WeChat anyone?

WeChat, a popular social networking application developed by Chinese Internet giant Tencent Holdings Ltd, has attracted more than 70 million overseas users, a company executive said on Wednesday.

"WeChat has successfully entered South Asia markets, such as India, Thailand and Malaysia," said Martin Lau, Tencent president. Other major markets include Mexico and South America.

The number using WeChat overseas reached 40 million in April and 50 million in May.

Lau also pledged to further develop Tencent's presence outside the Chinese mainland.

"We see the mobile Internet industry as the biggest chance to take our business abroad," said Lau. "Tencent is ready to enter the world stage."

I wonder how many USA CFL members have WeChat in their house?

Yep, my wife uses it with many friends, I use it sometimes to chat with the wife.

http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad334/dnoblett/null_zps66a8e432.pnghttp://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad334/dnoblett/null_zpsaaf30767.png

Go ahead and scan the QR above using your Android or iPhone we chat app if you like to add me.

On iPhone click contacts, then the person+ in the upper right of contact list, then QR Code and scan the above code using the smart phone camera.

http://www.wechat.com/en/

There is no PC or MAC version, however they do provide a cool web based version.

Go here: https://web.wechat.com/?lang=en you will be presented with a QR code, scan it with WeChat app on your smart phone.

In the smartphone APP, go to Contacts, and add contact to get QR Code scanner, and scan the on screen QR code to log into the web version of WeChat

http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad334/dnoblett/Misc%20Junk%20for%20posting/WeChat_zpsbc9baf97.jpg

• 6 months later...

Help. We just got home and I connected my laptop to the internet here in Nanning. Now for the past week I have been trying to get wechat on one of my digital devices. My wifi only USA android smart phone, my android tablet or my Window 8 Laptop. I had been trying in Beijing and Xi'an and maybe even in Nanning before we left. It just wasn't working. When I just re powered my laptop I had to sign in to QQ. I did and my chat screen came up. On it I have the Wechat icon,qqmail, qzone,tencent cloud,instaviewer, and add apps icons. Normally I just have three of my friends' icons on this screen. Another page also pooped up. It is one of those QRscan cubes that Dan posted. It just has WEchat at the top of the cube.

This past week I was getting reject or can't load this app to computer/devices in China type message. Well it seems like something may have changed. I really would like to get Wechat to work when I am in China. Not sure how i can scan the QR scan with my laptop. Any suggestions on how I should proceed? I don't want to muff this up.Thanks. Danb

Help. We just got home and I connected my laptop to the internet here in Nanning. Now for the past week I have been trying to get wechat on one of my digital devices. My wifi only USA android smart phone, my android tablet or my Window 8 Laptop. I had been trying in Beijing and Xi'an and maybe even in Nanning before we left. It just wasn't working. When I just re powered my laptop I had to sign in to QQ. I did and my chat screen came up. On it I have the Wechat icon,qqmail, qzone,tencent cloud,instaviewer, and add apps icons. Normally I just have three of my friends' icons on this screen. Another page also pooped up. It is one of those QRscan cubes that Dan posted. It just has WEchat at the top of the cube.

This past week I was getting reject or can't load this app to computer/devices in China type message. Well it seems like something may have changed. I really would like to get Wechat to work when I am in China. Not sure how i can scan the QR scan with my laptop. Any suggestions on how I should proceed? I don't want to muff this up.Thanks. Danb

What changed is that your location is now in China, as reported both by your device and by your network location.

As to what errors you are seeing because of that change, we would have no idea. The QR box would have some purpose - you need to be able to figure out what that purpose is.

You might try using VPN software, but it's unclear why any of the apps you're talking about wouldn't work in China.

There are 325 views over a 6 month period on this topic. That suggests that there is some interests in it. I didn't hear too much about wechat or weixin or weibo until 4-5 weeks ago. I didn't see or hear a need for it until I saw my Lao Po using it about 3 weeks ago. So it seems that it might be time to get on board with it and to try it out. I don't use twitter but it seems to me that that is how my wife uses it. She will post something , maybe a tidbit, that she finds interesting. Perhaps a song or a photo of us visiting the wall that surround the city of Xi'an. Then she may make a comment on that tidbit and then she broadcasts to her friends on Weixin/wechat. At least I think this is how it works. It seems to be pretty popular with her and some other people. I am just not sure how popular it is.

Well back to my problems with getting it. I decided to click on this and click on that. One of the first thing I accomplishing do was to delete the WeChat icon. :sweating_buckets: I was able to get it back eventually , learning a little on the way. By the click on this and click on that method I discovered what some of the icons on the main QQ International box has to offer. Clicking on the window pane icon and Add Apps + and manage button allow me to select/deselect the icon I had mention in my post above. Making a little progress but still have some roadblocks. I have to go for now. My Lao Po is going to feed me now. DanB

Here is another use for We-Chat:

WeChat now used for hailing, paying taxis in Beijing

http://shanghaiist.com/attachments/jamesgriffiths/taxi-beijing.png

WeChat parent-company Tencent recently purchased the 'Didi Dache' taxi-hailing app, and have quickly added the app's functionality to their omnipresent WeChat messaging program. Welcome to the future, where you can hail a cab and pay the driver all via your smartphone.

