Something is logging me in

Guest ExChinaExpat

Guest ExChinaExpat

I have noticed the past several days that after I sign out of Candle, that I am later magically signed on when I return to the site. I have never seen this behavior before from this or any other website. It had me concerned that my password had been compromised so I changed it. However, the changing of my password didn't work.

I have repeatedly checked to make sure I am completely signed out and then close the browser. I am fully aware that China government monitors this site, but I can think of no reason why I appear logged in when I didn't login.

Has anyone else seen this behavior, or does one of the administrators have an explanation for it?

Guest ExChinaExpat

Do any of the site administrators or moderators have the ability to logon to Candle member's accounts? This concerns me a great deal as that is the reason we all have passwords. Hope to get to the bottom of this.

1 it is a cookie that makes it auto log on next time you visit from same computer, uncheck the remember me box when logging in.

2 no access to passwords, I can reset passwords, but cannot see existing passwords.

Be sure to log out completely by clicking on 'Sign Out'. Then the next time you log in, make sure the 'Remember me' box is unchecked. If this isn't working right, let us know.

You might try deleting all Candle-related cookies under 'remove individual cookies' in your browser.

Guest ExChinaExpat

1 it is a cookie that makes it auto log on next time you visit from same computer, uncheck the remember me box when logging in.

2 no access to passwords, I can reset passwords, but cannot see existing passwords.

I always clear the "Remember me" checkbox before I logon.

Guest ExChinaExpat

Be sure to log out completely by clicking on 'Sign Out'. Then the next time you log in, make sure the 'Remember me' box is unchecked. If this isn't working right, let us know.

You might try deleting all Candle-related cookies under 'remove individual cookies' in your browser.

This is unusual behavior from Candle Randy. That is why I am posting about it. I have used this site since early 2005 and this is the first time I have seen my account show me as being signed in when I didn't physically go through the motions of logging in.

I tried a couple of tests with Chrome, and logout seemed to work properly.

1) I tried just click on sign out, then close browser, worked properly.

2) I tried logging in from 2 browser tabs, logging out 1, sure enough the other was logged out properly.

What browser you using?

Guest ExChinaExpat

I tried a couple of tests with Chrome, and logout seemed to work properly.

1) I tried just click on sign out, then close browser, worked properly.

2) I tried logging in from 2 browser tabs, logging out 1, sure enough the other was logged out properly.

What browser you using?

I'm using Chrome and have been using it since it was released. Keep in mind that this is new behavior for Candle. Something has changed to cause it.

Guest ExChinaExpat

I wanted to provide a little more information about this behavior. For several days, I have logged off candle and closed the browser. I have either been asleep, or left my home for a few hours and return. Then, when I go to Candle I magically appear as being logged on.

I have checked several times to make sure I am logged off by physically going through the motions of logging off, closing the browser, and re-opening Candle to make sure I appear as logged off. And, I appear as logged off.

Then, either when I am sleeping, or away for a few hours, I return to Candle to find I appear as logged on. This is weird shit.

Jess I have head about this issue before from the english school teacher forums and there were a variety of answers but always involved third parties. If I were you I would be very careful of what I said from now on. In the position you are in you have a lot to lose. I am sure you can read between the lines.

1. One caught the school monitoring his email but he lived on campus. They did have full access to his computer as he had some pictures that he stored on his computer and found that they had been moved and some even missing.

2. One set up a camera in his apartment and then went to another location and logged in to it and found his landlord coming in and reading his emails and copying pictures and documents from his computer. I never heard how his passwords were compromised.

Your problem may just be something very much more simple but until you find out for sure I would be careful.

Every case was different but it always involved a third party. At least in their cases.

Good luck.

Larry

I tested this using the latest IE, Chrome and FF. The logoff function and cookies work properly in the tests. I would advise:

1. update your browsers to the newest release.

2. update and run your virus/adware software to the newest release.

3. delete all cookies associated with this website.

4. set an admin password to logon to your computer.

5. observe if the problem persists, if yes then clear all the browser's cache.

This is a start.

Edited by Fu Lai (see edit history)

There are several apps out there that can "read" passwords in Windows XP, Windows 7 and 8.

The apps boot the system in linux and then reads user names, logins and passwords.

We all use these in the IT industry

Just keep changing your password!

That would be your Windows computer account password, right? I had to use one once to get into my Admin account. The way it works is with trial and error, with unlimited tries. It just keeps trying until it hits the right combination (0, 1, 2, etc., etc., etc.) which matches the encryption stored in the machine. Takes about 5 minutes to get all accounts.

There are several apps out there that can "read" passwords in Windows XP, Windows 7 and 8.

The apps boot the system in linux and then reads user names, logins and passwords.

We all use these in the IT industry

Just keep changing your password!

That would be your Windows computer account password, right? I had to use one once to get into my Admin account. The way it works is with trial and error, with unlimited tries. It just keeps trying until it hits the right combination (0, 1, 2, etc., etc., etc.) which matches the encryption stored in the machine. Takes about 5 minutes to get all accounts.

Yes...but the app that I use gets all of the user passwords on one strike. Allows you to also delete passwords too!

Jesse's best bet is to either power down and put an admin password in the BIOS or hibernate with a password required when bringing out of hibernation or sleep for that matter.

Most browsers today can save your ID/Password of web sites.

Check your settings in Chrome to see if this feature is turned on. It could be that Chrome for some reason is logging you back in when you visit CFL after a period of time. If the Admin's can see what time you logged back in you can run a test to check this theory.