List for marriage in Shanghai from 2004?

I found this list for marriage in Shanghai online. Is this outdated? My concerns are #'s 3 & 4 under foreigner requirements regarding the cert of marriageability.

Both Shanghai residents and foreigners have to come in person to the Shanghai Marriage Administration Office (listed below) for their marriage registration if they want to get married in Shanghai out of their own will. They have to abide by the regulations set forth in "the Marriage Law, PRC", "the Marriage Registration Administration Ordinances" issued by the Ministry of Civil Affairs PRC, "the Shanghai Foreigner related Marriage Temporary Provision" and "the Shanghai Marriage Registration Administration Rules". It is necessary that the legal marriage age be no less than 22 years old for a man, and 20 years old for a woman.

Documents for marriage between Shanghai residents and foreigners are as follows:

A. Shanghai Residents Are Required To Have:

1. Permanent Residence Booklet and ID Card
  2. Marital status certificate issued by the county-level unit, above-county-level unit, where he or she is working, sub-district office or town people's government where he or she is living.
  3. Marital Status certificate issued by Chinese Embassy or Consulate-General abroad for those who have traveled outside China on business or for personal matters.
  4. Divorce paper in case of having divorce history. Foreign authority issued divorce paper or death certificate approved by the Chinese Embassy or Consulate-General in the country where he or she has been.

B. Foreigners Are Required To Have:

1. Passport, ID Card or National Certificate
  2. Foreigner's Residence Permit issued by the Shanghai Public Security Bureau, Citizenship Certificate issued by the Shanghai Foreign Affairs Department or temporary residence certificate issued either by the Public security Bureau or the hotel where he or she is living.
  3. Notarized marital status certificate or statement approved by the foreign affairs department in his or her own country and then re-approved by Chinese Embassy or Consulate General there.
  4. Marital status certificate issued by the Embassy or Consulate General of his or her own country in China (acceptable only for the applicant who has lived in China for over 6 months in succession).
  5. Original or certified death certificate or divorce paper in case of being widowed or divorced.

Besides all of the above, three passport-size photographs and health check reports issued by the designated hospital are required.

When the above-mentioned requirements are ready, the applicants will be given an application form to fill in. Once the authenticity of all the papers handed in is established, the Shanghai Marriage Administration Office will approve their application for marriage and grant the marriage licence to them.

http://www.shanghaiexpat.com/phpbbforum/procedure-for-marriage-in-shanghai-china-t8799.html

I'm a US citizen, she's Chinese and is going to change her hukou to Shanghai. Hopefully this won't take long. Anyway , I have a couple questions:

1) Do I need both 3 and 4? I was thinking it was 3 OR 4. Is this written wrong? Hopefully it's out of date.

2) is #4 correct in saying that one must live in China for 6 months to be able to obtain this at the consulate in shanghai?

3) If I'm able to get my single cert in Shanghai at the consulate, will it be acceptable for marriage in Shanghai? My Fiancée read somewhere that it needed to be the version from the states(#3).

4) Does anyone have a list that's current?

Thanks in advance for any help

Getting Married in China

To legally get married in China, you will gather the required documents and present them to the appropriate Chinese authorities. Any ceremony is optional.

Chinese Embassy in Washington, D.C. - Marriage Registration in China (includes a sample single affidavit)

The one from the Embassy doesn't seem to be there anymore - this is from the Houston consulate - http://houston.china...age/jh.htm#aoss

But Visa Express gives this example - http://www.visaexpre...inglestatus.htm

Your choice

The required documents may be certified in China by taking them to a consulate/Embassy. The documents may be ready in time to get married (register) that same day. In the states, it must be notarized then sent to your state's department of state for notarization...then sent to the Chinese consulate

Foreign-Related Marriage And Divorce In China

Requirements for legal documents have changed recently in that they tend to require the stateside certification procedure. For example - We had to get our marriage certificate certified by the Texas State Secretary of State, and the Chinese consulate in Houston. We were even required to get a "fresh" (less than 6 months old) copy of our marriage certificate. No one has reported having to do this for the single certificate, however.

The stateside procedure can be done by mail or in person, but will take at least two mailings or trips - one to the secretary of state, the other to your China consulate with jurisdiction over your area. The consulate will require that you or your authorized representative appear in person, so a Visa service will be needed if you do this by mail.

No, the consulate procedure does NOT require a 6 month residence. Depending on your comfort factor - many people have gotten the consulate, same-day version without any trouble. One or the other - not both is required.

So, is it possible that Shanghai's marriage registration office only accepts the single certificate acquired stateside? It seems that maybe Shanghai's requirements are different than most of China. That being said, I would much rather get it in China, just want to be sure that it would be accepted.

Think of it this way, what would a US Citizen working and living in Shanghai do, if they fell in love and married?

It would be inconvenient for them to have to get this from their home state, it tends to involve getting a notice from their state's secretary of state, and then have it validated by the Chinese consulate having jurisdiction over their home state.

In all likely hood they would visit the US consulate in Shanghai, and get the certificate there, and then get married.

So, is it possible that Shanghai's marriage registration office only accepts the single certificate acquired stateside? It seems that maybe Shanghai's requirements are different than most of China. That being said, I would much rather get it in China, just want to be sure that it would be accepted.

It's possible, yes. Legal documents MUST follow the stateside certification procedure as of Jan., 2012. However, we have not heard of anyone's consulate single certification being rejected.

Every local jurisdiction sets their own standards, based on the standards from Beijing. The only way to find out is to ask, but I think it's all but certain that they will accept it.

If you are presently stateside, however, you may wish to get it done as a fallback. What you need (stateside, anyway) is a document with the Chinese consulate seal of approval.

Let us know what you find out.

Not in Shanghai but I have done it both ways.

The embassy in Bejing gave me some grief, and I should have listened to old stone face about the bride, but she gave me the cert, after I brought all divorce papers certified by the counties involved. Beijing marriage registration offcie took it no problem but that was 2005.

This last time, 2011, I got all certified at the county, secretary of state in Austin, and cert from Chinese consulate, and then the cert that had the chinese cert on the back side from the Chinese consulate in Houston for the single certificate. Nanjing accepted no problem.

Turns out that we're just going to go to Yantai to get married after getting my single certificate at the US consulate in Shanghai. Everything should be very easy this way.

Thanks for all of your help on this subject.