Randy W

Tell me that was not you driving Randy. :sweating_buckets: The horn on a vehicle is the most important part of a car in China. :rotfl:One hand on the wheel, one on the horn, one foot on the gas and one foot on the brake. :victory: I enjoyed the video very much. When the little woman first got her driver's permit she started blowing the horn like that here in the good ole US. I told her, after getting many middle finger salutes, that you gotta stop that or we will be a victim of road rage shot and killed.

OH. I've never told you but I like your car and it is my favorite color. Have you gotten the bumper fixed yet? I missed it if you have posted on it before.

Tell me that was not you driving Randy. :sweating_buckets: The horn on a vehicle is the most important part of a car in China. :rotfl:One hand on the wheel, one on the horn, one foot on the gas and one foot on the brake. :victory: I enjoyed the video very much. When the little woman first got her driver's permit she started blowing the horn like that here in the good ole US. I told her, after getting many middle finger salutes, that you gotta stop that or we will be a victim of road rage shot and killed.

OH. I've never told you but I like your car and it is my favorite color. Have you gotten the bumper fixed yet? I missed it if you have posted on it before.

That WAS me - took the loop by myself, to charge the battery and since I hadn't been that way in a while. They had re-routed the road where they plopped that big pile of dirt for the park.

I haven't looked to see if she fixed the bumper or not - it's just barely noticeable. She's been WAY too busy between the building and the grandson for a LONG time.

As far as braking, I use the same same philosophy I use in the states - if you HAVE to use your brakes, you may just be driving too fast. But each time I've come back from a trip to the states, I find myself doing exactly that (and having to hit the brakes) once or twice before realizing where I was - you need to drive much SLOWER in China for given conditions. Anything that SURPRISES you is bad news.

You have become a true Chinaman Randy. :worthy: :V: What does a new battery cost in China? In the last several years they have become pretty expensive here about twice as much as they use to be.

We bought a European Varta Blue Dynamic for ¥550 - about $85USD. That was actually the SECOND battery we bought. The OEM Toyota battery lasted 5 years, but the Chinese Comet battery only 2 years.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Retiring in China - a VERY Positive Experience

First of all the initial cost was MUCH cheaper than in the west - I'm figuring 30% off the top (665 RMB or barely over $100USD each per tire for Michelin Primacy 3ST in size 215/60 R 16). Then, there were no add-on charges, taxes, or fees, although we did pay for aluminum valve stems and new rear brake pads.

Mounting, balancing, a four wheel computerized alignment, and even a car wash were all free.

We were second in line - they got straight to ours while they were still working on the other guy's

Then the equipment and overall professionalism I would rate at BETTER than I had come to expect at NTB in Houston.

They even know how to (correctly) use torque wrenches!

Michelin Primacy 3ST's were developed in Japan for the Asia/Pacific market.

gallery_1846_744_579060.jpg

They even buffed the inside of the wheels, which I don't think NTB ever did.

gallery_1846_744_284769.jpg

When mounting the wheels, they used a lug wrench to loosely tighten the nuts. After the vehicle was lowered, the torque wrench turned them another eighth of a turn or so before clicking. At NTB, they would use the air wrench - then the torque wrench simply verified that they were already OVER tightened.

This is the alignment rack. All they did was mount the four readout units on the wheels, and the data immediately came up on the computer screen. Only the toe-in needed adjusting. so it only took maybe 10 minutes.

gallery_1846_744_163941.jpg

• Like 1