China on the South China Seas

An ongoing topic - click here for Most Recent Post

China will not be passive in sea disputes

http://candleforlove.com/forums/topic/45599-china-on-the-south-china-seas/

from the Global Times

China has no plan to wage a war and recover all the islands illegally occupied by the Philippines and Vietnam. However, China has become more resolute in terms of strikes against the two's provocations.

China's growing leverage over the South China Sea issue stems from stable domestic development. Meanwhile, Manila and Hanoi are witnessing a reduced ability to provoke Beijing over those disputes. Washington is also seeing an increasing number of restraints in its South China Sea policy. The Philippines and Vietnam would face more troubles if they choose to seek fierce confrontation with China.

China should focus on peaceful development. But meanwhile, it is not afraid of adopting resolute measures to protect core national interests. China should avoid external misjudgments toward it, which is pivotal to the nation's long-term strategic environment.

An ongoing topic - click here for Most Recent Post

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)
  • 4 months later...

Another op-ed piece. Not sure how much weight it carries, but it WAS published in the Global Times

China not biggest victim of 'smokeless war'

Although China reiterates its standpoint of maintaining a peaceful regional environment, it is also preparing to counterattack out of strategic considerations, or when it is forced to do so.

China has been resorting to diverse means to deal with the disputes over the Nansha Islands and Diaoyu Islands. If the military cooperation between the US and the Philippines is leaving less strategic space and policy options for China, it will be more likely to impose such counterattacks.

In that case, the US will find itself being dragged by the Philippines to the brink of a war, while the Philippines, facing a much stronger neighbor, will lose its interests in the South China Sea.

China will never be the biggest victim of a conflict. Stakeholders in the South China Sea need an inclusive dialogue without any interference from external forces. It is the best result if the disputes can be addressed properly. If not, it is better to put them aside.

Residing in the most energetic and prospering region in the world, they have millions of reasons to cooperate instead of going to the dead end of territorial disputes.

The author is an associate research fellow at the Institute of International Relations, Shanghai Academy of Social Sciences.

America should keep out of this. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but isn't oil what the honest truth and bottom line this island crap is all about? Oil fer Christsakes. Once again, it's oil. It's been said that we have enough untapped oil in our own damn country to supply us for 100 years or more. Do we need to take away and limit the amount of oil to everyone else in the world? Apparently our stupid wars in Iraq and Afghanistan are truly about oil (basically it's continued and safe supply to us) and as a sidebar to spread the American way, Christianity, democracy, and all the other hubris we pride ourselves on and try to enforce on every durn person in the entire world...and oh yeah, our attempt to kill every American hating terrorist in the entire world. Yeah, right. And now we need to take away China's oil too? Under the guise that big bad China is stepping on it's small neighbors and bullying them around. Time for us American's to put our white hats on and send out our Navy to do battle with China in WWIII? Go help out them Japanese, Filipinos, and Hanoi....over oil? And again, let's not fergit....the Almighty American Way...democracy, love yore neighbor, peace love dove...until you try and take a drop of oil away from us, Then we'll make up some flimsy excuse that we are going to battle for human rights, fight the "bad guys", kill Commies and terrorists fer Christ and give peace to a whole region...as long as they do it OUR way.

Ya know, I bought into all the rhetoric about Communism I was fed in elementary school and beyond and volunteered to go off and fight some dumb assed war to give democracy and peace, the American Way, and to stop the growth and aggression of Communism for the South Vietnamese people and on onto the entire region of south east Asia.

Even as a lowly officer in the American Army it took me all of 2 ½ months to see it was all a pipe dream. Flying all over Vietnam and Cambodia I wasn’t limited to ground action in a few very limited areas. I got to see how the war was being run, and carried out. I was taking in grunts to fight, pulling them out when Charlie melted away as he always did, and then re-inserting them back into the same LZ's out in the wop wop in the middle of the jungle that we had taken before. I got to meet some very interesting South Vietnamese interpreters, a few villagers, and I even got to sit in on a few high ranking muckity mucks when my taxi service/ambulance chopper was used to ferry in some high ranker from the bush to his pow wow with the other bozos who were running the show.

I swear, even for a small mind like mine it took less than 3 months to see this stopping Communism junk was a lie. I quickly learned I had been lied to for many years. These South Vietnamese people could care less rather they lived under Communism or a Democracy, they just wanted to pay their taxes to whomever and live in peace as they grew their rice and fished to feed themselves and sell for a few dong with which to go buy something from the local market. It was a bright shining lie and it was all crap. Later, I read there was also thought to be an untapped wealth of …you guessed it, MOTHER OIL, and minerals to be had in Vietnam. Yahoo, we’ll put on our white hats, proclaim God is on our side and ride off to protect that thar oil….er ah…stop that Communist aggression.

Sorry for the diversion about Nam. It’s just that I am not so easily led around by the nose anymore when it comes that we are going to go off to “help our friends and neighbors” when a big bad bully is roaming the neighborhood.

Stupid, stupid, STOOPID. Don’t believe a word of it.

Hell, I am no Sinologist but boys in my few trips to Chinartucky it looks like they need W A T E R more than they need oil. Oh, they want the oil REAL BAD, just like us. But water is their own internal war that will give them a fit they had best look after. And us? We don’t need to be starting any wars or participating in one over some more barrels of MOTHER OIL.

I’ve got a proposal for the lying grocery clerks in DC….and one brand of them yahoos is just the same as the other…Shoot all the oil company lobbyists in good ol' DC and actually concentrate on developing alternatives to oil, It’s said we’ve got enough oil in the dirt in our own country to sustain us. We don’t need to go fight Chinar for more oil. We’d be better off to be friends with China, actually act like they are human beings for a change.