The service is, so far, only available in Beijing, but will (hopefully) be expanding quickly. TechInAsia covered the specifics, and they report:

When users press the “My Bank Card” button under the “Discover” section of WeChat, an option to book a cab appears.
Users then enter their destination and press a button to hail a cab. After a driver accepts the offer, the user notifies the app that they’re in the vehicle, and proceeds to confirm the monetary transaction through WeChat Payments.

The WeChat app can be used for hailing cabs, buying movie tickets, purchasing goods online, sending emoticons, and ultimately eliminating the need to ever have a face-to-face interaction with another human being for the rest of your life.

http://shanghaiist.com/2014/01/07/wechat_expands_into_the_taxi-hailin.php

http://www.techinasia.com/china-hail-taxi-pay-driver-wechat/

I downloaded QR android to my devices. When I scan the QR it says that I don't have the correct version and it says to download the latest version of WeChat and to try again. I am probably in the ball park but I feels like I am going around in circles. At least I am learning some of the features of QQ International. Danb.

I downloaded QR android to my devices. When I scan the QR it says that I don't have the correct version and it says to download the latest version of WeChat and to try again. I am probably in the ball park but I feels like I am going around in circles. At least I am learning some of the features of QQ International. Danb.

QR code scanner is in the Wechat app itself

Go to discover

http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad334/dnoblett/Misc%20Junk%20for%20posting/6202584C-D7EB-4001-BA6A-676266A3EEB1_zpsi8g5smzg.png

• 1 month later...

Hello. Here is a link to a story on Wechat vs Weibo:

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/02/27/business/tencent-wechat-unseats-sina-weibo/

Now that I am back in the states I have a limited access to WeChat/ Weicin or is it Weibo on my old laptop? Actually it says at the top of the page TENCENT WEIBO. I haven't been able to hook up with my wife's wechat yet. According to the CNN article Wechat and Weibo are in competition with each other. Well on my International QQ page. I have both apps. When I click on Weibo I taken to a friend's page. And I can post on it. When I click on the WeChat icon I get QR code with Wechat and underneath it says "Scan the QR code with Wechat". Don't know how I am going to scan that QR Code? I am suppose to use a web cam? I hope I have time to work getting wechat to work for me. Danb

Hello. Here is a link to a story on Wechat vs Weibo:

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/02/27/business/tencent-wechat-unseats-sina-weibo/

Now that I am back in the states I have a limited access to WeChat/ Weicin or is it Weibo on my old laptop? Actually it says at the top of the page TENCENT WEIBO. I haven't been able to hook up with my wife's wechat yet. According to the CNN article Wechat and Weibo are in competition with each other. Well on my International QQ page. I have both apps. When I click on Weibo I taken to a friend's page. And I can post on it. When I click on the WeChat icon I get QR code with Wechat and underneath it says "Scan the QR code with Wechat". Don't know how I am going to scan that QR Code? I am suppose to use a web cam? I hope I have time to work getting wechat to work for me. Danb

Your friend is probably the last person to log in to Weibo on your computer. You may want to log out for him.

A free tool for reading QR codes on your desktop (no camera is needed) - http://www.codetwo.com/freeware/qr-code-desktop-reader/

Use we chat app on a camera smart phone or iPod we chat on these devices have a QR code reader that enables the web we chat.

We chat in the states works well on iPhone and android phones.

I think I posted about this earlier in this thread.

Dan and Randy, I downloaded that desktop QR scanner app. I also went and reread the posts in this thread. I stumbled around for a while. And then I went and got my stateside only ( not unlocked) cell phone. That does have a Wechat icon on one of my screens. Looking at some of the screenshots and following the suggestions I was able to find the Wechat QR scanner. I was also able to send an "invite" to my wife and also was able to get her back into my friends list. I also found a help/faq page. I did check my new laptop and my tablets. They do not have QQ international or Wechat on them. This weekend I will be stumbling around my digital devices and see what I can discover. Maybe there are some how-to tutorials on You tube.

I have one question. What is the difference between Wechat, Weibo and and the chat app that I normally use to "chat" with my wife? We "chat" on QQ International. It has video, sound, photo and file sharing, etc, features. We used to use Yahoo and MSN Messenger but this QQ International app seems to work better for us. We have less trouble with this system.I wonder if I ever get good at using WeChat if that is a better system to use. Thanks for the suggestions. Danb

PS, Just noticed that I don't seem to "really" have the Wechat app on my old laptop. I have an Wechat Icon on my QQ international page but when I click on it it does not take me to a box that is titled Wechat. On my cell phone when I click on Wechat icon it does take me to box titled Wechat. There maybe a glimmer of light as I stumble around looking around these apps. Just an ever so small glimmer of light.