Guangzhou new processes for visa applications and documents

Hello we have a K1 visa in process and she should be getting the P3 packet soon. What is the new appointment process (see below from consulate)? Perhaps they let you call and make an interview appointment (would be much better)? What is the new document delivery system?

New Process for U.S. Visa Applications

As part of the U.S. Mission China efforts to streamline the visa application process, the Embassy and all Consulates General that issue visas are implementing a new visa appointment, fee payment and document delivery system starting on March 16, 2013. These services will be provided to visa applicants by our authorized partner, CGI Stanley.

Immigrant visa applicants who are qualified for an immigrant visa interview will be contacted directly by the U.S. Consulate General Guangzhou with instructions for making an appointment. Please do not try to schedule an immigrant visa interview until you have been contacted by the U.S. Consulate General Guangzhou.

We are using the "new process" for my wife's CR-1 application. So far it has been excellent. To give an idea of the timeline and process:

1. We did a DCF in Beijing. Nine days letter I received notification via email (scanned letter) that the case had been forwarded to Guangzhou.

2. Two weeks after that, my wife received P3 from Guangzhou via EMS.

3. Five days after returning P3, my wife received an email from GZ instructing her to log in to the CGIStanley website to set an appointment date.

In sum, I'm quite happy with the new process. It seemingly makes the process much quicker than before, and the use of email means much less waiting (and worrying) for EMS.

I only wish we had waited a few weeks to start the application - we applied in late March, so paid the old fee of $420 rather than the new, cheaper one. :Dah:

Edited by lhp (see edit history)

Hello we have a K1 visa in process and she should be getting the P3 packet soon. What is the new appointment process (see below from consulate)? Perhaps they let you call and make an interview appointment (would be much better)? What is the new document delivery system?

New Process for U.S. Visa Applications

As part of the U.S. Mission China efforts to streamline the visa application process, the Embassy and all Consulates General that issue visas are implementing a new visa appointment, fee payment and document delivery system starting on March 16, 2013. These services will be provided to visa applicants by our authorized partner, CGI Stanley.

Immigrant visa applicants who are qualified for an immigrant visa interview will be contacted directly by the U.S. Consulate General Guangzhou with instructions for making an appointment. Please do not try to schedule an immigrant visa interview until you have been contacted by the U.S. Consulate General Guangzhou.

You will receive instructions as to what to do - FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS, since we're not entirely clear on everything that takes place. You will need to set your own appoinment date (like lhp says above), pay fees, and indicate where you wish to pick up the passport with visa, all according to the directions you will receive.

Your appointment date is chosen on line at the ustraveldocs.com web site, once you've been directed to do so. I believe it was lhp who reported earlier that the very next day was even available for his case.

The ustraveldocs.com web site is the CGI Stanley site that you've already provided the link to.

• 1 month later...

The ustraveldocs site is an inept mess. It's basically a lottery system. Are you feeling lucky when you check? You have to check often during daytime hours in China and pray that you get lucky that they've released more appointments right when you check to get a slot.

I've been trying for over a week now to get a slot.

It takes determination and patience to say the least.

Edited by davey (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Has anybody seen / could anybody post a copy of the instruction letter that explains the new process? (document delivery, etc.)

Keep in mind that the Consulate procedures are changing almost monthly. It's VERY important that you follow the instructions that YOU are given, and NOT someone else's, as they may have changed in the meantime.

The latest that I've heard is that document intake is now (again) directly to the Consulate. I guess having a bank perform the duties of a postal service just didn't work out.

• 3 weeks later...

The ustraveldocs site is an inept mess. It's basically a lottery system. Are you feeling lucky when you check? You have to check often during daytime hours in China and pray that you get lucky that they've released more appointments right when you check to get a slot.

We've been at it for over two weeks. When my attorney called for assistance they said it would be 48 hours. So, when they called back on the third day they told my attorney that they had sent him two e-mails. One included a password. He told them that he only received ONE email and did not receive the one with a password. They said a Supervisor would have to help him with this. That will take another 24-48 hours. It's now the third day and we haven't heard a word. It looks like that is just the beginning of trouble after reading your post. WOW. Five years later and this is how its ending?

So true, my wife and I are trying to set up a visit visa for the mum to come and visit us and to make payment for the visa is a nightmare, the bank wants a 12 digit CGI Reference number provided by the website, the only number that we can find seems to be 8 digits. The other pain is there is no branch office for CITIC bank in Guilin, so mum or sister-in-law may have to take a long ride up to Naning to pay the fee. The family don't trust the online site to pay fee and again seem to get hung up on the 12 digit number.

I wish that the site was truly international allowing family in one country pay for the fee using an international payment option like Visa/Master-Card

My fiancee and I (applying for K1) are having the same trouble getting an interview appointment. She received the appointment email, payed the fee, and has been checking daily for a couple of weeks, but no appointments ever appears on the calendar. I gather that some people have been waiting a lot longer. I wrote the consulate over a week ago but have not received any reply. I am also worried that the shutdown could bring all of this to a halt for several months.

This is very hard on both of us, but I am not sure what I can do. Any ideas?