Randy W

That was VERY well isolated from any traffic to prevent any possible attacks by vehicle.

gallery_1846_782_185190.jpg

Where else but China/Hong Kong? Kekou Kele in the 888 ml bottle

gallery_1846_782_187657.jpg

The good news is that RT Mart now carries Doritos - but I'll have to wait and see if they can carry Pace Picante Sauce.

The bad news is I spent the better part of the rest of the day trying to get my new S8 signed up for WeChat. The S8 doesn't have a 'Back' button for full screen apps, so after you submit your verification SMS message, you can't leave the Message App, except to go to the home screen. I finally figured out to Stop the Message App in the App Manager, and that got me back to the Installation procedure, where it was able to complete.

That and unpacking and laundry.

The good news is that RT Mart now carries Doritos - but I'll have to wait and see if they can carry Pace Picante Sauce.

The bad news is I spent the better part of the rest of the day trying to get my new S8 signed up for WeChat. The S8 doesn't have a 'Back' button for full screen apps, so after you submit your verification SMS message, you can't leave the Message App, except to go to the home screen. I finally figured out to Stop the Message App in the App Manager, and that got me back to the Installation procedure, where it was able to complete.

That and unpacking and laundry.

You can 'restore' the three buttons that are hardware on most other cell phones - just drag them up from the bottom. That and the 'previous' button, which makes it VERY easy to switch context, make navigation on the S8 a breeze.

An interesting little art shop in the Dafen district of Shenzhen.

gallery_1846_785_534551.jpg

Seen on the subway in Shenzhen . . .

There may only be one or two of these left on the rack, so if you want to BUY one for your wife for Christmas . . . BETTER HURRY!

gallery_1846_782_777538.jpg

A "Yes We Can" American flag t-shirt (the black one on the left)

gallery_1846_782_196674.jpg

. . . and, unfortunately, these were NOT seen on the subway (nor did I take the picture), but worth a mention

chairman_mao_vintage_chinese_propaganda_
  • Like 2

These topics are all from our trip to Hong Kong and Shenzhen in Nov., 2017. My main goal was to buy a Hong Kong-spec Samsung Galaxy S8 - oh yeah, and to see a few sights and enjoy some excellent Western food. Succeeded on all counts, except that the Ruth's Chris Steakhouse in Hong Kong didn't quite fit in with our activities.

Dameisha and Xiaomei

Our visit to Hong Kong included four days in Shenzhen. One of those days was spent at the beach.

Dafen Artist Colony in Shenzhen

The Dapeng Fortress

Man Mo Temple 文武廟 Hong Kong

Asian-Chinese Fusion 口利幅 Ho Lee Fook

Xoco and the Central - Mid-Level Escalator

The Peak Tram

Shopping in Hong Kong, China, and the US

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Seen at the Guilin Noodle Shop last night.

gallery_1846_744_324101.jpg

A road block being set up across the street from where we ate the night before.
They check for illegal cars and intoxicated drivers. The wife insisted on moving our car off the street (out of the way of resulting traffic), and insisted on driving home, since I had had one beer.
gallery_1846_744_360159.jpg
Chinese shoe sizes - my feet are American size 11W (or 11E) - that's W for "Wide". Size 11 is the Chinese equivalent of a Size 44 or 290, which is ready available (up to Size 45). But because of the Wide size, I have to buy either larger sizes (47 or 320), even for household slippers, or order them from the U.S. Even American brands which normally sell Wide sizes don't carry them in China. We ordered my new slippers off Taobao for this winter in Size 320.
gallery_1846_744_150797.jpg
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure how we missed this on our walk, but Guitouling is a fairly big place. (Guishan is Turtle Mountain. Guitouling is nTurtle Mountain Range).

Attraction that promised a ‘special display’ at weekends leaves visitors feeling flat

b53a945e-d644-11e7-93d7-6d6fc14be448_128

Locals rushed to Guishan Zoo, the first zoo in Yulin in Guangxi province last weekend, only to find dozens of inflated penguins as well as live turtles, geese and roosters, Modern Express reported.

The newly opened zoo advertised itself as a place where visitors could see rare animals and children would be able to learn more about wildlife. Tickets to the attraction cost 15 yuan (US$2.25).

• 2 weeks later...

Hellobikes comes to Yulin - not to be confused with Hello-Bikes of the Netherlands.

Our first bike-sharing service. They left an array of their baby blue and white bikes at the Riverside Park, and we've seen several of them as far away as the Guitouling and Yuan Bo Yuan parks.

I'll post my own pictures later. Looks like their app even shows where the bikes are.

http://www.hellobike.com/

text-logo-icon.png <- there is actually an image here

download-bg01-sm.jpg

Looks like they spent their money pretty quick (from Reuters) -

UPDATE 1-China's Hellobike raises $350 mln in latest funding round

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

from someone else (I have no idea who or why they were filming around Yulin)

Wikipedia says this about his title screen (he uses the Chinese characters for the old name)

Its Chinese name was changed in 1956 from the historical name 鬱林 (pinyin: Yùlín; literally: "Dense Forest"), which only sounds the same in Mandarin as the current one, but very different in the local dialect of Yue Chinese; is uat˥ while is ȵok˨.

The present name is Yùlín; literally: "Jade Forest".