IR1 applicant interview process, result, experience

Hello Everyone,

My wife passed her IR1 interview!!

We celebrated by booking an earlier flight back to Shanghai.

Firstly, I want to say how much I want to thank this forum and everyone’s effort in sharing their experience and expertise. Because of your generosity and warm-heartedness, you’ve helped a lot of people out there desperately need of assistance.

THANK YOU!! I want to share my experience with the rest of you out there putting all your effort into bringing your love ones closer to you.

Just a quick background introduction of myself, I’m a Chinese American in Shanghai. I moved to Shanghai five years ago and met my lovely wife (from Sichuan). We registered and got our marriage certificate back in 2010. And after our summer trip to the U.S. in 2012, we decided that it is better to start a family in the states.

TIMELINE:

-Jan. 2010, got married in China

-Summer 2012, took a trip to the states for our wedding celebration

-Sept.27th 2012, started the DCF in Beijing

-Oct. 18th 2012, our case file was forwarded to GZ for further processing

-Nov. 21st 2012, received PACKET 3 (NOA #3)

-Dec. 12th 2012, received visa appointment confirmation email

-Jan. 22nd 2012, document in-take and finger printing

-Jan. 23rd 2012, interview

DOCUMENT IN-TAKE DAY:

-Scheduled for 12:30 p.m.

-We got there at 11 and there were already tons of people.

-Make sure you get into the right queue (there are queues for non-immigration visas, immigration visas, submitting additional documents, etc.)

-They started letting people in at around noon and you must show them your passport (beneficiary) and the appointment letter.

-They check off your name on the list and give you a plastic card

-Take the escalator up to the third floor, that’s your first security check (they take away your plastic card, so I guess if u don't have the card, you'll have to go back in line to get one. Also, they'll take away any food or water from you)

-Go up to the fifth floor, this is the second security check. (they'll take away all electronics and store them for you till you leave)

-And then they'll give you a ticket number (do NOT lose this number, they'll ask for it when you go to the window)

-Then you sit and wait till they call your number (they will NOT call the numbers in order, but most likely by the type of visa you are applying for)

-Document submissions are different for different people. Just give them what they ask for. (some people after submitting their documents will be asked to pay a fee)

-After you submit your documents, stay put and wait for finger printing (they will call the same number again)

INTERVIEW DAY:

-Scheduled for 7:30 a.m.

-We arrived at 6:30 a.m. and there were already several lines (for different visa applicants)

-By 7:30, make your way up to the fifth floor and get ready to wait again.

-Before they begin interviewing, all the applicants are required to take an oath to answer all questions truthfully.

-They'll call your number (same number from yesterday)

-Make sure you bring along all the documents, even though they may not have asked for them yesterday.

-If you didn't pass, you can go to a window to request for details regarding what you need to re-submit.

COUPLE THINGS TO NOTE:

-Document submissions are done by local Chinese

-Actual interviews are done by foreigners who can speak insanely good Chinese

OUR CHECKLIST:

1. Appointment Letter

2. Beneficiary passport bio page

3. U.S. Visa Photos x6

4. Notarized birth certificate

5. Nortarized marriage certificate

6. Nortarized police records

7. Evidence of financial Support (I-864 form)

I-864 one for the petitioner

A letter explaining why I did not file for tax return

8. I-864 from joint sponsor

Tax returns from joint sponsor (W2 and 1080)

Proof of employment from employer

Joint sponsor's passport bio-page

9. Proof of domcile

U.S. Credit card statements

U.S. driver's license

Student loan statement

U.S. Bank statements (with both my name and my wife's name)

10. 50 photos of us, with family and friends (from 2008 - 2012)

11. Medical exmination packet (sealed envelope) and x-ray film

• Like 1

Thank you guys, couldn't have done it without your help!!!

Just out of curiosity and laziness (don't want to search around
the forum), what are the beneficiaries’ restriction on overseas travel AFTER
they land in the U.S.? For example, do they have to stay for 6 months before
traveling abroad? And when they travel abroad, what is the maximum duration before
having to come back to the states?

THANKS AGAIN!

Thank you guys, couldn't have done it without your help!!!

Just out of curiosity and laziness (don't want to search around

the forum), what are the beneficiaries’ restriction on overseas travel AFTER

they land in the U.S.? For example, do they have to stay for 6 months before

traveling abroad? And when they travel abroad, what is the maximum duration before

having to come back to the states?

THANKS AGAIN!

No restrictions on travel, the I-551 notation on visa indicates green card status when endorsed by the POE officer. Essentially they could board next plane back to China after first clearing through the POE.

As for time away from the USA, trips longer than 6 months will affect when can file for citizenship, and periods longer than 1 year needs an I-131 filed for a travel doc.

• 3 years later...

I see that there is mentioned a "document intake day" the day before the interview. Is this still the case in 2016?

Not the day before I beleive, it tends to happen before interview on the same day.