Randy W

Interesting the difference in driving habits....

I got the wife a Lexus ES 350 (leased) to make her happy when we were not talking to each other for a while, or she was yelling at me. The car shut her up. I rode shotgun with her one time on the freeway. She took a huge turn one handed while she was adjusting a shade so her face didn't get hit by the sun. I was thinking "This is the last thing I will see before I die...." We were inches away from the concrete along the side of the road. Not bad coming from a country where they drive like they are still walking a goat pasture. I call her Andretti now. She doesn't understand.

She has a friend who was a taxi driver in Hunan. So far Lena has gone through 3 cars, all of them used, and for some reason the brake pads were always the first to go. Wonder why. :sweating_buckets: Her son just got his license and was T-boned when he turned left in the face of oncoming traffic. (They do it in China don't they?)

Lena knows this area like she knows her anatomy. She can tell you, without GPS or a map, how to get to every outlet store, every mall, every little nook and cranny where any clothing is sold. I swear I was in one store and saw "Lena was here" written in the dust of a table.

I call her, Shortcut. :D

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Published on Jun 23, 2017

Taking a short trip through East Yulin to charge my battery.

We ended up buying a new battery.

Yep you use the horn as much as any Shenzen taxi driver. Do you also shift into neutral and set the parking brake while waiting at traffic lights?

No way! We have an automatic - besides, I wouldn't do that with a manual. Streets in China are surprisingly flat for how mountainous it is. There's only one intersection where I have to worry about whether the guy in front of me might roll backwards a little before taking off. They seem to be skillful enough that they never do.

Changing seasons

Early season pomelos, while watermelons are still being sold

gallery_1846_744_530872.jpg

Pomelos from nearby Rongxian are the best

gallery_1846_682_849084.jpg

. . . and preparing for the upcoming "Mooncake Season" (Autumn Festival)

gallery_1846_744_554197.jpg

This one looked suspiciously like the one last year - but the dragon IS reversed.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Nice video, sir! That is the good life. Somehow, I am surprised to see the little kids roller skating ... as if the grandma's and grandpa's let go of their hands long enough to let them do something a little risky. Liked seeing the one girl who had some moves.

Anyway, that is the great thing about China that people don't ge: it is so full of life.

• Like 1

A swamp cooler at the RT Mart Internet cafe - at least I thought it was, but I don't see any water anywhere

gallery_1846_744_353496.jpg

Chenxi is taking free piano lessons here - his father wants to buy him one when they move into the new building.
They have maybe seven or ten more upstairs for the kids to practice on

gallery_1846_744_158021.jpg

I can safely say that moon cakes are near the top of my "least favorite food" list. During the years I taught in China, I was gifted with a plethora of these little gut bombs and tried to be as gracious as possible, sampling the collection. I did find, however, that after about six months in the fridge, they did make great hockey pucks. :sweating_buckets:

• Like 2