Other Expat Links & Legal Issues

Randy W

Consulate Contact Information - including Emergency Contacts

Paying Taxes in China
Social Security while living in China?

Dept. of State - Federal Benefits and Obligations Abroad

Ex-Pats links of interest

Smart Phone apps for Use in China

NOTE: Phones purchased in Hong Kong are unlocked, and include Google Play and all Google services. Your phone vendor in China MAY be able to install Google Play on a Chinese brand.

Samsung phones sold in China include support for Google accounts, Google contacts, and Google calendar, but no other Google services.

Extended stay in China stories

Two Year Chinese Residence Permit (2010)

Applying for a China Residence Permit (2018)

Applying for a Chinese Green Card (2014 - 2018)

includes information on applying for a US criminal background check

2014 - Some Changes in Travel Visa

Applying for Passport in China

American Citizen Services Beijing Now On Facebook

Applications for China

The Expat's Corner... (musings from Rogerluli 2008)

Important Notice for Visitors to China - concerning registering your stay in China, working, paying taxes, and doing business in China.

Transfer of work permit and residence permit to a new employer

Authentication of Documents for Use in China

Chinese Letter of Authorization - "power of attorney" for use by relatives in China

Ex-Pats Contact list - NOT maintained - use PM

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

• 3 years later...

This is a fairly comprehensive article, but I'll add that to get a Chinese credit card, even on your spouse's account, you will need an actual (legal) Chinese name (at least that's what they told us).

Personal Banking in China: How to Open a Bank Account in China

FEBRUARY 23, 2017

BY SBORTO ZHOU

includes these topics, including WeChat and AliPay

Reasons for opening a bank account in China

What do I need to open a bank account in China?

Do I need a payroll salary or to deposit a minimum amount?
Importance of your name
What bank to choose
Area of bank service
Banking procedures
Obtaining debit and credit cards
Union Pay compared to Visa, MasterCard and American Express
Taking money to China
Taking money back home from China
Online and mobile banking

• 1 year later...

A couple I came across just today

Buying Property in China as a Foreigner

I call BS on a couple of things in this article - a) that it MAY not be as restrictive as they say for a foreigner, depending on which ENTITIES you need to deal with in China, and b) that the "70 year lease" is simply a road bump that China needs to get over. That is, you OWN your property (which is the HOME itself), and there are laws regulating eminent domain-type seizures involving COMPENSATION. As far I can tell, NO ONE holds a "70 year lease" - it is simply AWARDED/SOLD to the initial developer, who is no longer part of the picture once the property is sold to home owners. 70 year leases are "automatically renewed", with potentially a SMALL administrative fee.

That hasn't stopped unscrupulous banks and local officials from attempting to hold home owners hostage to onerous renewal procedures when the old 30 to 40 year leases have approached their renewal dates, but, so far, everyone seems to be pulling through unscathed.

Renewal of the 70 year leases is supposed to be "automatic". The renewal fee after the 70 years comes up seems to be no more than what a typical American homeowner would pay in taxes every year.

The Beginner’s Guide on How to Use TaoBao

I'm sure it's fairly simple to order via Taobao, but as long as I have a CHINESE person to help me, I feel better doing that.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)