounced in a wide variety of ways so there is no way for them to know how her name should be pronounced or translated into English. Because they have to take responsibility for anything they notarize, they are unwilling to do it without a copy of her passport. I don't believe there is any way I will be able to obtain a copy. What should I do? The Japanese Embassy can translate it to Chinese but that leaves the same problem with the name if I try to translate it again to English and anyway a double translation doesn't really seem too acceptable. I could translate it myself but there is no proof that my translation is correct or true. I really don't know what to do or who to contact to ask. Please help if you have any ideas.

2. I want to provide proof that I am living with my wife. What should I provide for this? I have a contract with both of our names on it in Beijing. Unfortunately, because my employer is based in Liao Ning, that is where my official residence permit is in my passport (I am on a work visa). I actually live and work in Beijing. How can I resolve this?

Thank you for any help. I hope to finish and submit the application this month.

Don't create problems for yourself - let the consulate do that. You may be surprised.

1. If you can get a notarized copy from the Japanese embassy, get what they are willing to notarize. Even if it's only the Chinese version. It's unclear from what you say whether they are willing to do this or not. If you are placing ANY restrictions on what the copy should look like (including the format of her name), they may be unwilling to do this. If you don't feel comfortable with what they produce, document what problems you faced.

2. How can you resolve what? You have a contract, you have a residence permit. I don't see an issue here. You seem to have it covered.

Documentation is what it is. It's not up to you to decide what format you'd prefer. The consulate is aware of these things for the most part. They don't expect miracles - and might even deny something which didn't fit the local standards.

That reply was really fast, thank you.

1. They are willing to notarize a Chinese copy because the characters are identical, no pronunciation needed. I haven't asked for anything specific regarding the format. The Japanese Embassy merely stated they couldn't translate anything with a Japanese name into English without proof of how the name would be read. Example: Hakuba 白馬 and Shirouma 白馬. These are both place names in nearly the same area with the exact same characters but completely different pronunciations, thus different English translations. If I do get a notarized Japanese to Chinese translation, what should I do with it? I am under the impression the US Embassy will only accept English. I just feel trapped between a rock and a hard place. The Japanese embassy saying there is no way to notarize an English translation and the US Embassy saying they must have everything in English (and I assume notarized to ensure it is correct).

2. My second question was regarding the residence permit saying Liao Ning Province and my apartment contract saying Beijing. I actually live in Beijing with my wife but have no government issued proof of it. I am afraid an apartment lease is too easy to forge to be considered proof. Wouldn't they look at the "official" proof saying that I lived in Liao Ning which is nowhere near Beijing? Wouldn't that be given more weight than my apartment lease?

I appreciate the encouragement regarding documentation.

That reply was really fast, thank you.

1. They are willing to notarize a Chinese copy because the characters are identical, no pronunciation needed. I haven't asked for anything specific regarding the format. The Japanese Embassy merely stated they couldn't translate anything with a Japanese name into English without proof of how the name would be read. Example: Hakuba 白馬 and Shirouma 白馬. These are both place names in nearly the same area with the exact same characters but completely different pronunciations, thus different English translations. If I do get a notarized Japanese to Chinese translation, what should I do with it? I am under the impression the US Embassy will only accept English. I just feel trapped between a rock and a hard place. The Japanese embassy saying there is no way to notarize an English translation and the US Embassy saying they must have everything in English (and I assume notarized to ensure it is correct).

2. My second question was regarding the residence permit saying Liao Ning Province and my apartment contract saying Beijing. I actually live in Beijing with my wife but have no government issued proof of it. I am afraid an apartment lease is too easy to forge to be considered proof. Wouldn't they look at the "official" proof saying that I lived in Liao Ning which is nowhere near Beijing? Wouldn't that be given more weight than my apartment lease?

I appreciate the encouragement regarding documentation.

1) Why would you insist on an "English" translation when they won't give you one? Get the NOTARIZED decree in the format that they WILL issue. Then you can document their refusal to issue an "English" translation, and you might even include a somewhat less formal English translation, including an attestation to the credentials of the translator.

2) Why would you want "government issued proof" of where you live?? You have a contract, you have a residence permit. By golly, you DO live in Bejing. Submit the evidence you have - DON'T submit anything you don't have. Submit pictures, or other evidence if you want. They WILL sort it out. Remember that you are, in effect, under oath with what you submit.

Whether you live in Liao Ning or Bejing doesn't seem to be pertinent to your visa application. Why are you concerned?

