Phantom Like

Hmmmmm...yesterday when I clicked onto the board I had an alert light telling me someone liked a post I made. I clicked onto the post he was talking about.....it turned out to be post #38. But, strangely, his name and the fact that he liked my post isn't there. Yet, I have his name and the heads up in my profile that he liked that post.

What's up, glitch in the system? :)

tsap seui

Randy, if you will read my post....

I had a very simple and harmless question....An alert was in my profile that someone "liked" a post I had made. I get plenty of those alerts as I am certain you and everyone else gets. When I clicked on the person's message the link took me to the post that they "liked". Neither the person's name, nor the wording "liked this post" was there. I was not looking for any special attention or drama.

If I have done something wrong by asking a question about a mundane subject like this...then I very humbly apologize to you and the mods.

I can't understand your taking my question and making a whole new thread for it. Is this a new thing when we ask questions? And we get an open threat against us too? What can possibly be the reasoning behind this?

tsap seui

For the record: I did not start this thread that is under my name.

It is a site functionality question, and one which other members might run into. So this seems appropriate to draw everyone's attention to a potential issue.

I don't see any "Like" against the post mentioned so not sure how it can be traced to whether it exists in the system or not. You could also check other recent posts you made to see if a "Like" shows up. It may be that something got crossed from one post to another(?).

For now, an admin can try to see if there are any traces left to posting a "Like".

• Like 1

I had a very simple and harmless question....An alert was in my profile that someone "liked" a post I had made. I get plenty of those alerts as I am certain you and everyone else gets. When I clicked on the person's message the link took me to the post that they "liked". Neither the person's name, nor the wording "liked this post" was there. I was not looking for any special attention or drama.

If I have done something wrong by asking a question about a mundane subject like this...then I very humbly apologize to you and the mods.

I can't understand your taking my question and making a whole new thread for it. Is this a new thing when we ask questions? And we get an open threat against us too? What can possibly be the reasoning behind this?

tsap seui

Your question was put under the site issues forum since it is a site issue. Do you really feel that that is wrong?

What was the open threat?

• Like 1

Thanks David. That was all I was looking for, certainly wasn't looking for a new thread put up falsely under my name, or threats.

The fellas name who I have kept his name out of this is in my "like alert" box...but ya know.....with all this unnecessary drama the point is pretty much moot.

Thanks for your logical and sensable answer David.

tsap seui

tsap seui

Your question was put under the site issues forum since it is a site issue. Do you really feel that that is wrong?

Randy, I think the line about "enjoy it while you can" was where the open threat was perceived. If I were in tsap's shoes, I would have perceived that as an insinuation that I was perhaps on my way out (banned, suspended, etc.). I may be wrong, but that's where I would perceive a threat. Perhaps that was not your meaning, but it could be interpreted that way fairly easily.

tsap seui

Randy, I think the line about "enjoy it while you can" was where the open threat was perceived. If I were in tsap's shoes, I would have perceived that as an insinuation that I was perhaps on my way out (banned, suspended, etc.). I may be wrong, but that's where I would perceive a threat. Perhaps that was not your meaning, but it could be interpreted that way fairly easily.

No - I meant enjoy the 'Like' while you can. They can be fleeting, as this one apparently was.

What can happen is what I just did - I clicked 'Like' on one of tsappy's posts in this thread - first time, the browser crashed. Second time, the button turned to 'Unlike', which I then clicked. So he probably would have gotten a notification for the 'Like' (assuming it was left open long enough for the board software to send one), but not for the 'Unlike'.

Speaking for myself, my trigger finger is twitchy enough that I could easily do something like that (and have).

Ah, now I understand. That makes sense, Randy. I am so glad you explained that because I couldn't get making a threat to fit, although that's how it appeared. Your character has never been one to make threats, so I was thoroughly confused and I imagine tsap was as well. Again, thanks for the clarification. Oh, and I got one of those shaky trigger fingers as well. If I am not typing, I need to keep my fingers off the keyboard.

Edited by Mick (see edit history)

Ah, now I understand. That makes sense, Randy. I am so glad you explained that because I couldn't get making a threat to fit, although that's how it appeared. Your character has never been one to make threats, so I was thoroughly confused and I imagine tsap was as well. Again, thanks for the clarification. Oh, and I got one of those shaky trigger fingers as well. If I am not typing, I need to keep my fingers off the keyboard.

Yeah, sorry 'bout that. Somewhere in there I realized the ambiguity, but did nothing since the whole subject was about a phantom like.