Just don’t tell me we are going to go help Japan, Hanoi, and the others that’s a damned lie.

We want that oil from those island regions? Then let’s build 4 36 inch pipelines from the Great Lakes to the west coast. It won’t be long before we can simply trade water for the damned MOTHER EFFIN’ OIL. It won’t be long before water will be more valuable to the Chinese than oil. LOL Tap THIS!!!! Literally.

Tsap seui

Disclaimer: Mr. suei is just a nutty little nobody living in a rural paradise in the mountains. He has his own views of life gleaned from some crazy real life adventures to pontificate his offal from and he don’t care what nobody thinks because he well understands that no matter if everyone agreed with him…nothing will be done to change the status quo.

Read and laugh if nothing else. I am.

• 1 month later...

. . . and the Japanese take from Reuters

Japan PM says ready to be more assertive against China: media

http://news.yahoo.com/japan-pm-says-ready-more-assertive-against-china-084214563--business.html

"There are concerns that China is attempting to change the status quo by force, rather than by rule of law. But if China opts to take that path, then it won't be able to emerge peacefully," he told the newspaper.

"So it shouldn't take that path and many nations expect Japan to strongly express that view. And they hope that as a result, China will take responsible action in the international community."

Relations between Japan and China have deteriorated sharply in the past year, with the main sticking point being conflicting claims to uninhabited islets in the East China Sea, known in Japanese as the Senkaku islands and in China as Diaoyu.

America should keep out of this. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but isn't oil what the honest truth and bottom line this island crap is all about?

Tsap seui

Disclaimer: Mr. suei is just a nutty little nobody living in a rural paradise in the mountains. He has his own views of life gleaned from some crazy real life adventures to pontificate his offal from and he don’t care what nobody thinks because he well understands that no matter if everyone agreed with him…nothing will be done to change the status quo.

Read and laugh if nothing else. I am.

So, I think you mean its none of our business?

:)

Edited by credzba (see edit history)

Yessir, that's pretty much my take on it. Let Japan and China figure it out. They want to kick each others asses over some rocks, fine, jes leave our men and women out of THEIR fight. We don't need to save Japan or anybody else....well....maybe save our own damnasses for a change might be a novel idear. :guitar:

• Like 1
Guest ExChinaExpat

Hello, Sorry,i don't see much of a difference between Chinese bystanders standing by not helping someone in need vs American bystanders standing by.not helping someone in need. Danb

So, in this case, which country and people are in need? The Chinese? The Japanese? What does the US have to do with this dispute?

Hello, Sorry,i don't see much of a difference between Chinese bystanders standing by not helping someone in need vs American bystanders standing by.not helping someone in need. Danb

So, in this case, which country and people are in need? The Chinese? The Japanese? What does the US have to do with this dispute?

I think he missed his target thread (a cross-post) - :secret:

Guest ExChinaExpat

I think he missed his target thread (a cross-post) - :secret:

He may have loaded for bear and couldn't find any bears.

:draw:

The surest way to get the US and China into a war would be for China to attack Japan. Just about any other country and the US would exercise restraint. I think all parties are aware of this. I just hope that doesn't embolden Japan into aggravating the matter.

Guest ExChinaExpat

The surest way to get the US and China into a war would be for China to attack Japan. Just about any other country and the US would exercise restraint. I think all parties are aware of this. I just hope that doesn't embolden Japan into aggravating the matter.

Japan has never apologized for the genocide and war crimes they perpetrated upon the Chinese people in 1938, and WWII. In the minds of the Japanese, they did nothing wrong. Japan may have surrendered militarily after the dual US bombing on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, but their agenda has always been the same. China will not back down from the Diaoyu island dispute.

Several months ago, after Japanese protesters landed on the islands, the Japanese Navy was behaving provocatively toward the Chinese Navy. As a result, the Chinese people sought out Japanese cars and destroyed them. They also completely destroyed the Jusco store in Qingdao. Jusco is owned by a rich Japanese businessman. He recently rebuilt the store and renamed in Aeon in hopes the angry tide had chilled. The Chinese will meet with force any provocative flinch from Japan toward these Chinese islands.

Edited by GuangDongExpat (see edit history)

Amen Carl, I would hate to see Japan big note-ing (as the Aussie's call it) and expecting us to do their fighting for them. We've been in enough "war" because of Japan. If they want to talk the talk, then let them use their own asses to back up any trouble their mouth got them into.

tsap seui

Japan has never apologized for the genocide and war crimes they perpetrated upon the Chinese people in 1938, and WWII. In the minds of the Japanese, they did nothing wrong. Japan may have surrendered militarily after the dual US bombing on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, but their agenda has always been the same. China will not back down from the Diaoyu island dispute.

Several months ago, after Japanese protesters landed on the islands, the Japanese Navy was behaving provocatively toward the Chinese Navy. As a result, the Chinese people sought out Japanese cars and destroyed them. They also completely destroyed the Jusco store in Qingdao. Jusco is owned by a rich Japanese businessman. He recently rebuilt the store and renamed in Aeon in hopes the angry tide had chilled. The Chinese will meet with force any provocative flinch from Japan toward these Chinese islands.

Yes - that same shoe is on all three feet - making that solution not just ineffective, but not a solution at all. The Chinese do as much damage to themselves, if not more so, by damaging Japanese products - although it definitely catches the eye of the Japanese.

Interestingly, though, in shopping for a new pocket camera, I'm told that for a single brand name (Panasonic), the 'Made in Japan' version is better quality and hence more expensive than one 'Made in China'. - that is, 'Made in Japan' is better.

To me, it seems completely incomprehensible why the Communist Party would allow and even encourage the destruction of anything Japanese

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)