The best guideline is exactly what I said here - Submit the evidence you have - DON'T submit anything you don't have.

1) Simply make a photo copy of the divorce document you have in Japanese, and then get a translation done by someone who is conversant in Japanese and English the translator simply certifies their translation by making note that they are conversant in both languages, they sign it and provide contact info, USCIS does not require that this be notarized.

http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/ilink/docView/AFM/HTML/AFM/0-0-0-1/0-0-0-2061/0-0-0-2253.html

• Please submit certified translations for all foreign language documents. The translator must certify that s/he is competent to translate and that the translation is accurate.

The certification format should include the certifier's name, signature, address, and date of certification. A suggested format is:

Certification by Translator

I [typed name], certify that I am fluent (conversant) in the English and ________ languages, and that the above/attached document is an accurate translation of the document attached entitled ______________________________.

Signature_________________________________
    Date Typed Name
    Address

• USCIS no longer routinely requires submission of original documents or "certified copies." Instead, ordinary legible photocopies of such documents (including naturalization certificates and alien registration cards) will be acceptable for initial filing and approval of petitions and applications.

http://www.uscis.gov/forms/forms-and-fees/general-tips-assembling-applications-mailing

• 1 month later...

I just wanted to give you an update on our progress. I called the USCIS in Beijing today and they initially told me that the earliest appointment time to submit our I-130 was January 9th. I told them that was really late and that I hoped they could find an earlier time. They got back to me with an appointment for next Tuesday! Definitely happy about that.

I think I have everything together but I will list it all here later in case I might have missed something. I still need to organize and create a table of contents. Is there anything in particular I should be aware of before I go to the appointment? We are both quite nervous and just feel like we are lacking something or something will go wrong and delay us for a long time. We will both be going to the embassy together just in case.

If something isn't good enough (for example the Japanese document discussed previously), will they instruct me as to what I should do at that point? Or will they take my application and then request what they want later?

I just wanted to give you an update on our progress. I called the USCIS in Beijing today and they initially told me that the earliest appointment time to submit our I-130 was January 9th. I told them that was really late and that I hoped they could find an earlier time. They got back to me with an appointment for next Tuesday! Definitely happy about that.

I think I have everything together but I will list it all here later in case I might have missed something. I still need to organize and create a table of contents. Is there anything in particular I should be aware of before I go to the appointment? We are both quite nervous and just feel like we are lacking something or something will go wrong and delay us for a long time. We will both be going to the embassy together just in case.

If something isn't good enough (for example the Japanese document discussed previously), will they instruct me as to what I should do at that point? Or will they take my application and then request what they want later?

They will most likely scan through your documents to make sure they're all there, but not for any inconsistency. Yes, you will be notified later by RFE if they need anything further.

We ran out of time due to a lot of other work and life issues all happening around the time we were getting ready to apply. Here is a list of what we submitted yesterday.

• Cover letter and table of contents
  • I-130
  • G-325A for both of us
  • G-1145
  • Copy of passport biographical page and Chinese visa for me
  • Copy of passport biographical page for her
  • Marriage certificate and notarized translation
  • Divorce certificate and translation for both of our prior marriages
  • Passport style photos for both

Evidence of Bona Fide Marriage

• EOR including relationship history, past issues explanation and future plans
  • Joint U.S. bank account statement (I was able to open one without her present in my hometown)
  • Copy of joint apartment lease in Beijing
  • Copy of Registration Form of Temporary Residence (暂住证) for her
  • Copy of Temporary Residence Permit for me
  • Photos of us doing things together in different places, with different people, at different times
  • Affidavits from family and friends (the guy only took the affidavits from her parents and mine, we had about 20 total but he just said to take the others to Guangzhou)

I hope this is enough and maybe useful for someone else. Also, I was confused about the addresses but from what I was told yesterday, the most important one is on part C of the I-130 #20. This is where they will send everything. I put my work address because we can't receive mail at our apartment.

Does our application look good? It is really hard for me to judge it myself, maybe someone who has more experience could evaluate it.

What is going to happen next? Is there anything I can prepare for in advance?

I just want to add that I really appreciate all of the help from Randy and Dan. You guys have helped us a lot, not only here but also from posts to others' questions. Thank you.

Wow, I actually just got the Notice of Approval of Relative Immigrant Visa Petition in an email. I just filed it yesterday afternoon. What does this mean exactly? It says:

"This concludes all action on your petition by this office."

It also said it has been forwarded to Guangzhou. What should my next step be in order to get everything ready in a timely manner?